I am thinking about coming out for this. Are there any day use fees? Is everyone trailering/trucking there bikes out?

There are no day use fees and (someone please correct if I'm incorrect) you don't need an adventure pass there, either. I believe most people are trucking/trailering, but there's not law against riding there.

Should be a fun morning!

Once you have ridden trail 8 you are ready to race in the B (intermediate) class.

Really? Maybe I'll do that someday

sorry to derail your thread bob. its just that over in the race forum you are intermediate if you have never been a pro. and over here you are intermediate if you can ride trail 8. peoples idea of skill levels seem to vary significantly. noob, beginner, novice, intermediate, expert etc mean different things to different people. One persons noob is another persons expert..

have fun, enjoy your ride. don't hurt the noobs like last time. :)

I'll be there. I'm not a noob, but this will be the first time taking my f800gs off the pavement. And it's got slicks. So I'll be riding like a noob.

I'll be riding out from La Mesa. If anyone wants to join up for the ride out let me know. I can hit the road early, or I could be talked in to being late.

I have not been there before. Can some confirm if searching google maps for "Lark Canyon, California 91905" shows the correct location?

http://g.co/maps/dhqcz

Should be fun!

-Matt

Enduro- can't see the map clearly-if the small line is McCain Valley road, that is close enough

Spaugh- you're right- an intermediate trail rider on SDAR (like me) is nothing like a B class racer- I originally was going to put novice but, "whatever"...and I didn't hurt any noobs...

Bum- surely you jest...you forgot the "jester smilie"...nobody will get hurt on account of the terrain. If somebody tries to hang on my tail down McCain valley road, and they overcook a blind corner; well...it is motorcycling-stuff happens

I have some rules, but right near the top is "ride your ride"...if I lead you to an obstacle you don't want to do, don't do it...by all means! We'll turn around, find a bypass, I'll get paul to ride your bike for a section; whatever...never feel peer pressure, especially on a newb ride.

Some others rules while we're at it- wait at every intersection that isn't "straight through"...keep track of who is behind you; they're your responsibility

Please wear protective gear- I'm not your mom, but stupid injuries from wearing flip flops just piss me off

Don't ride under ANY influence- I hate that too...if you want to suck back a beer during a break, whatever, just don't become the slightest bit impaired

I'd like people to have tubes and tools, and a bike in decent running shape, but lark is pretty small, should anybody need a tow- happens to the best of us

Looking forward to the ride- when we get there, I'll appoint Captains- noobs can specifically ask them for advice and help- captains will be on radio, so if I don't know the answer, another will...

Bring cameras, some water and some food if you plan on staying all day- I'll be leaving noonish I would guess-

Hello

I live in Ramona and ride an xr250 dual sport.

I am a fairly strong rider and would like to meet some of you!!!

Anyone headed out to McCain's from my area with a spot for a bike?

I may be willing to take a cold early morning ride down Wildcat and meet up.

Thanks!!!

Hello

Thanks!!!

Welcome, don't ride like BikeSlut. rolleyes.gif

Can anyone find a spot for another rider?

I've been wanting to check out Mccain, but unfortunately tomorrow is mods vs rockers and I've already committed to a few friends. Have a good ride!

-Aaron

Hello

Thanks!!!

PM sent

Hello

Thanks!!!

I have room... can pick you up along the 8, around 645ish?

calnub... what? mod vs rockers? shut up and ride

So is this still a NOOB ride? Lots of talk about racing and intermediate etc? Do not want to show up And feel like I am dragging behind.

So is this still a NOOB ride? Lots of talk about racing and intermediate etc? Do not want to show up And feel like I am dragging behind.

TOTAL NOOB ride!

no worries... spaugh was making a joke about racing

here is my basic plan, if that helps- we start out as a large group riding to two different view points on a graded dirt road.

make our way back to the day use area, and ride in a little sand and whoops right near the trucks... we'll have experienced guys sitting around to give pointers should anybody request it

then we'll split in to two groups to ride the ridge trail from South end to Big Rock... each of these groups will have a leader and a sweep on radio...

from there, we'll have two way back to the trucks... a totally easy way, and a mostly easy way... at the trucks, we'll see where we are time-wise

experienced riders I am counting on are paul, trophy, bum, blind, baldbeemer etc ... either as lead or sweep to a group, if you don't mind being volunteered..

it'll be fun, I promise

if somebody wants to do some tech trails at some point, I would be glad to take a small group on some singletrack while the noob group practices in the sand

road riders! Stay off the front brake, ESPECIALLY in the sand, on the whoops, and in the corners... it makes you fall... trust me and my scars on this one

People were making jokes about trails that are not at McCain Valley. :rolleyes:

Roadchick - and others unfamiliar with the area. The road in ( and from the meet point on ) is as BS stated.....graded and EZ. A good orientation and time to get your "dirt legs". The area near the parking/tree/bathroom has a great variety of terrain to practice on so repetition with guidance (if wanted) can be accomplished.

Please don't think you'll be left behind anywhere.....this isn't one of Slut's regular rides.......:party:

my take:

looking for a good relaxing recon ride in an area i am not super familiar with---CheckMark.gif

looks to be unreal weather--CheckMark.gif

SUPER NICE group vibe--CheckMark.gif

learning from this group can be VERY helpful, and seat time(*or for me...STAND UP!!) makes a difference.

simple drills, and basic practice can go a LOOOONG way in a trail environment(*or so i hear ;) )

B)...this should be fun!

:blink: what's that thing rattling???---CHECK!! :unsure:

Ah to hell with it. I'm in. I will have to jet earlier than others, but at least I get to chat with some people I haven't seen in awhile :)

Here's a tip for the noobish- if you think you should be standing instead of sitting, you're probably right.

If you think you should be sitting, you should probably be standing.

If you're standing and think you should be sitting, you're probably wrong.

You'll be doing a lot of standing. I sit only when I'm lazy.rolleyes.gif

That's almost all the time, for me! :lol:

That's almost all the time, for me! :lol:

Yup. But we're TRYING to teach GOOD habits, not our own habits.

You going to make it out, Mimi?

You going to make it out, Mimi?

We have a small crew that will be riding the late shift.

I am in...

Took my ham test today and passed... However I don't have any radio gear...yet....

Any discussion of lunch??

Did we mention new hams bring sandwiches?

Here's a thoughtful link to where we meet- 8 am, be kickstands up, ready to roll, by 815 not just arriving, please.

If you're late, you can hang around, we'll be back eventually.

http://g.co/maps/uzw8m