RobATK94

vintage bike ride at corral canyon

im just about finished up my 74 YZ. hoping to run a few 2012 CALVMX races with it, and want to do a shakedown run or two before i get to the track. anyone else have cool old running bikes? just thought it would be fun to meet up with a bunch of the old bikes and cruise around corral canyon or something. im a weekday rider and am in north county. if there is any interest hopefully we can work something out.

I'm afraid that my bikes stop at about 1986. But what a cool idea. I have always wanted a vintage bike, like maybe an early 70s Husqvarna, Bultaco or Penton. ;)

ok maybe i should say older bikes. i also have an 86 YZ250, but for now i gonna run the 74. so if you guys got old dusty forgotten bikes in the garage, regardless of age you should pull them out and see how they are doing. anyways, im a younger guy, 28, and ive always loved the older bikes. something just draws me to them, and someone has to keep those old ones alive! ive had a pretty good list of bikes i have owned, and the majority of them had 2 shocks. im sure there are a few people on here who have the same sickness i have.

so as of now im open to all weekdays. if there is a decent size group and we plan something a little in advance i could pull off a weekend.

Rob, I have raced CALVMX for a few years now and its a blast. The last couple year I have been riding the Marty Tripes series, and just announced that CMC is coming back.

CMC and Marty Tripes have come together, Marty is now Director of Early years of CMC MotoCross. CMC is the oldest MX club in western America, 44 years old and still going Strong. The Peters Family and Marty are looking forward to the relationship.

Look for CMC / Marty Tripes web site in next 2 weeks.

*2012 CMC/ Marty Tripes / All Class's are invited for 2012*

*2012 CMC/ Marty Tripes / All Class's are invited for 2012*

January 29 Lake Elsinore

February 12 Glen Helen REM

March 10 TBA

April 7 Carlsbad at the Ranch,Anza

April 21-22 Diamond Dons,Jefferson,Texas. MT's 100 Works Revenge National!!

May 5 Carlsbad at the Ranch, Anza

June 9 SoCal Vintage Classic at Barona

July 28/29 1 Carlsbad track and Natural track, a 2 day race weekend

August OFF

September 1-2 Marty Tripes Vintage Days, Carlsbad and Saddleback "At the Ranch" Anza,California

October 14 Glen Helen REM

November 24/25 Troy Lee's day in the dirt

December Off for the holiday

IMG_6163.jpg

I restoring a 1987.5 rm 250 hoping to race some Calvmx also. Look forward to meeting up with some other vintage guys.

paging zenosan to the white rotary dial phone in the lobby

Yes Bob I still have three rotary dial phones in my house. But I carry a cell phone.

Rob

Don't believe we have met, but I have 8 Vintage Husqvarnas from the late 70's. My brother and I raced open desert class for 25 years with them. My dual sports are Honda XL's from the late 70's to early 80's. My Huskys are open class desert bikes and not suited for motocross. I still ride them around Ocotillo Wells regularly. Coral Canyon is too far from Escondido. Also, I am 40 years older than you so you may not want to ride with someone from my generation. But if you want to head up to OW sometime I might try to join you. Glad to see someone still appreciating classic bikes from that era.

DSC02017.jpg

droool! i love those old big bore huskys! i had a 78 390 OR about 2 years ago, i kinda bought it on a whim cause it was cheap, and im a sucker for them. only down side is it was an auto, and the tranny had issues. i didnt know too much about husky autos, until i tried to find parts for them....never happened. those parts were non existent it seemed. i ended up selling it to someone who was stock piling auto tranny parts for his bikes. anyways, great bike! i was just talking to a friend about selling my 86 YZ to fund a husky 390 or 430 to play with in the desert. if i ever head out to OW i will let you know.

Guest Crusty

I would love to have this bike again. I fell in love with open bikes after owning one!

So fun to ride on the rear wheel corner to corner.

I used to race one of these at OCIR. Saddleback Saturdays and Corona Raceway.

I would love to race one again.

bikepics-1598962-full.jpg

Guest Crusty

I could ride this old bike. It's a 91 CR 500, is that old enough.

cR500FINISHED010.jpg

droool! i love those old big bore huskys! i had a 78 390 OR about 2 years ago, i kinda bought it on a whim cause it was cheap, and im a sucker for them. only down side is it was an auto, and the tranny had issues. i didnt know too much about husky autos, until i tried to find parts for them....never happened. those parts were non existent it seemed. i ended up selling it to someone who was stock piling auto tranny parts for his bikes. anyways, great bike! i was just talking to a friend about selling my 86 YZ to fund a husky 390 or 430 to play with in the desert. if i ever head out to OW i will let you know.

I have a 79 390 Automatic. They got a bad wrap because many riders didn't understand how the centrifugal clutches worked and would overheat the oil and ruin the trans. There was no middle ground, it was full on to lock up the clutches or idle. Otherwise there would be too much slippage, friction and overheating. These were designed to be desert race bikes not cruisers. Parts are available for the Vintage Huskys from a variety of sources. If you get another one I can direct you to them.

Here is my 79 390 Auto:

DSC01209.jpg

Here is my favourite ride 79 250OR. More tame than the big bore 390's and definitly easier to kick start. As you can see I actually ride my Vintage bikes.

DSC02060.jpg

again NICE BIKES!! yeah i think i was able to find just about every other part of the old husky, just not auto tranny parts. but if i find one, and i happen to have to money to get it you will for sure be on my list of people to contact and get the run down. i dont know why but to me the best looking bikes are from the late 70s early 80s, especially those old huskys.

Love those 18 inch shocks!

Don't be decieved by the length of the shock Dave. What matters is the angle at which it is mounted. Notice they are mounted at a 45 degree angle to the swing arm. It actually gives the rear wheel 12" of travel. The front forks also have 12" and are completely adjustable for rake changes. The bikes in the photos are WR (wide ratio) and OR (off road ...same ratio) models which means they are geared for open desert racing. Their gearing is close to that of a street bike, hence very high top speeds. They also made a CR (close ratio) model for tracks. I have one of these too. Suspension is very high and so is the seat.

DSC02060.jpg

I had a 250OR same year, same rear tool bag. Wow, thanks for the memories!! My old high school friend I sold it to still has it and has raced it in vintage MX.

AC

I love all those vintage rides! One of these days I'm going to get one too. But for now I am as close to vintage as you can get in the modern era: So how about a 2004 with 1984 technology? Does that qualify? :lol:

klr-1.jpg

I love all those vintage rides! One of these days I'm going to get one too. But for now I am as close to vintage as you can get in the modern era: So how about a 2004 with 1984 technology? Does that qualify? :lol:

klr-1.jpg

That's a good one!

Give a few more years, but you are getting really close! :)

Mimi

Like your Kawasakis. Even though I am over the hill by most people's standards (I will be 70 my next birthday) I still enjoy my 79 Husky 250OR. The 390's are serious bikes but the 250 was always my pleasure ride for desert riding. Malcom Smith prefered a Husky 250 so we are in good company. Suspensions are not well understood by many modern riders. The dual shocks mounted properly were not really that far behind today's suspensions. Nice to see someone still appreciating my generation's bikes.

DSC02020.jpg

Don't make me brake out my 2 stroke mighty 80cc big bore enduros :lol: 1975

P1010388.jpg

Don't make me brake out my 2 stroke mighty 80cc big bore enduros :lol: 1975

P1010388.jpg

I really like the rust mods and the full race basket. I'm sure that they were uber competitive because of the range on one tank in the desert.

some killer bikes are showing up. even the baddest of the bad chappys! here is my YZ. it would be really cool to bring out the old bikes and ride.

DSCN0755-1.jpg

Sorry about the old picture but the bike is buried in my garage, haven’t ridden it in ten years.

1983 YZ490 Which I occasionally rode at corral canyon until about 1998

post-14543-032978100 1323819947_thumb.jp

Nice bikes guys. Lets keep this thread rolling. Love looking at old bikes. There has got to be plenty of closet vintage riders out there. Don't let the Orange bias intimidate you.

Show us what you got!

Here is my 85 Honda XL350R in Grand Staircase Escalante southern Utah two summer ago.

DSC01083.jpg