I woke up yesterday morning with no plan other than to go for a ride. I thought about all the usual places, but was bored. I couldn't think of anything new, so I simply loaded the annoyingly mundane Bailey the KLX onto the back of the Jeep and headed out. I decided whether I would ride north or south of my place when I reached the freeway. North it was....onward to Anza. Once I arrived there, I thought about a place that I hadn't been to for over 20 years.

Back in the day, I used to ride my KDX200 (the world famous Bentley The KDX) down from Anza through to Borrego Springs for lunch and then back. It was a sad day when they closed the through route several years back, but I wanted to see Bailey's cabin again even if it was a shortened ride. In 1991 the road down the mountain was a perilous jagged rock garden (does anybody else remember that?), so I was a little hesitant about that part. Imagine my surprise and relief to find that it was a very civilized stretch when I reached that point yesterday.

This very stretch of road was tricky to stay moving forward or even upright on a motorcycle twenty one years ago. On this particular day however, it was comparatively a freeway.

101_0316.jpg

On the way down to the desert floor.

101_0287.jpg

The weather at Anza was quite cold with gusty winds, but by the time I had descended to the desert floor, there was no wind and the temps were quite balmy. I poked around on a side road or two on my way into Anza Borrego park.

101_0286.jpg

The trail in the valley was quite nice. Not too worn, and as near as I could tell nobody else was down there on a beautiful Sunday. It was like having my own private desert park for the day. I rode into Fig Tree Valley, at least that's what the sign said....although I didn't see any evidence of fig trees anywhere. Then I came to a fork in the trail. The left fork had a sign on it that indicated Bailey's cabin was out that way. I thought that it was only fitting that Bailey the KLX should go visit his cabin. :lol:

101_0295.jpg

My, how the cabin had changed since my last visit. The windows were boarded over, doors were installed, picnic tables and an outhouse had been added.

101_0297.jpg

Everything was in good order. There was no trash around and even the outhouse was in good shape and stocked with TP.

101_0294.jpg

Recent visitors had left behind their festive Christmas decorations, but the cabin was otherwise clean and in good order.

101_0290.jpg

101_0291.jpg

101_0299.jpg

101_0300.jpg

101_0302.jpg

There was a horse corral....sort of primitive. So what wasn't, out there?

101_0296.jpg

101_0298.jpg

101_0292.jpg

After getting a thorough looksee around Bailey's cabin, I took a loop trail back to the north end of the valley. Just before the climb back out, there was a trail that led north and east by a wash. I decided to explore that option a bit.

101_0304.jpg

Was very nice out that way and hardly used. It would be really fun to take that route after a good spring rain.

101_0305.jpg

Eventually the canyon walls closed in and the trail got increasingly rocky. I was pretty sure that the trail would soon become impassable at the rate things were going, so I turned around before I had actually reached that point.

101_0306.jpg

101_0308.jpg

101_0309.jpg

101_0312.jpg

101_0313.jpg

101_0314.jpg

Once I had climbed back up to Anza, I took Bailey road and other dirt roads back to the staging area. It was a pretty neat day. A DQ stop before heading home of course.

To cap the day off, later that evening I had a night cap of Bailey's Irish Cream. ^_^

Looks like a great ride!

I've been struggling with the LED turn signal change out on my bike (need to call Baja Designs later). Put new tires on a week ago and am itching to ride, but can't until I get the turn signal issue resolved!!! Posts like this just make it worse!

DD,

Hey, Thanks for the report. Bushwacker and I were just 3 miles below you Friday. Nice to see the road at the top.

B

DD,

Hey, Thanks for the report. Bushwacker and I were just 3 miles below you Friday. Nice to see the road at the top.

B

At least my spot had a bathroom of sorts. :king:;)

As did theirs- but with more room and a fresh breeze.

Oh, and a view.

As did theirs- but with more room and a fresh breeze.

Oh, and a view.

I love a view from the bathroom....just not of me! :coolio:

I have only met you once, but I always read your posts. I like the fact the you are always doing it, and not afraid to go solo. Get some sister.

Great pictures....thanks for sharing the adventure

- never been up there but sure looks pretty cool

Great one DD! Thanks. I got inspired when I saw your cabin photo on facebook. Too bad I didn't read your write-up here first, or I would have already known that the route I was planning did not go through. But then again, If I knew that ahead of time I may not have ever gone down there to see it. :wacko: