Goofy Footer

SD to Denver In One Day Tell Me How!

This is a great ride, I did it a couple years ago, but on a HD FAtboy. It took me 16 hours, 7 gas stops and some rain gear, don't leave without it. You didn't say which route you are taking, there are two that work. One is up through Vegas, Utah and east on Highway 70 across the mountains, its a gorgeous ride but if you hit the mountains(about an hour and a half out of Denver) at night definitely slow down, there are many elk out there. I saw a few on the side of the road that had been hit by cages. The other route is south and up through New Mexico. it's a little longer and either will way you could run into some serious weather.

I agree with all the other comments, stop if you need to and a truck stop shower should be planned, it will make a new man out of you. Avoid the energy drinks but if you have to have them I agree that "5 hour" is the better choice.

On my trip I left at 3 am and arrived at 830pm give or take.

it can certainly be done on the 650 but bring along some chain lube and check it at every stop.

Good luck you can do it.

Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply. The weather isn't pleasant in the mountains right now but will be clear tomorrow and in the 40s. As of now I am thinking 15N to 70E, I will make a big decision if I'm going to shoot over the mountains when I get close to them and see how I fee and am holding up. What is your specific New Mexico route? I'm on Google Maps now looking at ways through Flagstaff and whatnot. If the weather isn't cooperating for me and I am not feeling it, I will stop and take two days to get there. Any fun routes on the way back? I could take 2 days easily and would enjoy a different route. Thanks!

Ya, Highway 70 across Brekenridge can be a bear and go from beautiful to full snow activity in just a few minutes. When I arrived at the top I stopped for gas and was told there was a snow storm due in about 30 minutes so I gassed and got my tail out of there quick. The nice thing was that coming down the mountain toward Denver it seemed to warm up, which was welcomed.

Another good route is take 87 south out of Denver (it turns into 25). The route takes you through Colorado Springs and south throught Albuqureque. In Albuquerque you can either take 40 and head west or stay on 25 south to Las Cruces and then take 10 west back home. If you have two days to do this is not a bad ride. Like I say it's longer that taking 70 but is different and has some nice scenery until you take 10 west, then it's a lot of desert back to SD.

Tim, some advice and routes from a friend who had ridden and driven to Denver many times....

We run back and forth to Denver alot. Suggest that he ONLY ride during day lighthours. (allowing two days, each way) The temperature drop after sun down, cancause black ice, anyplace that there is moisture. (Ask me how I know) BAD NEWS, on a motorcycle. Either way he goes, he will have to cross the continental divide. Look at the AVERAGE altitiude... and dryer (high desert) areas. I like the back roads of Ariz,East of Phoenix take AZ SR-60, AZ SR-77, and AZ SR 191 up to I-40.Into New Mex, north on NM SR 491, NM SR 64,Into Colo SR-160 (Crosses the Continental Divide) If the weather is bad, go eastto I-25 north, on Co SR 160. For fun, go CO SR 285 north to Co SR 50, and then toI-25. IMO, this is the best motorcycle route... But you are SOL, if it gets cold,or snows. Raton Pass (the pass over the Colo/New Mexico state line, on I-25) and thecontinental divide on I-70 (Eisenhour Tunnel) is where we have found the worst ofthe weather, if it is raining/snowing/blowing. DO NOT attempt to ride up in the mountains, at night!!! -Toe-Knee!

Randy and Jim, I will look at both your routes right now.

Attached is my mapped out plan for 15N to 70E. I would do the same for the other routes as well. 120miles on stock tank plus rotopax as backup. I'd prefer not to pull over on the side of the freeway to put gas from my rotopax into my tank but if so I'll do it.

(the formatting is horrible, I'm using text edit)

SD to Denver Gas-Rest Stops .pdf

I dunno, those tags on your new riding gear may cause some unwanted wind resistance.

C'mon. ride this bad boy all the way through. 1080 will be a nice little accomplishment; even better that you're on a skinny little ADV bike.

Skip the motel reservations and ride until you're tired, then stop. But i don't think you will stop before Denver.

I predict you'll ride all the way through--and enjoy yourself to boot.

Yes, the windscreen looks fine. Higher would be best, I gotta say. But what you have looks fine.

Go get 'em!

Did a little pre-ride to test out the gear and windscreen just after it rained last night. I need to either move the screen up 2 inches or doubleside tape and clamp an extra piece of plexiglass at the top cause woa, what a difference it makes blocking the cold wind! The jacket held up great, I need to try some smaller gloves, get a dualsport or street helmet and probably more importantly I need to either buy a new skibib or get some solid riding pants. bboyle9 and I rigged a nice set-up for the rotopax and I'm happy with it. Overall good little test ride.

Is my windscreen too low? What do you guys think?

post-14322-017698500 1319622117_thumb.jp

I plan on taking at least 2 full days riding home.

If I were you I would put a great deal of thought into Jimbo's route. My buddy Dan and I did a very similar (if not identical) route a few few years back. We had some cold spells but phoenix to flagstaff if wide open road with lots of clearing out to the treeline; it was also the warmest leg of our ride.

I have convinced P1 to let me join you (for the ride, I need to go to the Denver area anyway) if the XR tank arrives in time. I swore I was done with IBA style rides after the B2B Insanity ride...

Need a riding buddy? :party:

If I were you I would put a great deal of thought into Jimbo's route. My buddy Dan and I did a very similar (if not identical) route a few few years back. We had some cold spells but phoenix to flagstaff if wide open road with lots of clearing out to the treeline; it was also the warmest leg of our ride.

I have convinced P1 to let me join you (for the ride, I need to go to the Denver area anyway) if the XR tank arrives in time. I swore I was done with IBA style rides after the B2B Insanity ride...

Need a riding buddy? :party:

I'm burning with envy.

I have an extra acerbis huge tank that fits my xr600. Not sure if it'll fit your xr Steel but its available if you want to borrow it. I think its like a 5.7 gallon. It gives my 600 a 200 mile range. Let me know.

If you take the route through Albuquerque, and the timing works out, consider stopping at one of my all time

favorite restaurants -- Cervante's (5801 Gibson Blvd, SE). The best New Mexico cuisine you'll find!

Current pic from Colorado Springs

Yeah, weather in parts of Colorado is very unpredictable due to all the mountains. There is potential for nasty weather this time of year in the high elevations, not good on a bike.

Speaking from experience, I came close to not getting out of the mountains in Baja due to hypothermia and LOTS of stupidity many years ago, if you get cold- I mean really cold, get off the bike. If you can't unbend your fingers or figure fuel milage in your head STOP. I still have'nt got warm and shiver when I think how stupid I was. The problem is you lose the ability to think- bad on a bike. The cold wind will get you.

I will pitch in for a rental car.

Uncle C.

I have a good friend in Denver. Great rider - dirt or street. He won't ride in this stuff.

I have an extra acerbis huge tank that fits my xr600. Not sure if it'll fit your xr Steel but its available if you want to borrow it. I think its like a 5.7 gallon. It gives my 600 a 200 mile range. Let me know.

Tank you... :lol:

The XRL tank won't work on an XRR. My tank just showed up today, but I won't be buttoned up in time to join Goofy.

Current pic from Colorado Springs

= Epicness

I need to get the whiteout riding video from my Ride posted up... A decent rider can ride in much worse than that and do it safely, just ask any of the guys I used to ride with when I lived in DC.

Goofy just left my house, I loaned him some stuff to help him stay comfortable and dry on his ride. He's ON !

Good luck Tim ! We'll be looking forward to hearing about it.

Yes I am still going to attempt this. Thank you bboyle9 for being foolish enough to loan me your trusty DR for this ride. Thanks for all the opinions and advice. Special thanks to those who loaned me gear! I need to get sleep so I'll keep this quick but realistically I will split this ride into two days. I would like to make it to Albuqurque, NM tomorrow night and make a judgement call based on current weather conditions in Denver for an attempt on Friday. I am not going to attempt something that is clearly outside my limits. I've spent many nights backpacking (including solo) and know my abilities and what I am willing to do. At worst, I attempt a Denver run on Friday (weather is clearing day by day) and if everything goes to hell and I must turn back, I'll shoot over to El Paso where I just happen to know a very cute blonde girl with an east coast accent who would be thrilled to have me. Not a bad back up plan eh?

This is sdAr so we'll see where this little adventure takes me. I am configuring my Spot and I will update this posting with the link to Strega's website.

>>> GoofyFooter.whereamiriding.com

http://goofyfooter.whereamiriding.com

Thanks again!

My Route

post-14322-089059900 1319690213_thumb.jp

I like the sense of adventure, hope all goes well. Have fun and report back!

Blonde, accent,female! Brrrr I think the weather picture is getting worse by the minute! Head south young man, head south.

Not even 300 miles and he's already strayed from his planned route... now that is adventure! :-)

the last i heard from him he took a wrong turn and ended up getting chased off a military base for taking pictures. he still seems a little far from Area 51 but who knows.

"my head feels like the drumset at a zepplin concert"

Looks like Goofy Footer is almost at the New Mexico, I can't believe he's still on the road, 17 hours plus so far. Please ride safe out there Goofy Footer!

I like the sense of adventure...

Looks like our boy made it in great time; I never doubted it.

Why have an adventure bike if you don't want to ride it in the dark, on the ice, in the snow, to a blonde girl with a foreign accent's house? I mean, COME ON, folks!

Are we selling Southwest Airline flights or promoting (semi) responsible dual sporting? :)

You know dat's right! That's what it's all about. Can I get an amen?

Let us know how it went, GF.

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in so I'll do both...

In the spirit of Adventure I've both decided to go visit the blonde in El Paso AND make an attempt at the Iron Butt in doing so! Its almost perfectly 1000 miles from Albuqurque to El Paso to San Diego.

When else am I going to be able to attempt such a ridiculous feat on a bike that isn't even mine??

If you're bored at work feel free to check on my progress, I'll be checking the forum if I have the time.