SteelRain

Ever wonder why you never

Basically, nobody drives the speed limit. You posted an extreme example. If you would like traffic to jam up, let all cops drive 65 on the freeway. I tried it when I had a take home blk & wht....like being the leader of a parking lot.

The other side is....some of 'em may be going somewhere important like an accident, shooting, domestic violence, cover another officer....prolly not but one going to a second job (you'd get disciplined or fired promptly doing that in SD).

Hold one hand out, palm up. Make a fist with the other hand. Hit your palm with your fist as fast as you can for 10 seconds. If I can shave that 10 seconds off of my route safely to save your mother, sister, etc from getting punched that many times, you can complain all you want. :ph34r:

I didn't have a problem. I was not even concerned. The reality is that if I get a ticket for travelling at the speed of traffic (and I have, he admitted in court - after I showed my video)

There is no excuse for that.

More importantly if a police officer is weaving through traffic at ludicris speed, there is no excuse not to use the marker lights at a minimum.

I don't have bash the boys in blue, I am just a skeptic since never once has one come to my aid.

... not to use the marker lights at a minimum.

I thought that running marker lights was the proper protocol for officers who needed to not follow traffic laws in the line of duty (?) I know that running silent is important for some responses, but thought that the rear blinking yellow light was a requirement. Am I wrong?

I also understand the "rolling roadblock" effect of an officer traveling the speed limit on the freeways. I've seen that many a time...

There is a long protocol that is used to determine when you can and can’t go code (lights and sirens). Many times running with lights just confuses others drivers and delays the officer getting to the call.

People seem to lose their minds when they see a marked unit on the road. If you pull off the highway to take a phone call or look something up on the computer all you will hear are tires squealing as other motorists slam on the brakes. Do the speed limit or just a little below the speed limit even in the far right lane on the highway and you get the same effect. Drivers come up on you and then slam on the brakes. This can cause the drivers behind them to run into them. Then somebody is stuck writing accident reports for the next several hours. If a marked unit drives slightly above the speed limit or with the flow of traffic (which is almost always faster than the posted speed limit) it does not appear to have the same effect. I guess drivers think that well it is ok for me to speed because he is speeding also.

I personally like to travel in one of the right lanes at or slightly below the posted limit. My pickup truck gets the best power and mileage at 3000 rpm, which will put me at 67 mph in overdrive. At a posted speed limit of 70 mph I am below the speed limit so I stay to the right lanes. If I were to do that in a marked unit I would be interfering with the flow of traffic and that is not a good thing.

So yeah you might see cops driving faster than the speed limit without emergency lights on. But before you make judgments you might want to get all the information. Is the officer responding to a call? Is he the secondary unit (not primary) to that call? Primary units may be told to run code while secondary units are just to get there as soon as possible. A southern California cop driving through traffic at 120 mph to get to the doughnut shop before it closes will not be long on the job. If a cop here did what that Florida officer is accused of doing he would be looking at doing time for reckless driving and evading. I suspect the officer in Florida is looking for a new job.

As to never being helped by a cop, well did you ever need help? Did you ask for help? The majority of people never have contact with police, so of course they will never have been helped by a cop. I have found that the people who do interact with law enforcement a lot are doing something to stand out of the crowd. Something like continually excessively speeding perhaps? The best way to beat a ticket is to not get it in the first place. :coolio:

What do you think of Crawdaddys new bike, pretty sweet.

CiD

A street legal two stroke with over 100 mile range is definitly a nice addition to any family!

As to never being helped by a cop, well did you ever need help? Did you ask for help? The majority of people never have contact with police, so of course they will never have been helped by a cop. I have found that the people who do interact with law enforcement a lot are doing something to stand out of the crowd. Something like continually excessively speeding perhaps? The best way to beat a ticket is to not get it in the first place. :coolio:

I travel the flow of traffic.

However, the one instance that will always stand out in my mind was asking a police officer how to get to the jail since a friend had called me (while I was asleep in my hotel, on travel) and needed me to bail him out. I was promptly arrested for public intoxication (I had not had a drink in 2 days) and spent the night in the drunk tank, had to go to court the next morning. The case was dismissed because the guy had no proof (obviously), a few weeks later the officer killed his family during Hurricane Katrina.

You make the call.

However, I was not trying to pick a fight as all the "defenders" love to assume... another chink in the armor maybe, guilty conscience? My frustration comes from the refusal of law enforcement in general (not every officer) to be honest and transparent. I understand that there are those who were picked on as kids and became cops to exact vengence, but that ni the 10%. As a former Marine I never hear about the guys who do good, only the 10% who cause trouble.

Like I said, it is always to fun to see the responses of why it is OK for LEO to break the laws they are supposed to enforce. If an officer is responding to "a call" there is no reason to jam down the freeway for 20 minutes without a light, and the excuse of "some people freak out when the lights are on"/"it is faster without the lights" Are rediculous. Otherwise they would not be installed and Ambulances and Firetrucks would not use them.

Blahde blahee bla bla blah.

I'd LOVE a street legal two-stroke- on the wish list.

Guest Crusty

Blahde blahee bla bla blah.

I'd LOVE a street legal two-stroke- on the wish list.

If my plated 2 stroke wasn't a CR 500, I would trade it in a heart beat for another 450X.

Spent the day at Pala, drinking the RED COOLAID!

You meet the nicest people on a HONDA.

Love the 450X.

The case was dismissed because the guy had no proof (obviously) Or...the Court figured the problem was solved, no sense spending more money on it. Dismiss. Happens every day. If the Courts had every case go thru the system, we'd be working cases from the 80's.

a few weeks later the officer killed his family during Hurricane Katrina.

You make the call. Another extreme example, as usual.

However, I was not trying to pick a fight as all the "defenders" love to assume... Really, what was your purpose then? Just passing on general information?

My frustration comes from the refusal of law enforcement in general (not every officer) to be honest and transparent. I'm sure you have facts to back up this over generalization. Geez, we try to do a good job, which goes unnoticed and you want everything laid on the table? Stuff that can be fixed through training, discipline or termination?

I understand that there are those who were picked on as kids and became cops to exact vengence. Really - ya don't think those would be weeded out during the background and 2 psych tests & meeting with a shrink before they're hired? Facts please.

As a former Marine I never hear about the guys who do good, only the 10% who cause trouble. So why don't you post up some extreme Marine stories. Let's start with the guy who blew his head off when he arrived in my son's unit because he couldn't face the fact he was going into combat. Or the guy who fragged his CO in Kuwait, waking everyone in the camp thinking another SCUD was coming in. Post some of those.

Like I said, it is always to fun to see the responses of why it is OK for LEO to break the laws they are supposed to enforce. If you or any you care about ever need help, which would you rather have...."I hope I can get there to help" or "F them, the public does nothing but complain. If they get their ass kicked, raped, stabbed while I'm on my way, too bad, cuz I'm not speeding." It's kinda like the rail worker's in the UK who were ordered to follow every policy, law & procedure. The place came to a halt. Your choice.

If an officer is responding to "a call" there is no reason to jam down the freeway for 20 minutes without a light, and the excuse of "some people freak out when the lights are on"/"it is faster without the lights" Are rediculous. Otherwise they would not be installed and Ambulances and Firetrucks would not use them. There's a difference in psychology 'tween fire/medics and cop cars. "they're obviously trying to go help vs they're coming after me...better slam on the brakes" It's obvious you've never rolled code 3 in a cop car on a regular basis.

Dave - it's pretty obvious you have an ax to grind. A lot of time it's based in your insecurity, ya know, the need to put others down so you feel good about yourself. Maybe you were picked on as a kid.......

I post a video with some minor commentary. And I get called names and had false accusations made toward me (the case was dismissed because after a field sobriety test, breathalyzer, and blood test I was determined not to have any alchohol or drugs in my system - Looking back the week of Mardi Gras was probably the wrong time to ask an officer for assistance). Then somehow my comments about the 10% who have made a bad example of all the "heros" or our society gets used grossly misconstrued (reread what you quoted and your response; I was commenting about the 10% bad get all the attention) Maybe sometimes people should get to actually know a person before they judge them... then again I am guilty of that at times.

I do know this, I will openly comment about the 10% I knew. But for some reason everyone else seems to want to defend them. Instead of saying not Officers are like this guy (once again something I eluded to) everyone felt the need to go ballistic, it is an interesting commentary on our society.

The police agencies, the military, and all levels of our government allow us as individuals to have and express our opinions in an open, civilized manner. I could argue your points and you could argue mine all year round. I have an opinion, as do you be glad we are allowed to voice them.

Ken, I am a big enough man to realize I really pissed some people off with my opinion on this subject. I am also willing to say "Fine, enough, SDAR is not a place to discuss these beliefs" but I will still hold them about the 10%, not everyone just the 10%. I am not a Cop Hater; otherwise the guys I ride with the most would be my worst enemies. Lastly, if anyone thinks they know me based on this thread (or any similar thread) I will buy them a beer/burger and give them the opportunity to actually talk to me and get to know the human behind the keyboard. I am certain they would be surprised who I really after they judged me on one opinion.

However, the one instance that will always stand out in my mind was asking a police officer how to get to the jail since a friend had called me (while I was asleep in my hotel, on travel) and needed me to bail him out. I was promptly arrested for public intoxication (I had not had a drink in 2 days) and spent the night in the drunk tank, had to go to court the next morning. The case was dismissed because the guy had no proof (obviously), a few weeks later the officer killed his family during Hurricane Katrina.

You make the call.

Ok my call was the officer helped you out. You asked how to get to the jail and he showed you how most people get there, (in the back seat of a cuiser).

This is the part that gets me.

But Miami Police Detective Willie Moreno told CNN affiliate WFOR in Miami that the department will determine whether to take any action against Lopez after a judge rules on his case.

He may still be innocent, right? Dept looks bad not coming out and saying that this type of behavior is unacceptable and disciplinary action will be taken.

This is the part that gets me.

But Miami Police Detective Willie Moreno told CNN affiliate WFOR in Miami that the department will determine whether to take any action against Lopez after a judge rules on his case.

He may still be innocent, right? Dept looks bad not coming out and saying that this type of behavior is unacceptable and disciplinary action will be taken.

Been waiting all day for somebody to catch that. My chief frustration and the entire reason I posted it to begin with. I know what would happen if I were speeding to get to my place of business.

:torch:

A Miami police spokesman couldn't be reached immediately for comment Saturday. But Miami Police Detective Willie Moreno told CNN affiliate WFOR in Miami that the department will determine whether to take any action against Lopez after a judge rules on his case.

Talk about out of context. The artlcle said the dept spokesman couldn't be reached so a reporter found some detective to make a comment? Departments of that size usually have Public Information Officers. So....the department didn't make a comment at the time of the article.

In this case, an acting Chief commented later:

Manuel Orosa, acting Miami police chief, told El Nuevo Herald that any person driving at that speed is seriously endangering public safety. He said he has ordered an investigation.

“We learned of the incident the day it happened and immediately sent our internal affairs officers to contact the Florida Highway Patrol,” Oros said. “We are investigating administratively.” FHP is also investigating

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/30/2479870/miami-mayor-on-speeding-officer.html#ixzz1cKBUNyB4

"I know what would happen if I were speeding to get to my place of business." Yes Dave, if you got caught, you would probably get a ticket, go on your way, not lose your job and nobody would start some "former Marine gets a ticket - he should be more disciplined than that" thread.

"I know what would happen if I were speeding to get to my place of business." Yes Dave, if you got caught, you would probably get a ticket, go on your way, not lose your job and nobody would start some "former Marine gets a ticket - he should be more disciplined than that" thread.

First off, over 100 is pretty much and evading is pretty much a "Go Stright to Jail do not pass go" card.

Secondly, if I did either of those I would loose my job. I have a level of clearance that would disappear immediately, instant loss of job in my world. You forget what I do... or have never asked.

Lastly, I give as well as I take. When "one of my own" makes a major mistake and I come across it, I will share it and take the opportunity to let others know this is not all of us, but it does happen. Not defend the accused and try to pick at any possible chink in the armor or anyone who feels there is a problem with it. Ref: Hipocrisy

Not defend the accused and try to pick at any possible chink in the armor or anyone who feels there is a problem with it. Ref: Hipocrisy

Two things, first I apologize for my previous post. It seems that I misspelled cruiser. Second who was defending the accused? One of the things you asked was why you see cops speeding. Trophy and I both tried to answer your question. You made generalizations without giving facts, and then you fault us for not giving stats. Sounds like you are asking me if I still beat my wife and then demand I only answer yes or no to the question. No way can I win on that one.

As to why departments do not come out at the beginning and say what discipline they are going to do. Well shouldn’t they investigate first? And it is common practice when you have criminal charges to hold off on the investigation until after the criminal case is over. To do otherwise could interfere with the criminal case. Then even if the officer is found innocent in the criminal case he may be disciplined because of the department’s investigation.

You have thrown out a figure of 10% of law enforcement being bad. Where did you get that figure? That would be one out of every ten cops being crooks. I would not work for a department like that and I’m pretty sure Trophy would not either. Generally speaking law enforcement in Southern California is pretty clean. Do some cops mess up or become corrupt? Yes the do and they go to prison for it. Still I do not know of a single agency in San Diego County that has anything near a 10% corruption rate.

Oh and I think a plated 300 2 stroke would be great. Maybe after fuel injection comes out?

The cop apologists seem to be out in force. The guy was acting like an asshat. There have been a lot of them lately. Guess that makes them (la policia) just like everyone else. Some are dicks and some are nice people. My experience lends me to believe there are more of the former.

They deal with ---- ** Really?** everyday - and it shows.

That's just my opinion.

(BTW - I hear the word ---- on prime time TV so why edit it out???)

Now... important stuff:

What local shop(s) is/are open tomorrow for tire changes?

Full Throttle in Santee will be open and I am swinging by there to get new tires put on my Motard right after work.

Now... important stuff:

What local shop(s) is/are open tomorrow for tire changes?

Full Throttle in Santee will be open and I am swinging by there to get new tires put on my Motard right after work.

Nice guys- had them mount up a set before the Bar10.