Do we have anyone willing to lead a Basic Radio Operation Class?

I would be willing to host the event at my home in La Mesa.

Foxtrot Romeo Alpha

PS, There are soo many options on these phones, it is easy to screw up the basic operation!

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

Do we have anyone willing to lead a Basic Radio Operation Class?

I'd be happy to do the basics.

I'm also willing to coordinate an advanced class in the future, but I'm hardly qualified.

laughingsmiley.gifcowboy.gif

Paul,

I'll call you sometime and We can conduct our Class over coffee. You teach, I'll buy.

Dave

I would love to learn about the radio. I purchased the software to program with the computer. If anyone is interested I think we could program many radios quick. I am also interested in the license class as well.

I'd like to be on the student list as well....radio on my list of "Gear to buy"....

I would love to attend a class on basic operation of the Yaesu 270/277 ect. I just barley know how to turn mine on. On a ride with Bagstr and Dan my radio somehow changed settings and all I could do is receive could not transmit. Now most of you would probably consider this a blessing if you were riding with me but I'd like to know why it happened and how to set it right.

Covered in Mime

I would love to attend a class on basic operation of the Yaesu 270/277 ect. I just barley know how to turn mine on. On a ride with Bagstr and Dan my radio somehow changed settings and all I could do is receive could not transmit. Now most of you would probably consider this a blessing if you were riding with me but I'd like to know why it happened and how to set it right.

Covered in Mime

Once you have everything set correctly hold down the function button (the orange one) for a couple of seconds and you will see a little padlock appear on the screen. Now it's locked so things can't change. To unlock it just hold the button down again for a couple of seconds.

I hopped on the radio bandwagon and got my HAM technician rating...I've been surprised at how the repeaters are all in the same places that we like to ride. Here is some very good information for you as a rider to steer clear of trouble when using your radio during rides.

1) use a simplex channel...look them up on the Internet if you need to...good simplex channels are:

147.525 (you know...like KTM 525) choose one for your group and use it throughout the ride. I've attached a PDF with the simplex freqs.

147.510 (for you Husky TE 510 riders)

Simplex is rider to rider communications which is almost always what you want. If you have a VHF radio, you should be good for miles line of sight. You do not want to be on a repeater or on a ARES Emergency channel since this will anger HAMs. I've been told if you annoy them enough, they will find "pirate" operators and turn them over to FCC...also, speeding is illegal and so is ripping tags off of mattresses.

2) IF there is an emergency...you can connect through a repeater and reach a LOT of people...all of San Diego...even ring up emergency services. If you have the right gear (DTMF tone generator and the right freqs) you can make "cell phone" calls through capable repeaters. Many repeaters require you to send a tone to open the repeater. When you see a repeater listed...the freq will look like so:

147.130 + 107.2 - The input frequency is 147.130 the output is +<an offset>MHz and most radios including my Yaesu FT270 do the offset automatically, the tone to open the repeater is 107.2Hz. There is some setup to do...make sure your radio is set to tone and the tone is set to whatever the PL listed for that repeater is. YOU DONT NEED TO DO THIS FOR SIMPLEX.

ECRA http://www.ecra.org/repeater_system_status (East County Repeater Association) is a good organisation for newbies to join to learn from the veteran operators but also because they have OPEN repeaters throughout San Diego. Membership is 35 bucks a year.

Some OPEN repeater frequencies are:

Superstition VHF

146.670 MHz - PL 103.5

Mount Palomar K6RIF VHF System

147.030 MHz + PL 103.5

Palomar VHF

147.130 + PL 107.2

The guys at HAM Radio Outlet in Kearney Mesa have been very helpful and they have the gear you want at good prices. They seemed interested in putting a class together also. Racer X in Santee http://www.racerxms.com/ has the trick Avcomm helmet kit available. I've learned a lot from reading your board and riding with you so I thought I'd try to give back.

Chad

KJ6TZA - 73's and clear

bp0504.pdf

I would love to learn about the radio. I purchased the software to program with the computer. If anyone is interested I think we could program many radios quick. I am also interested in the license class as well.

The FCC technicians license is separate from the PMB special radio operator certificate. That said...getting the FCC one is a breeze. They have ARRL study guides with all the questions available. That makes the test a little easier to study for. Step one is to sign up for an FRN number from the FCC. Then you can schedule a time to take the class.

Did the software come with a cable? How does the computer interface with the radio??? Which radio did you get? I have an Yaesu FT270.

The FCC technicians license is separate from the PMB special radio operator certificate. That said...getting the FCC one is a breeze. They have ARRL study guides with all the questions available. That makes the test a little easier to study for. Step one is to sign up for an FRN number from the FCC. Then you can schedule a time to take the class.

Did the software come with a cable? How does the computer interface with the radio??? Which radio did you get? I have an Yaesu FT270.

I purchased the 270 as well. Yes the software came with a cable.

Question: My little 2m Icom is on its last legs so I've been looking at getting another 2m/70cm radio. I'm wondering where is the majority of radio traffic on motorcycles?

FRS, GMRS, or Ham?

KF6NZF

Question: My little 2m Icom is on its last legs so I've been looking at getting another 2m/70cm radio. I'm wondering where is the majority of radio traffic on motorcycles?

FRS, GMRS, or Ham?

KF6NZF

Search function will be your best friend- plenty of threads. But the short answer is, for this club, 2M ham, specifically simplex at 146.505.

Bump

I am still interested in both an instructional class and the licensing class. Is anything going?

FRS, GMRS, or Ham?

KF6NZF

FWIW - I have the Yaesu FT270R...it was 175 bucks and I've been told it's bullet-proof. It's only a 2m radio. There is also a Yaesu 250 which is smaller because it lacks a full screen.

KJ6TZA

Bump

I am still interested in both an instructional class and the licensing class. Is anything going?

Call Ham Radio Outlet (in Kearney Mesa) and ask them about the technician class and test prep materials. The class is held every weekend.

As far as the instructional class, do you have specific questions? Pretty much between Paul and myself posting to this board, you can do what you need to do for rider to rider and connect to repeaters. The rest is just icing. My only qualification beyond that is my general nerdiness.

KJ6TZA