Crazy Canadian

Canadian noob who just moved here from TN...

My girlfriend and I just moved here from TN as she got her dream job with UCSD. Now I am a bum who's supposed to be looking for work but is spending most of his time on two wheels exploring the countryside instead... Anyhow my present stable includes a Tiger 1050, Bonneville T100, DRZ400 (still in TN as it wouldn't fit) and XT225 (girlfriend's learner ride)... Presently I am thinking about selling the DRZ and buying a KTM 690 Adventure or something of that sort that can do longer off highway trips. Glad to be here and looking forward to getting out to ride with all of you.

Welcome to San Diego and SDAR.

First order of business: Dump the 1050 and get an 800XC!

Welcome to the crew :) A KTM 690 Rallye wouldn't suck, hehe.

Welcome to the forum. Maybe see you on a ride, soon. Hope you're not a hoser! ^_^

Welcome Canadian brother (I just learned I am a Canadian citizen) to San Diego.

The 400 or 690 will be great for the desert. I have a DRZ400K that works great in the wide open.

welcome to the club... tell her that joining the club, and riding with us is "networking"... in other words, looking for a job

sometimes networking takes MONTHS to actually land a job... good luck

Welcome: There are a few KTM 690s here and very capable in the right hands.

Here is mine in February at our Annual Desert Dash and a little snow

P1000536.jpg

And in Supermoto form

KTMSM.jpg

Welcome to the club and to San Diego Mr. Canadian. The club does mostly dualsport rides where a light weight bike is best. Less numerous rides are long range tours which are better for bigger bikes. There is a little something for everybody here. The DRZ or Ktm 690 would do great. Club President Randy rides a KTM 950 adventure even on the small bike rides.

(Huffy, really, you show a snow photo to a Canadian? What you don't think he knows what real snow looks like?) :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club and to San Diego Mr. Canadian. .

(Huffy, really, you show a snow photo to a Canadian? What you don't think he knows what real snow looks like?) :rolleyes:

Well OMG, look who it is, a voice from the past.

Also, Crazy Canadian, welcome to the forums !

Welcome to the club and Socal.

Hey Jon, how do you go through life and not know you are a canadian citizen, eh? Join the military and not declare a canadian citizen, eh? Hoser!

Welcome Canadian brother (I just learned I am a Canadian citizen) to San Diego.

The 400 or 690 will be great for the desert. I have a DRZ400K that works great in the wide open.

Nice to hear from you again Roger.

Welcome to the club...Good luck on the bike and job search......You picked a great time of year to arrive...just in time to miss the winter elsewhere..(first time I visited TN, there was a foot of snow in downtown nashville and everything was "froze up" as they said.....)

enjoy those rides...after all , she must appreciate you moved here for her, so she should give you a little slack right?. :D ..see you on a ride.

Hey Jon, how do you go through life and not know you are a canadian citizen, eh? Join the military and not declare a canadian citizen, eh? Hoser!

Our Northern neighbors just changed their citizenship and naturalization laws. As of the last change I am now a Canadian citizen.

Thanks guys, I am very happy to have missed Nashville's first snow of the year last night. On the bike subject. The 1050 was bought when my 1200GSA was turned to scrap by a senior citizen who decided to drive his camper up the wrong side of a blind corner on the Natchez Trace. The 1050 always has been and will be a fill in bike bought cheap off a buddy in TN who had to sell his bikes or have his house foreclosed on. Been waiting to see the new Tiger 1200 or buy another GSA, love the Tiger 800 but I do a lot of long distance riding (nearly 60k in less then two years of having the GSA) and the 800 doesn't do it for me. I bought the DRZ for the local trips but it's top end for the quick bits, left me wanting more. So I figure a Triumph or BMW 1200 and a KTM 690 will cover the spread I am looking for.

Odd question... You all brought up hoser... So without use of Google, Wiki or any other search, who knows what Hoser really means?

Odd question... You all brought up hoser... So without use of Google, Wiki or any other search, who knows what Hoser really means?

I know what that means...

strangebrew.jpg

Or maybe...

dirt-bike-dave-albums-hanson-picture36913-i-hansons-hi.jpg

I know what that means...

strangebrew.jpg

Or maybe...

dirt-bike-dave-albums-hanson-picture36913-i-hansons-hi.jpg

Those maybe examples of Hosers but where does the term come from?

I guessed before I googled... and was close but no cigar

I guessed it was crazy canadiens stealing maple syrup from other peoples trees, by sneeking up, and hooking up a hose (so as not be obvious to syrup farmers... or whatever they're called)

CC

The folks here will always tell you the 690 is Too heavy for the type of riding we do. That is be cause. Most haul their bike to trailhead. Best used to connect offload via pavement, not long highway hauls. There is a weight penalty offload, but street motor is plus.

CC

The folks here will always tell you the 690 is Too heavy for the type of riding we do. That is be cause. Most haul their bike to trailhead. Best used to connect offload via pavement, not long highway hauls. There is a weight penalty offload, but street motor is plus.

totally agree- due to the huge expanse between SD proper and riding areas, you have to pick your poison if you want one bike to do it all... how much more does the 690 weigh, as opposed to a DRZ

I would guess you are within 20 or 30 pounds with a full tank... not much when you consider how miserable the 5 speed DRZ with off road gearing is on the freeway

I also feel that if you don't fall over, bikes don't feel that heavy... ok- my V strom felt heavy... but dual sports don't

get used to a 690, even in the tight stuff, and it's a great do it all bike

edit

Weight (no fuel): approx. 138.5 kg (305.4 lbs)- a DRZ is 291

CC

totally agree- due to the huge expanse between SD proper and riding areas, you have to pick your poison if you want one bike to do it all... how much more does the 690 weigh, as opposed to a DRZ

I would guess you are within 20 or 30 pounds with a full tank... not much when you consider how miserable the 5 speed DRZ with off road gearing is on the freeway

I also feel that if you don't fall over, bikes don't feel that heavy... ok- my V strom felt heavy... but dual sports don't

get used to a 690, even in the tight stuff, and it's a great do it all bike

edit

Weight (no fuel): approx. 138.5 kg (305.4 lbs)- a DRZ is 291

Maybe I should put up a few pics of single tracking my GSA... 305 is nothing... I went from street bikes to watching the Long Way series to a time when I could only afford my GSA (boohoo can only afford a BMW). Anyhow my very first off road adventures were on a 600 lbs GSA. One fact I have learned bout myself is that I hate hauling bikes. I have both an enclosed 12 foot trailer and hitch hauler for bikes... Neither gets much use as if I am going to waste the gas to get my Jeep out there I would rather off road it. I love to ride and would rather have bikes where I can go where I want and not have to worry about getting back to my Jeep.

And the term Hoser goes back to the days of outdoor rinks. The ice would get torn up while you played and the loosing team had to hose it down after the game. Therefore the losers were the Hosers.

oh- i read otherwise... people out on the plains were using hoses to steal peoples gas... I didn't even know Canada had plains

oh- i read otherwise... people out on the plains were using hoses to steal peoples gas... I didn't even know Canada had plains

I have heard that one too, but growing up it was always told to me as the Ice cleaners/ losers one... The guys at Canadian ice rinks who work the Zamboni are called hosers, so it always made sense to me....

CC

I would guess you are within 20 or 30 pounds with a full tank... not much when you consider how miserable the 5 speed DRZ with off road gearing is on the freeway.

Something else to consider is the maintenance required. The smaller displacement European and some Japanese bikes need oil changed almost every ride and valves checked / adjusted very often. These bikes are dirt bikes with a plate. The bigger displacement bikes are normally not as maintenance intensive, but they are a little heavier. The KTM 620 and 690 are great bikes as is the Husky TE 610 / 630. Some of the guys here ride the Honda 650L, its a big bike but it will get you there. Pyro rides his KLR 650 everywhere but he is one of a kind I think. Crawdaddy has his little Yamaha 250 as his adventure bike, but it might be a bit underpowered for sand. Lots of bikes to chose from. Id suggest bringing out your DRZ and riding it for a while, give yourself some time before you decide.