Goofy Footer

SD to Denver In One Day Tell Me How!

Okay, so one of my friends, and bboyle9's best friend, is having his bachelor party THIS weekend in Denver. I didn't book a flight like the rest of the guys cause I mixed up the dates. I thought up a Genius plan however and I've somehow coerced bboyle9 to let me ride his stock DR650 from San Diego to Denver direct.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just here to party.

Am I crazy? What do I need?

I have a leather riding jacket and thermals. I'll probably buy/borrow a street bike helmet. I'm gonna try to borrow my neighbors IMS tank so I have more than 100 mile fuel range.

I think I'll ride direct Thursday morning to Denver. Weather says cold cold cold. Ride home on Sunday, probably stop at the CA/NV stateline and stay at Buffalo Bills or whatever for the night.

1,078 miles San Diego to Denver 17 hours 6 minutes. I've driven back and forth from SD to Dallas, I think I can make this. I plan to load up on Monster Energy drinks and 5 hours (plural).

I looked up the Iron Butt Association and there are guys doing way more nuts things than this.

(BTW thanks SteelRain... after talking with him my mind starts to wander into strange motorcycle places and stupid ideas like this creep into my skull)

Tell me if I'm an idiot or if it can be done. At worst it'll be an adventure!

I have the willpower I just need the way, so give me advice ASAP!

Riding a stock DR650 all that way....yes, you're nuts ! :lol::o

Not that it can't be done, but I sure wouldn't want to do it on that bike, with no wind protection either. I've done many 1000+ mile days, but on bigger, more comfortable bikes (FJ1200, KTM 950, Seca 750 with windshield).

Don't want to discourage you, if you're up for the challenge, DO IT ! You're young and have the willpower...at your age I'd probably try it also.

Be sure to have lots of layers of warm clothing (leather jacket and thermals won't be enough, trust me), also carry a rain suit for sure...and that helps break the cold wind if it gets too cold...you DEFINITELY need to have a rain suit for this trip...if you get wet, you won't make it. Warm gloves, hope you have leather or warm pants, and bring insulated underwear. You should have the high-tech, thin stuff like at REI that helps keep you warm. Have a neck thingy to keep the wind off your neck and prevent it from going down the front of your jacket. Actually, 2 of them would be better. Also, don't want the cold wind coming up into your helmet.

I did a cross country trip from NY to San Diego, up to Oregon, back to SD, to Houston and back to NY in late October until the end of November (5 weeks), we did the southern route and avoided Colorado. There were times it was borderline too cold to ride although we made it 11,000 miles but had the proper clothing to stay warm.

PM sent, call me...I have some stuff you may be able to use for the trip.

Randy thanks for the reply. I need more positive and constructive encouragement like that!

I'm gonna beg and plead with my neighbor to borrow his tank and seat. He also has a windscreen that he used while in Alaska. If I can score these DR goodies I'll be way better off.

Good advice on the rainsuit. If I get wet I'll be screwed. I was backpacking along the coastal bluffs north of San Francisco once and got absolutely dumped on for hours. It was horrible and being wet sucked. I have a lot of camping and snow gear and definitely plan on layering up! Windproof fleece!

Awesome...

First what's the longest you've done up till now?

High wind and wet weather make dangerous roads on your route. I've driven through denver on the way to ks from diego more than 8 times. Might need to check about chain requirements. I am not sure what the rules are for bikes???

Dress in layers.

In my personel opinion avoid all energy drinks, though I know this will likely never happen.

Power naps are awesome and a truckstop shower can bring you back to life in 15 mins.

Newish tires? Lots of pad left on brakes?

Something to bead water on your helmet visor or goggles... rainex or likewise.

Plan a route and stick to it, schedule checkins with someone. Use spot or alternative for sure.

Watch for ice! Elk, deer, bear, and anything else that will be crossing your path.

Don't ride if you get to tired. No matter what.

In my personel opinion avoid all energy drinks, though I know this will likely never happen.

Power naps are awesome and a truckstop shower can bring you back to life in 15 mins.

Newish tires? Lots of pad left on brakes?

Something to bead water on your helmet visor or goggles... rainex or likewise.

Plan a route and stick to it, schedule checkins with someone. Use spot or alternative for sure.

Watch for ice! Elk, deer, bear, and anything else that will be crossing your path.

Don't ride if you get to tired. No matter what.

Lots of good advice in your post. I second the fact about energy drinks....they are BS, and only give you energy for brief period....too much sugar in them, I've never believed in them and never drink them. If anything, coffee...and the hot shower thing, good advice !

Take as many breaks, rests, and stops to warm up as you need.

If you can stay warm and dry, you should be able to make it !

I driven from Dodge City KS to Vegas straight through many times. Its 18 hours. I have had hallucinations the last hour or so a couple times from being so exhausted. That was in a car, the elements will take their toll for sure. Wind will wear you out quick physically and mentally.

The tires are Trailwings with plenty of life in them. The oil was just changed. I'll clean and lube the chain. Stock gearing.

Power naps are awesome, I've been known to do this on long drives (off the road). Most of my friends are amazed at my ability to fall asleep even in loud places so I think I have that covered. Energy drinks, while they are probably killing me from within seem okay. My buddy works for 5hour energy so I'm gonna go steal some of his promo giveaways. I honestly don't know how much they work for me, but I'll do whatever it takes.

I'm gonna figure out how to pack as many layers as possible. My plan is to make it and make it dry and warm! If I get wet, I'll pull over and stop. The bachelor party is all weekend and I don't NEED to be back in SD til midweek next week (if I skip class haha)

Good advice on the rainex for the visor. I'll be buying or borrowing a street bike helmet as there is no way I'm riding my open face MX helmet there.

Maybe I'll run out and buy a spot too. I was sort of iffy on them for a long time but I can see its application here as I'll be riding solo. If I can somehow get my hands on one I think Strega's website would be cool for my family to follow.

A wise man just told me, "Once you're on the road you'll know if you're crazy or not..."

I driven from Dodge City KS to Vegas straight through many times. Its 18 hours. I have had hallucinations the last hour or so a couple times from being so exhausted. That was in a car, the elements will take their toll for sure. Wind will wear you out quick physically and mentally.

Yes, agreed.......it is going to be tougher on that bike, than on a larger bike. Tim, if you get so tired or cold, then don't push it...if you can't make it, at least you tried. Don't push it to the limits and take chances just to make your friends party.

fear and loathing hallucinations?

You bring up a few good points tho. I'm young and determined but I do know my limits. That being said I will take breaks when needed and while I would love to make it in one day, I want to make it safely however long it takes.

Hopefully you'll have a little extra time so you can do some backroads and twisties in Utah and Colorado...awesome scenery and riding ! Tim, I may even have extra AAA maps layin' around you can have. Let me know.

Thanks Randy, I'll definitely take any paper maps.

What are people's opinions on those MSR Hippo Hands?

Allegedely.... what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Seriously though driving at night after so many hours shadow creatures start to cross the road or climb up road signs beside the car as you drive by. It doesn't take long when your tired before you swerve to miss what isn't there. Another thing is line blurring or splitting, the lane line starts to split apart and curve making you want to turn off the road. But seriously wait til you see the god damned bats man.

Hopefully you'll have a little extra time so you can do some backroads and twisties in Utah and Colorado...awesome scenery and riding ! Tim, I may even have extra AAA maps layin' around you can have. Let me know.

Agreed. Valley of the Gods near Mexican Hat, the Gooseneck, down to Flagstaff. Holy Wow!

Thanks Randy, I'll definitely take any paper maps.

What are people's opinions on those MSR Hippo Hands?

Probably a good thing....but if you want, I have Aerostich triple digit rain covers for your gloves that help break the wind and keep your gloves dry...you can borrow them also.

Agreed. Valley of the Gods near Mexican Hat, the Gooseneck, down to Flagstaff. Holy Wow!

Hell yeah ! and Monument Valley

or all of Route 12 thru Utah also, but the southern route thru Flagstaff might be better to get home. I will review this with Tim when he comes by to pick up some things I will let him borrow for the ride.

Tim, you got my blood flowin' just thinking about your ride and all the possibilities.

Another big factor this time of year up there is fog. The drz might not have the brightest taillight. I know my xr sure doesn't. I put an eveready headlamp backwards on my helmet and turn it on red. Much higher line of sight for truckers if they come barrelling up on you in the fog.

Will, do you know if Wallymart has those seats in stock or simply online? If I cannot borrow my neighbor's corbin I'll definitely pick one of these up. Good call.

Ray, good thinking on the fog. The DR650 I'm riding still has the big stock tail-light. While riding home I got passed by a street bike and the guy had a bright reflective vest on. I'll look into that too.

Will, do you know if Wallymart has those seats in stock or simply online? If I cannot borrow my neighbor's corbin I'll definitely pick one of these up. Good call.

Honestly, no idea. If wallyworld says its not available locally, I'd look elsewhere for something similar... pepboys/oreilly etc...

Walmart website says temecula, lake elsinore, and chula vista all have in stock. Chula says limited stock so you might want to call first, ask for UPC: 0007650106576. It says price varies by location also fyi.

Warning - Old boring guy buzzkill alert: Answered your PM but will post here too.

I checked one travel site and it's $380 round trip. 2200 miles / 40 MPG x $4 gallon = $220.

Arrive beat to crap and be useless for a day or arrive fresh as a daisy for $160 more.

If you must, in the exuberance of yoot, ride......

1. Dump the gas outta that IMS and make sure there's an inline filter 'tween the tank & carb.

2. Turn the petcock off at the end of the day. The stock is vacuum operated, the IMS is not.

3. Remember the DR starting safety stuff. Won't start unless clutch pulled in. Won't start in gear with kickstand down (clutch in or not).

4. If that Corbin isn't broken in, it can be as bad as the stock seat. I have an Airhawk cushion - borrow it.

5. I have a windshield that'll prolly fit and mount in minutes. Borrow it.

6. Stay hydrated, stretch your legs every hour or two, eat light while on the road. Be able to recognize fatigue and/or hypothermia signs and take breaks.

7. Wear earplugs - reduces fatigue.

In all seriousness, this is a mission in a cage, dangerous on a bike. I told you I was boring.

Of course it can be done...it HAS been done...on lesser machines. Your energy level will prevail - just be damned careful.

Buy a plane ticket and be done...spur of the moment trips can be rewarding...but a planned trip with more time will be epic.