GeoMoto

Flying Monkey Adventure Rally 2012

Ian I figured you cleaned the jets. Have you checked the valves? It's tough when you can't pin point a problem after you try all the normal fixes. See you at the Monkey.

CiD

You know, I love SDAR....My best friends in the world I've met here... :party: Guys (and gals) who will work on your bike, give great advice, offer you parts and bikes, rides, transport, places to stay, take you to the emergency room when you crash, help you wrestle your bike through the tough spots.... make you laugh til you cry, (sometimes make you cry) , share many meals and many campfires, be there for you though the ups and downs of life.....this place is far more than just a motorcycle forum....

You Guys are Awesome and make me smile!!! Thanks to all my friends here.

The trip will work itself out and be epic no matter what.... I can always hike some days...I love that too !!! cheers, deb :D

Have you checked the valves?

Sounds like valves to me..... :coolio:

That is a really good point, it could be a problem with the valves. I'll check the clearances tonight. Thank you for the tips!

Here's the best explaination I can come up with if it helps.

The bike acted as if it was running out of gas. Sputtered on the uphill and got worse as the incline increased. The more load on the engine, the more it sputtered. It finally just died.

Even though there was enough fuel visible in the tank, I asked Deb to switch to RES in case the ON internal tube was clogged.

Deb tried to start it at a variety of throttle openings with no success.

I bump started the bike in 3rd gear. It fired after getting some higher RPM going at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. It would only stay running in that throttle range.

I turned the bike uphill and put it in 1st while maintaining a high throttle to keep it running. Feathering the clutch while at a high RPM and under load, it didn't want to move and stay running. I repeated the bump, turn, 1st under load, same result.

Paul pulled the fuel line at the valve. Plenty o' gas on all settings.

The decision was made to limp it back on the road as it just wouldn't stay running under load. Deb's bike looked at me and winced, my bike looked at Deb and smiled. Maybe it's tired of hauling the burrito storage vessel around.

Bump started the bike again and it would maintain a steady speed as long as I kept the 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. It fell flat if I went WOT.

I kept it at the higher RPM while riding back and rev'd it while going thru the BP checkpoint (this will get you strange looks).

Even pulling away at a slight incline from the BP checkpoint on old Hwy 80 in first gear, it was a slight clutch torture in 1st gear to get moving again. It felt like the bike would normally pull in a higher gear but I had to downshift to keep the RPMs up so it would run.

When I got back to Deb's truck, I put the throttle below a 1/2 open and it just quit immediately.

I hope this helps.

Sorry you are having bike issues, mine is being cranky also but at this point it is just fine tuning (I hope) I don't have a KTM but when our bikes had similar problems it was the valves, you do have alot of hours on that bike. Maybe just need to shim and you can get a few more hours out of it. Thank goodness you have a trusty back up. I'm riding my crf 250/290 so not alot of speed for me but I love that bike.

Is anyone driving home Sunday morning? I need a ride to Vegas to meet my wife if anyone is going home and has room. Just me and a small clothes bag.

My bike and gear are coming home later.

Covered in Dust

hey eddie,

I know your life is crazy right now..with work and family stuff.....and I'm sure chris understands that too.....I apologize..I didn't mean that to be an insult to you.....hang in there!!!!...hope to ride with you again soon....

No offense taken Chica !!

Thanks Ken for the report on her bike. Very helpful. Everything is pointing to an issue with the valves. I'll tear into it when I get home later today. Hey Deb how does a new 350EXC sound? you could break it in on the trip... ;)

Thanks Ken for the report on her bike. Very helpful. Everything is pointing to an issue with the valves. I'll tear into it when I get home later today. Hey Deb how does a new 350EXC sound? you could break it in on the trip... ;)

It would surprise me- no noisy-crunchy sounds. I suppose the timing chain could jump a notch, but I've never heard of that happening. Maybe one of the rocker footie things broke off.

Wow! what a great friend offering Deb a new 350...actually looking for one myself but the 2012 is very hard to find.

You either have tight intake valves or it's loosing compression past the rings. Valves are easy just a couple of nuts to loosen and tighten again. Rings are just a bit more work but still easy task. Good luck ian

Tonight I swapped the plug cap and the ignition coil with my ktm. No start. So that is not it. Then I checked the valves, yep, one intake valve was more than just tight, it was actually pushing on the valve. Tight exhaust vale too. I put them to spec, and the bike still will not start.

I give up! Thankfully Deb is able to take her other ktm on the ride, it is really her sons bike, hmmm.. Wonder if she will tell him?? ;)

Tonight I swapped the plug cap and the ignition coil with my ktm. No start. So that is not it. Then I checked the valves, yep, one intake valve was more than just tight, it was actually pushing on the valve. Tight exhaust vale too. I put them to spec, and the bike still will not start.

I give up! Thankfully Deb is able to take her other ktm on the ride, it is really her sons bike, hmmm.. Wonder if she will tell him?? ;)

What year is Deb's bike. KTM's have a 2 year expiration date. 2 years of kick azz fun, then sell to a good mechanic.

I can't wait to see you guys!

Does anyone know if the States will get the 350 FreeRide?

-Jesse

Compression/leakdown test results??

Compression/leakdown test results??

That would be next but I don't have the tools.

I have a campsite reserved for 1 person Thursday-Sunday and I won't be using it since I'm bunking in a cabin now......so, just shoot me a PM if you need it and I'll make arrangements with the Ponderosa to put it in your name.....it's already paid up :good: .....just buy me a beer :drinks: