Sign in to follow this  
Metal Twister

Is there a 12 step program?

Well they say that the first step to breaking any addiction is admitting that you have a problem. With that said yesterday was a big day in my simple little life. I publicly announced to all of you that I have an addiction to SDAR. I further promised to ride more and write less. (Shut up and Ride). Thought I was doing ok, untill I got caught red handed peeking at the site by one of the Mods today, and yes I was called on it. I really dont have any intentions on reaching the 12th and final step. but was wondering what the step might be like leading up to the 12th. I know I have a long road to recovery, but I think with time, 10 years, or so things might become simi normal again. Its ok Martin, you can come out and answer this one. I know you've got to be peeking. LOL Does SDAR have Counselors, or Sponsors for these situations?

Does SDAR have Counselors, or Sponsors for these situations?

Yes, your sponsor is waiting at the parts desk of your local motorcycle shop.

(Since you'll now be riding more, that means you'll be breaking/needing more parts.)

I'll see you at the weekly meeting,

Jon

Does SDAR have Counselors, or Sponsors for these situations?

Yes, your sponsor is waiting at the parts desk of your local motorcycle shop.

(Since you'll now be riding more, that means you'll be breaking/needing more parts.)

I'll see you at the weekly meeting,

Jon

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! MEEETOOO 6 TO 3 M-F :):D:D

I got caught red handed peeking at the site by one of the Mods today...

Does that mean you got caught by someone who is able to come here in Moderation? (Me thinks NOT!!!) :D

Please let me know WHEN AND WHERE these meetings are, my fingers are starting to bleed and I'm going cross-eyed... :)

Whats next, admitting that we are addicted to riding? Sure I log on once in a while and check the "view new posts", but my work still gets done(at least some of it) :D:D . I figure I will admit I have a problem when I spend so much time on line that I get carpal tunnel syndrome so bad I can't use the clutch or front brake any more.

Until then I don't actually spend that much time on here(there is no way anyone can verify that is there?)

I think we need a "litmus" test so we can tell if we indeed have a problem. Feel free to add to them.

See how many we get. If you answer yes to xx number of them, you need help. But don't wory we will be right here to help you :D:D:) Ken

1) Is SDAR your home page

2) Do you have your SDAR member number memorized

3) Have you ever had to delete your PM's more than once a week because the box is getting full

4) Have you ever got out of bed to check the board

And just so everyone knows, I don't spend all my time on this board. I did find time to rejet the carb (again)on the DRZ and take it for a test drive today :) Ken

Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to have a SDAR, and bike junkie for a dad? It is very detrimental to his health, along with his families and friends. It seems since SDAR we never see him any more. We used to see him once in a while. Now we just remember him! It’s gotten so bad that at his shop he had the microwave, fridge, TV and honey bucket moved into his office. He just says he doesn’t want to miss anything important? Seems the only time he comes out anymore is to ride. The door flies open, he runs by, the bike starts, and he’s gone. My sister and I had to learn to ride at an early age just to see my dad once in a while. When we did ride he would just roost us and knock us off of our bikes. It is lot better now that he is old. When I put him in the dirt, it gives me plenty of time to unlock the truck, get loaded, and gone before he can catch me. I am really surprised that he started this post. The Judge said he wasn’t even supposed to be on the internet until his parole was up in 4 more months. RIGHT OLD MAN! GOT YA!

Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to have a SDAR, and bike junkie for a dad?

Some how I think intimidation, is around step 19, or 20. You skipped a few... Very cute and clever. :D

By the way your FIRED! Again! :):D See ya tomorrow, Your mean, mean, Dad

Much worse addictions out there. We all need a hobby - and this site is a portal to our hobby. I think I will ride downtown right now.

I knew it was going to be like this when I first read this post :D I tried... Lord knows I tried, but I just couldn't keep away from the dial-up connection this evening, and I'm glad I did it.

After reading the last few from Joliet, DR86, and the 'Twister, my eyes are watering, my cheekbones hurt, and I think I peed my pants :D:D:D:D No wonder I can't stay away, you guys crack me up! :)

Whats next, admitting that we are addicted to riding? Sure I log on once in a while and check the "view new posts", but my work still gets done(at least some of it) :D:D . I figure I will admit I have a problem when I spend so much time on line that I get carpal tunnel syndrome so bad I can't use the clutch or front brake any more.

Until then I don't actually spend that much time on here(there is no way anyone can verify that is there?)

I think we need a "litmus" test so we can tell if we indeed have a problem. Feel free to add to them.

See how many we get. If you answer yes to xx number of them, you need help. But don't wory we will be right here to help you :D:D:) Ken

1) Is SDAR your home page

2) Do you have your SDAR member number memorized

3) Have you ever had to delete your PM's more than once a week because the box is getting full

4) Have you ever got out of bed to check the board

I was going to add #5 Ken. It was going to read, (You know you have a problem when your family makes excuses for you.) So much for that. My kid threw me under the bus! Maybe I dont have a problem after all? But then again I was going to sneek in after midnight to put this post on.

my eyes are watering, my cheekbones hurt, and I think I peed my pants

Just another day in old age RO! :):D

Damn it! Whens that meeting?

Just another day in old age RO! :D:D

Damn it! Whens that meeting?

:D I'm not that much older than you kid, I've just led a hard life :D If it ever does come time for diapers (40 or 50 years from now :) ), they better make 'em so they fit under riding pants! :D

6) When you reflect back on the all the good things that happened this year, and the new smilies Uncle Cameron added ranks near the top.

Now you know ahead of time you will be sitting around Thanksgiving dinner with the family, head bowed for prayer and cracking a smile because you will be thinking of this. ;) Ken

Now you know ahead of time you will be sitting around Thanksgiving dinner with the family, head bowed for prayer and cracking a smile because you will be thinking of this. ;) Ken

I'll be cracking a smile during Thanksgiving dinner because I'll be thinking about bailing after dinner to drive to Lancaster/stage for the LA-B-V ride the next morning ;) (If I pull it off again this year.....the logistics of that ride are always such a hassle )

O.Key Bob, I made it without checking this site or any internet site since Tuesday!! ;) So, I guess I'm O.Key!! I was wondering myself about an addiction since I was sometimes checking this site in between my psychotherapy client's, with curiosity about who, or what was said about certain post or ride.. First I have to tell you that internet addiction is not my area of practice, but these are my feelings about it... There's a difference between and addiction and a hobbie or having passion for something... I really believe that having passion for something is very important for life... all of SDAR members enjoy dual-sport motorcycles and have a passion (well I can't talk for all, but I would imgine the majority).. it is normal that we enjoy riding, planning rides, and discussing about motorcycles and rides.. :D what would be wrong about doing something you enjoy?? ;) It is part of fun in life!! On the other hand, if an activity causes you much distress, anxiety, and problems in yourlife (family, friends, work) then it's probably an addiction, and you should work on it... I guess it is important to have a balanced life, where one incorporates hobbies, activities, sports, work, friends, family etc... but to me, unless it's interfiering with your work and family, or causing you distress, thinking and doing a lot of riding is not a problem but rather a passion for something... :)

In the past two days I decided not to check into the internet, with exception of my e-mail, since I have to check it for work related stuff.. in the evening, instead of the websites, I listened to some relaxing music, did some reading and some talking... I noticed myself being a little more productive in my office (I cleared up a big pile of things to do).. so, yeah.. I guess it's good to balance one's life.. :D but, motorcycles are my passion, and I don't feel bad about wanting to ride, check this post etc.. my famiy knows this is something I enjoy.. but I will try to balance it out more... I personally decided to allow myself only certain schedule to check the internet, as to keep it balanced.. checking this forum in between my clients to see what people responded to this post, that's pushing it... :D Now I will be curious... heck, I promise I will not check it out until tomorrow...

Anybody who feels SDAR site is getting out of hand and causing problems, I would schedule some time for the internet and stick to it... if you have certain anxiety or "craving" need to do it, I would have a plan on how to deal with it.. go out for a walk, do another activity, do some relaxation exercise, talk to someone, or why not, JUST GO OUT AND RIDE!!!! :):):)

What does it mean when you borrow a total strangers laptop for a quick peek at this site? Gotta go before I get caught! LOL

If he was younger than you, it proves that age and treachery will beat youth and agility every time. If he's older than you, it proves the opposite ;)

Oh yeah, it also means you are beyond hope! ;)

I publicly announced to all of you that I have an addiction to SDAR. Does SDAR have Counselors, or Sponsors for these situations?

No Worries, Its just a newbie thing.

I've been there to.... Untill I found the new 6 step program....

.....FIRST---SECOND---THIRD---FOURTH---FIFTH---SIXTH.......

......................." Shut Down and Ride " ................................

I publicly announced to all of you that I have an addiction to SDAR. Does SDAR have Counselors, or Sponsors for these situations?

No Worries, Its just a newbie thing.

I've been there to.... Untill I found the new 6 step program....

.....FIRST---SECOND---THIRD---FOURTH---FIFTH---SIXTH.......

......................." Shut Down and Ride " ................................

Ditto... I guess it comes and goes... :lol: Ups, it's Monday morning and here I am... :lol: I think sometimes it has more to do with not wanting to do my paperwork in my office than this site...but, cool, here I go again, SHUT UP AND WORK!! :lol::lol::lol:

Log off and ride??