desert.rider77

Ready to Ride (kinda)

Hello everyone, Ray here, checking in from San Marcos Ca. I've been waiting for membership approval for a while now, seems I'm kindof a flunkie when it comes to the internet, and apparently hard left turns at 50 mph on sand covered asphault, while trying to keep up with bikeslut on the newbie ride last Sunday.

Anyway I'm approved for now and I'd be ready to ride except that I twisted my knee on kernan and will need a few more days to get back to a thumbs up status.

I ride a 94 XR600R on knobbies for now, but I have an extra set of rims so I can put on some cruisers. I go to Ocotillo Wells around 6 times a year in the cooler months, usually on weekdays, and will be posting my trips for anyone to stop by my oasis (camp) for cold beverages, shade, bbq, and epic ride staging as well.

If my knee is up to par I will likely meet many of you on Tuesday at the meet up.

Ray Ray Desert.Rider

glad you finally got approved! Nice to ride with you, and all the guys...

let me know when your knee feels better, and we'll do some more trails in Corral :ph34r:

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to add a permanent signature to your profile. :coolio:

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to add a permanent signature to your profile. :coolio:

I'm not sure how to modify my profile at all. I don't have internet other than on my phone, and am on the mobile platform. Do I need to go to the full version of the site to add the signature?

Hello everyone, Ray here, checking in from San Marcos Ca. I've been waiting for membership approval for a while now, seems I'm kindof a flunkie when it comes to the internet, and apparently hard left turns at 50 mph on sand covered asphault, while trying to keep up with bikeslut on the newbie ride last Sunday.

Anyway I'm approved for now and I'd be ready to ride except that I twisted my knee on kernan and will need a few more days to get back to a thumbs up status.

I ride a 94 XR600R on knobbies for now, but I have an extra set of rims so I can put on some cruisers. I go to Ocotillo Wells around 6 times a year in the cooler months, usually on weekdays, and will be posting my trips for anyone to stop by my oasis (camp) for cold beverages, shade, bbq, and epic ride staging as well.

If my knee is up to par I will likely meet many of you on Tuesday at the meet up.

Ray Ray Desert.Rider

Welcome Ray. Sorry you had to have an introduction to the group with Bikeslut Abuse. I am a north county guy myself (Escondido) and don't let the KTM snobs get to you. I mosttly ride Vintage Honda Red XL's and Vintage Husky dirt bikes. I have no interest in becomming a lemming and jumping on the Orange bandwagon. Enjoy the group.

Don

Yes Don we know, no phone without a cord, no camera without film, no bike with electric start, and no beer but Bud for you.

Covered

Gee Chris...Have you been taking lessons from Joliet? Thought it was him until I saw the signature. By the way, I really do have a cell phone and I actually drink Heineken. My older brother drinks the Bud. He is over 70 but I'm not. :blush:

Guest Crusty

Welcome to the club, I look forward to meeting you Tuesday.

I hope you heal up quickly so you can ride again soon.

You own one of the "best bikes ever made".

If I could only keep 1 bike, it would be my XR 680L

Craig.

Welcome Ray. Sorry you had to have an introduction to the group with Bikeslut Abuse. I am a north county guy myself (Escondido) and don't let the KTM snobs get to you. I mosttly ride Vintage Honda Red XL's and Vintage Husky dirt bikes. I have no interest in becomming a lemming and jumping on the Orange bandwagon. Enjoy the group.

Don

Some would say that my relationship history would suggest that I like to be abused by s**ts. As far as bikes are concerned. I got an 84 XR200 in 1990 I lived off of Palm ave. In south SD and used to ride through the neighborhoods to get to Otay. No tags. I was 13. Never a problem. My dad sold my bike when I was 16, and moved me to Kansas to help my grandfather raise minuture horses. I had a cr500 that I could use once in a while out there. My best friend got into three wheeler racing and I fell in love with trikes. Bought my 86 ATC 350X finally a couple years ago and have aquired two more parts trikes since. A year ago I bought two XR600R's one is a basket case. And I aquired an 86 CR250 that needs a new top end and some tlc about 4 months ago. I dig old school husky's and would love a newer 510. As far as ktm goes, would love to have the new white 990smr, its got me.

Let me know if you want to ride sometime.

Ray Ray Desert.Rider

Great. Stick with the XR's. Hard to beat. You will usually see me on a 79 Husky 390WR in OW or an 84 Honda XL350R (sometimes a 250)on dualsport rides. Street bike is an 86 Yamaha Virago. Old guy old bikes. Fun group but don't take any of the harassment personaly.

Craig.

Did my research and decided on the 600. Looked on CL the next day and got the pair for 1400. Going to have to rebuild it soon. Any suggestions on parts and who to take it to are much appreciated. See ya tues.

I'm not sure how to modify my profile at all. I don't have internet other than on my phone, and am on the mobile platform. Do I need to go to the full version of the site to add the signature?

Got it by switching to full version, now I can't get back to the mobile view????? Any help?

Guest Crusty

Craig.

Did my research and decided on the 600. Looked on CL the next day and got the pair for 1400. Going to have to rebuild it soon. Any suggestions on parts and who to take it to are much appreciated. See ya tues.

Depends on what you want done, I went with XRs Only for porting, cam,Big Bore piston, bore job, big fin head, valve job, and a couple other parts.

I had a small shop in Oceanside do the work. Your bike already came with a good cam and piston stock.

welcome ray, heal up....those knee injuries suck....had one myself in a crash last fall....meet you soon, at the meeting if you make it..

Depends on what you want done, I went with XRs Only for porting, cam, piston, big fin head and a couple other parts.

I had a small shop in Oceanside do the work.

I'm a big guy 6'3" 270. Need a lot of power. Ride a lot of street, so I'm looking for good high end power as well as the standard honda low end. I'm looking into a set of 17 inch rad rims but want to be able to ride trails with minimal changes, like changing my front sprocket back to a 14 with a 48 on the rear for dirt and 15/ 45 for street. I'm open to any suggestions.

Welcome, Ray! Nice meeting you last weekend. I'm still recovering from the Kernan...and I didn't even attempt it.

Let me tell you a little about the infamous SDAR background check...that's why it took so long for your membership in this exclusive club to be approved.

OK, from "good" info (initials BS), I understand that once you submit your application, the mod writes back and asks you to "list all the bad stuff" you've ever done. And don't be shy.

Then,the mods get together for brews at a local pub (Blue Oyster) where they chat about drinkin' and ridin' and knobbies and noobs. Once they've reached a certain blood-alcohol level, they break out the membership applications and have a good laugh. Then they drunk dial you and quiz you about the stuff you did as a youngster. Here's an example of one of their membership/background check calls:

"Hey, Ray, this is Bob calling from SDAR. Yeah, me and the boys had some questions about that thing you did in Tijuana in the 80's. Uh, what were you thinking?!"

Then, he will ask for photos, videos or audio. It gets rough. There's a lot of background noise, mostly laughing.

Then, if you're lucky (like we were), the calling mod will pass out and about a week later we will magically be approved.

That's kind of how the process works.

So, what did you tell 'em? Got photos?

See ya out there, Ray!

Dan

Hello everyone, Ray here, checking in from San Marcos Ca. I've been waiting for membership approval for a while now.

Anyway I'm approved for now...

OK, from "good" info (initials BS), I understand that once you submit your application, the mod writes back and asks you to "list all the bad stuff" you've ever done. And don't be shy.

"Hey, Ray, this is Bob calling from SDAR. Yeah, me and the boys had some questions about that thing you did in Tijuana in the 80's. Uh, what were you thinking?!"

Then, he will ask for photos, videos or audio. It gets rough. There's a lot of background noise, mostly laughing.

Then, if you're lucky (like we were), the calling mod will pass out and about a week later we will magically be approved.

quote]

It seems that there is a time limit, something like 30 days to submit your confession. It took me considerably longer to get down all the stuff I've done, as well as destroying any photos or other evidence of things that I have allegedly done. So I was left in approval limbo. Might have something to do with the blue oyster drink specials and the short term memory loss that comes with age. BS informed me average member age is like 48. I guess it's easy to be forgotten.