Goofy Footer

Smaller Bore

After getting my *** handed to me pushing a DR650 on trailwings through Corral, my mind started dreaming... could small bore bikes be the ticket to rider nirvanna?

My thesis-level logic... Weight sucks, little bikes weigh less, therefore little bikes suck less....

Small bore and lightweight bikes are also easy to move, fun to ride and build rider skill (imho).

At ~200lbs I'm spoiled on my CR125. It skims across the top of whoops, has amazing suspension and is a blast to wring around the track. Too bad its red sticker, has minimal-to-no bottom end, doesn't have a plate and gas stations don't run 40:1 pre-mix...

I'm 150lbs so my DRZ and that DR are roughly if not more than 2x my body weight. Riding my brother's YZ250F, that thing has enough power to easily carry me. I feel its utility is limited more in the gearing. Oh, how I yearn for a plated, well suspended and reliable <250lbs bike... While I would love a new TE310, I'm stuck in grad school and I fear a bike like that will have to wait for a long while. Maybe I could marry a rich old foreign woman and have her buy me a Husky or KTM? Maybe I could sell my DRZ and replace it with a lighter, more powerful and sexier bike? Maybe I could sell my soul and buy a small bore bike as, you know, a "buddy bike" (of course my cheating way of rationalizing the purchase to myself). Maybe I should sell my NX and TTR which I don't ride and then not have to sell my soul? Maybe I should throw a bunch of money at my DRZ and hope she loses some weight and decides to put on an amazing suspension and put out more power?

Well.... Maybe I'm a dreamer, but looking at fellow DRZ owners, I'm not the only one...

What about these plated examples:

XR250 ~240lbs

2003 XR250 Stock and Clean - Oceanside $2,800

post-14322-044265700 1316931159_thumb.jp

1997 XR250 CR250 Forks Highly Modded Possibly Raced Out - Orange County $2,800

post-14322-070171100 1316931286_thumb.jp

KLX300 ~237lbs

KLX 300 with Inverted Forks - Fresno eww but $1,550!!!

post-14322-092896600 1316931441_thumb.jp

WR250F <240lbs

WR250F - Valley Center $2,500

I've seen plated CRF250x models at $3,500.

While not exactly "small-bore" I've seen plated CRF450x examples as low as $3,500, XR400s range from $1,500-3,000 and lots of WR/YZ400/426s around the $2,300-3,000 range too.

Everybody seems to enjoy riding a small bike from time to time:

Sneeker swears by his XR250, stating that he'll never give up a small bore bike.

Dirt Dame and DigDug not only have "DD" SDAR initials but also have plated KLX300s

Bikeslut reminisces about his WR250F maybe not so much about the 450 tho...

Crawdaddy seems to get around quite extensively on his "girl bike"

Drabnor is the quickest guy on a 230 that I've ever come across.

I want your opinions:

So, anybody have thoughts on these (or other) small-bore lightweight bikes? Are they the ticket to rider bliss or simply under-suspended and under-powered? Are they too limited in scope (ex: track or tight trail only) and can't "do it all"?

*Author admits to know nothing. Maybe he just needs to quit dreaming, tune his suspension and ride the living piss outta his DRZ...

post-0-066357200 1316933935_thumb.jpg

Smaller, lighter bikes are a lot of fun. I always enjoyed riding my daughter's CRF230F at Corral Canyon, and it made it up Bronco Peak easier than my more powerful bikes. The suspension wasn't much good, and the only time the power was a concern was in the sand at Superstition Mountain. My buddy had an XR250 like those you posted, and it also was a lot of fun.

That being said, if you commute on your dual sport you might miss the passing power. I've been riding our NX250 to work for the last week and it sucks to have limited acceleration at 65 mph. I make up for it by spending $7 a week in fuel costs.

yes small bikes ARE the ticket to riding nirvana, you are not dreaming! I'd stick with another 2T though if I were you, one that is more geared towards offroad. like a 200cc bike with WR transmission. KDX OR EXC 200. These are the ultimate trail bikes for smaller riders.

the old air cooled 250 4T bikes are pretty gutless and still pretty piggish imo.

Looking at the bikes listed I think Goofy Footer is hunting for a small bore with a CA plate. A 2-stroke with a CA plate is hard to find now a days. The small bore 4 strokes get way better gas mileage for dual sport use, like 50 MPG.

Here's my redefinition of apples and oranges (CA plated)

XR250 = Willys Jeep

TE250 or WR250 = Modern pissed off Baja truck

Both will get you there, one is for easy-rider and sightseeing, one is for adrenalin. I have both and they can do nearly the same job, just depends on what I want from the situation. IMO one is not better than the other, just different.

A plated 2t would be awesome. Super light and I personally enjoy the 2t feel. Fuel mileage as Sneeker pointed out would be a limiting factor however.

Some on SDAR have plated KDXs which would make a great trail bike. I wonder how much KX forks would help the KDX in the desert.

KX250 plated - Inland Empire $2,500

post-14322-045399800 1317178133_thumb.jp

I'd love to ride a KDX sometime. I looked into older KTM 200EXC and really liked it. Too bad the seller broke the kick starter during the test ride haha.

Guest Crusty

A plated 2t would be awesome. Super light and I personally enjoy the 2t feel. Fuel mileage as Sneeker pointed out would be a limiting factor however.

Some on SDAR have plated KDXs which would make a great trail bike. I wonder how much KX forks would help the KDX in the desert.

KX250 plated - Inland Empire $2,500

post-14322-045399800 1317178133_thumb.jp

I'd love to ride a KDX sometime. I looked into older KTM 200EXC and really liked it. Too bad the seller broke the kick starter during the test ride haha.

I have a plated 2t .but ride my non plated 2t. more because most of the super technical rides are GREEN sticker rides and

2t. dirt bikes aren't the most fun on the street.

Also a non plated bike is 8-10 pounds lighter, with less stuff to fall off.

My .02

While I do like my CRF230L, it really just does not have enough power...

Maybe you would like the new Husqvarna TE250. Short seat height and snappy powerband.

Tim- to date, my favorite bike ever was the WR250F... but I wouldn't bother plating one, since most trails where that bike shines are not plated trails any way

the 450F with plate was great in the desert, but Spaugh embarassed me riding tech trails at Jacumba on it... I would've been much better off on the DRZ for those trails, and better yet on the WR250F

so- same solution, different question

it's all a compromise- if you really want a short, light bike and don't mind forgoing latest-greatest... an air-cooled 250 is pretty fun

if you want one for the desert or freeway, you'll be disappointed

If you want a modern bike in the same class, most are taller and obviously more expensive... and probably STILL lacking in the open desert or on the freeway

I'll say it again- for the riding I do, the DRZ is ok... of course, I am 8" taller than you are, and that is where the DRZ would be a disadvantage for you... the weight has never bothered me, but it jumps like a bag of rocks, so I don't get much air (not that I could anyway)

a XR250 is a pretty good trail bike as long as you keep the back tire on the ground most of the time

the 450F with plate was great in the desert, but Spaugh embarassed me riding tech trails at Jacumba on it... I would've been much better off on the DRZ for those trails, and better yet on the WR250F

Wait... the 450F does not like technical? It must be quite a bit lighter than the DRZ no?

Wait... the 450F does not like technical? It must be quite a bit lighter than the DRZ no?

He's just a hack.

Jon is right...he's a jerk but he's right...

Yes- the WR is lighter than the DRZ and has more power and better suspension

But the DRZ has bar risers that also put the bars farther forward...it is also geared very low and has an easy clutch pull... In short; I spent some time to dial it in for me and singletrack trails, and I do pretty well on it

In contrast- the WR really rocked out in open desert though-

Part of it is just spaugh is better than I am

Bob, that was my second guess. :coolio:

The DRZ IS set up FOR you BY you and you've got more seat time on it. Overall you're more comfortable riding it. I'm certain that if you ride the WR more you'll become better on it and in general. I sold my XR when I realized it was holding me back. It would've needed a new motorcycles worth of work to bring it up to modern times. That WR will run circles around a DRZ but you'll need to get comfortable on it to really get better. I'm way better now on my Aprilia than I ever was on the XR, but it took some time to regain that "old pair of shoes" feel like you're got on the DRZ.

There's really nothing like a 4+ day trip into the mountains to get you back in the saddle. Call it immersion training. You'll start a little sketchy but finish as if you're one with the moto.

Now who's doing one of those?

Jon is right...he's a jerk but he's right...

Yes- the WR is lighter than the DRZ and has more power and better suspension

But the DRZ has bar risers that also put the bars farther forward...it is also geared very low and has an easy clutch pull... In short; I spent some time to dial it in for me and singletrack trails, and I do pretty well on it

In contrast- the WR really rocked out in open desert though-

Part of it is just spaugh is better than I am

I am slower than you most days... you just don't seem to click on the 450 piggy (maybe should have bought a 450X instead :torch: :torch:).

Guest Crusty

[quote) BS. I am slower than you most days... you just don't seem to click on the 450 piggy (maybe should have bought a 450X instead

It's one of the most fun bikes I have ever rode,

It seems to work best at tracks with lots of jumps.

Guest Crusty

I think my 250R would be more fun on tight single track though.

The DRZ IS set up FOR you BY you and you've got more seat time on it. Overall you're more comfortable riding it. I'm certain that if you ride the WR more you'll become better on it and in general.

Yeah... I felt really uncomfortable on the KTM 300 in the technical stuff at first. Now I much prefer the 300.

While I do like my CRF230L, it really just does not have enough power...

Maybe you would like the new Husqvarna TE250. Short seat height and snappy powerband.

I'm thinking once it blows up I'll go with a big bore kit or maybe a Chinese 250 :dead:

I'm thinking once it blows up I'll go with a big bore kit or maybe a Chinese 250 :dead:

Good luck with blowing it up. That could take forever with that under-stressed CRF engine. I would beware the Chinese 250. A lot of parts look just like Honda, but they aren't built and don't work like Honda parts.

Good luck with blowing it up. That could take forever with that under-stressed CRF engine. I would beware the Chinese 250. A lot of parts look just like Honda, but they aren't built and don't work like Honda parts.

Youve never seen me ride it :ph34r: Wide open or on the brakes hehe

Yea I'd rather do a big bore...

my 2cents,

everyone asks for what turns out to be a real racing enduro machine (think world enduro championship) Think HM Hondas of the Jolly Racing team.

From the Japanese you have WR250F or CRF250x, both of which need certain mods to be competitive with their EU counterparts. KTM has the 250XCF or XCF-W (W is more enduro comp like out of the box), Husky has the TE and TXC 250s ( or 310 version), Huskys really need a little FI tuning to get them to run like they should. For 90% of riders in our little SoCal world I would recommend the CRF250X beacause of its "normal" Japanese ergos and its long list of aftermarket choices, dealer support,etc etc.

There are also the the mid size thoughts from all ready mentioned Husky(TE or all new full comp TXC310)KTM350 and also Beta (350-400)($$$).

A CRF250X can be found for a very reasonable price in ready to ride condition so again its most likely the best choice in this case. Plus 99% of ammies(most all of us) will be instantly faster, ride better and get less tired riding a 250cc 4T.

PS you guys all know I am a EU enduro bike guy and my first 4 stroke choice at the moment is the TE310 (DS legal! but set up as a closed course comp model), with my 250cc 2 stroke choice of KTM 250xc-w

Best of luck out there (and IMHO use the WEC as your guide to the best trail bikes, check Mika Ahola's record with Honda based enduro machines)