dirt dame

4th annual Troy Meadows Experience

(*EDIT 08/31/11....looks like there was a hangup in the completion of the toy hauler, due to a backorder of some needed parts. then delivery delays due to bad weather back east....so now I'm looking at October....or wait until next summer.*)

I don't want to forgo a year in my annual Troy Meadow Experience summer trips, so I thought that I would start to plan one for August. Last year's trip almost didn't happen and then at the last minute Woodschick and Eric were able to make it, and what a fine vacation experience that was (except for the part where I had to put up a tent and stay in that <_<). This year I won't have to tent it, but my Husqvarna friends are going to go at our normal date of the week just after July 4th....and there is just no way that I can make it. So I am thinking that the second week in August would be good (like the 9th through the 12th). I'm thinking the usual spot, Troy Meadows Overflow. Here is the usual information.

256 miles from Escondido, so 6 hour drive time.

No cell service, gas stations up there, just a couple of burger joints and a small general store. They have ice.

7500ft elevation, so maybe some rejetting. Riding is generally between 7000 and 9000 feet. If you have trouble adjusting to high altitudes, this probably isn't the ride for you.

Red sticker, green sticker or plated bikes. Plated bikes give you more options.

Probably temps in the 80s during the day and 40s at night. Sometimes some thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Mosquitoes at night. There are bears in the area, but I haven't seen one yet in the three years that I have gone up there. The closest I got to seeing a bear was last summer when I ran over a pile of bear poop with my KDX on a trail.

Riding is singletrack, mostly intermediate. Some loops were close to 60 miles last year. I hit reserve on my stock KDX220 tank on one day and had to shortcut back to camp.

I plan to spend a day (or at least part of a day) trying to catch some trout.

If enough different riders want to go, we could plan to split into two factions. One for a more laid back sightseeing ride (which would be the one for me), and one for the more vigorous butt kicking black diamond excursions. Woodsie gave me a map last year (even marked with some of our routes) so I can figure out where I want to go.

Anyway, if anybody is up for a trip, chime in. :party:

" One for a more laid back sightseeing"

No idea if I will be "free" but today it sounds delightful.

Hey, what do you have against tents!

Any water at that Overflow? party.gif

PS - If they arnt Grizzlies, they don't count.

The overflow campgrounds (no camping fees) have one spigot and one outhouse at each of the two entrances. If you want more bathrooms, spigots and prebuilt fire rings, you will want to go to one of the paved and improved campgrounds up there that cost money (around 20 bucks a night, I think). I usually camp fairly close to the water spigot when I camp, as the campgrounds are usually pretty empty on weekdays.

Sorry, I just don't like tent camping anymore. I like a hot shower at the end of the day and a toilet that I don't have to hike to in the middle of the pitch dark freezing night. And although none have ever paid a visit to the campsite yet, I don't want a bear to be able to get close to me when only a paper thin sheet of fabric separates us. My tent is only about three feet high at the center, so I can't stand up in it. I could go on and on, but why bother? You get the picture....I want to drag all the comforts of home with me when I rough it. :lol:

bummed again, with mammoth planned and on the calendar for months happening Aug. 4-8, don't think I could make any of that...... REALLY want to ride there too... :(

if anything happens and you happen to wanna go in september, let me know....

bummed again, with mammoth planned and on the calendar for months happening Aug. 4-8, don't think I could make any of that...... REALLY want to ride there too... :(

if anything happens and you happen to wanna go in september, let me know....

Ya never know. The trip might get postponed or get an alternate venue. I just read on a different forum that there were some rumors that the campsites and trails are closed up there right now due to winter weather damaged trails, trees (lots of downed trees) and campsites. Another website claims that some areas and trails will be open by next weekend. I will have to make an inquiry to a ranger station up that way to find out the real scoop. I have plenty of time. Meanwhile, I alerted Woodsie, so maybe she will find out something, since they had planned to go next week.

Well, the rumors can be put to rest about closures. Woodschick had called the ranger station up there (last Saturday, before I even read all those rumors)and found that all the campsites and most of the trails were open. I guess that there were some trails closed (Schaeffer for one), but they have all been repaired and will be ready by the weekend. :good::dance2:

Hey Mimi, Bruce and I are planning to be there the weekend of August 26 - 28. And yes, there are bears there!!! Last year they serenaded us in the wee hours of the morning :o

Interested of course. It all depends on how work is going. The good news is that August is our slowest month so that may be doable! And you know I would love to fish too.

Hey Mimi, Bruce and I are planning to be there the weekend of August 26 - 28. And yes, there are bears there!!! Last year they serenaded us in the wee hours of the morning :o

At least they didn't marinade you in the wee hours of the morning!

Bears serenading me in the wee hours would certainly make me go wee! :o:lol: And dates aren't set in granite. Especially if there isn't too much response to this thread for the proposed dates.

Interested of course. It all depends on how work is going. The good news is that August is our slowest month so that may be doable! And you know I would love to fish too.

That sounds good. The fish are crazy up there and jump a couple of feet out of the water when hooked (usually resulting in them coming off the hook).

love the destination... hate the timeline

work is just too busy in August... if you guys go in September, I will consider it

somewhere between "laid back casual" and "throw my bike off a cliff" pace

somewhere between "laid back casual" and "throw my bike off a cliff" pace

Up there, it is possible to have the latter happen while doing the former. :rolleyes:

Looks like it was a good thing that I couldn't make it up there with Woodsie and Eric. I don't know if Tami will make a full report or if they rode at all :unsure: , but here is an excerpt she made in a post on another forum:

"You might want to doublecheck and ask them specifically about each and every trail you want to ride. Do not accept vague language. I called before going down last Thursday. Ann told me most of the trails were open except a few westernmost trails and that Schaeffer would probably open that Saturday. Her exact words were "Oh, it's beautiful right now. There are plenty of trails open to keep you busy all weekend!" When we got there Thursday night every trailhead except Rincon had tape across them and "Closed" signs on them, even the crappy little connector from Fish Creek to Troy. I was waiting for her when she showed up to work Friday morning. She claimed she said that they would all "probably" be open, but I never would have driven 8 hours to get there on "probably." Glenn came in and diffused the situation and he went out and removed the tape and signs that day, even though Ann had just said they wouldn't be open for another day or so. Schaeffer never did open by the time we left on Monday."

Bummer....

Rincon can keep you plenty busy for a day or two! Its the only trail I've ridden up there. I'd love to get up there and explore for a few days.

Rincon can keep you plenty busy for a day or two! Its the only trail I've ridden up there. I'd love to get up there and explore for a few days.

Rincon (from the river) is the hardest trail out there. Once in Kennedy Meadows it gets more scenic and has more sane trails.

Rincon (from the river) is the hardest trail out there. Once in Kennedy Meadows it gets more scenic and has more sane trails.

I love that trail. I jumped in on a couple trail maintenance weekends through KTMtalk back in the day. We worked and rode that trail from the highway all the way to the end. We cut in that switchback part just past the cave. Camped at Rincon camp. Good times

Scenic and sane trails are my favorite type. ^_^

So Mimi, is this trip still on? Are you still shooting for those same dates?

So Mimi, is this trip still on? Are you still shooting for those same dates?

It is and I am, but if I don't get ahold of my "luxury accommodations" on schedule, I'll hold off until I do. My microhauler is being built as we speak.

I'm going to try and make this trip. Will be returning from a family trip to the Paiute Trail in Utah the week before (Aug 4 or 5) so will be a quick turn around but should be doable.

Just yesterday, a friend of mine voiced a concern about the muddy meadow bog Woodsie and I rode through last summer. I remember that the bog wasn't much of a concern, as I had walked through it prior to our crossing to insure that there would be no nasty surprises on the way through.

P1020120.jpg

But the bog will no longer be of any concern this year, as the forest service crew fixed it (and probably others as well to protect sensitive environment). Here, Woodsie documents the newly built bridge over the bog.

KennedyMeadowsJuly42011006.jpg

Very possibly going to be joining in on this trip.

Working the details this weekend.

I'm still waiting on word about when the toyhauler will be ready. The final dates will be determined by the delivery date of the hauler.

I'm off work from the 7/28-8/18. I'll be looking to make a trip during that time. Somewhere's, jus about anywhere's really. In Kennedy Meadows I really only want to ride Rattlesnake, Rincon and one of the "meadows" trails. And just hang out in the trees and reflect inward.