Mistress of the dual

DRZ Gets No Respect

I commute to work via motorcycle. My route is about 25 miles and contains no freeway. About 2-3 times a week other riders will pull up in front of me while I am waiting at lights. Sometimes I have split lanes and I’m sitting between 2 cars and they will squeeze between me and one of the cars and plant themselves just ahead of me at an angle where when the light turns green I will have to wait for them to go first. Sometimes I am first in line and have the whole lane to myself and they will have split lanes to get to me, sharing my lane but pulling ahead of me. These riders are also putting themselves a couple of feet into the intersection to get their position. I don’t get a nod, a wave or anything; they never look at me. I’ve had all sorts of bikes do this; Cruisers, sport bikes and standards. The funny thing is that this only happens when I’m on my DRZ400; it has never happened when I was on my F650GS.

Anyone else encounter a lack of respect while on your dual sport bikes?

I see it sometimes at stoplights like you mention...never on a Sportbike or standard.

If the pull up in front of you and they take off first and faster, no worries, but if you have to wait for them to go, its rude...

Bikers are scofflaws

No, but all my plated bikes are little out of the main stream. People tend to try to get a look at any of them whether they are in cars or on other bikes.

I don't think I would have given any of it a second thought except for the different treament I get while on my DRZ as opposed to my BMW. I also get waved to about 75% more often while I'm on my BMW than on my DRZ.

Roll up to them and tell them in a panic they have oil leaking on their rear tire !!

They are just trying to protect you :P going first at lights is a good way of getting hit by other vehicles running the red.

They are just trying to protect you :P going first at lights is a good way of getting hit by other vehicles running the red.

Oh, I get it......it's not disrespect, it's extra respect.

You think that's bad....try having a WR250R at an SDAR ride! :heh: :heh:

Your kidding right? :):) I mean I ride a KLR,, talk about disrespected,, holy cow.

You think that's bad....try having a WR250R at an SDAR ride! :heh: :heh:

I think I have the smallest of the bunch CRF230L :heh:

Your kidding right? :):) I mean I ride a KLR,, talk about disrespected,, holy cow.

I wasn't going to go there, but since you mentioned it I was thinking "Damn, I don't even want to know what those KLR guys have to put up with". smiley-angry026.gif But in your case if anyone gives you any crap while you're sitting at a light you can just wheelie away from them (as long as there are no cops around). smiley-laughing002.gif

It's jealousy. Notice the second part of the word. They feel lousy & try to overcome it by "flexing" a bit.

Or they're just joining you where you sit and couldn't get the "turn in" correct.

When riding back from the DMV with son Dave yesterday (he passed the practical), a guy actually rode up next to me on the freeway and gave me an up & down disapproving look, shook his head & rode away. It was hilarious. I'm sure his leather vest and beanie helmet made him better than everyone else. I chuckled in my helmet for miles.

I'm sure his leather vest

Well, it depends on how many merit badges he has on his sash.

Just like back in school .. those who pick on others have self-esteem issues. :heh:

DRZ gets no respect.

I got tired of all the stuff in my garage. Today I pushed the DRZ out and around the side of the house. It now resides outside, under the eave of the house and under a bike cover. No respect at all.

DRZ gets no respect.

I got tired of all the stuff in my garage. Today I pushed the DRZ out and around the side of the house. It now resides outside, under the eave of the house and under a bike cover. No respect at all.

that's just mean :angry:

from a DRZ owner...

i rarely pass any motorcycles on the freeway except when they feel they can't fit between cars during splitting...and wave me by...

i find kids tend to wave to me...maybe because i am also going about soccer mom speed....kids are cool :king:

when getting on the freeway i can't "swerve all the way to the fast lane" and just jump to go...no $200... :heh:

it's a fun, pretty easy going bike...and people love to hate..but for me...it gets a meh from me if they care or not..

but mostly, i didn't get the bike for anyone, but me....could i have spent more on MY first bike?? of course...

as it is, i bought it new because i wanted a MY bike, so i did...so ALL the stuff wrong...scratches were mine...

bottom line, to me, is this...

people can't help themselves...and cool is a perspective.

B)...(*these are the opinions of a freshly back from Texas father of 2...*40 degree change in temperatures today* :torch: so be easy on me...)

gosh i love San Diego. :blush: