Guest Crusty

450X build up,

Guest Crusty

First things you should do is remove smog pump, proper jetting (168 main) and get a fuel mixture screw. You can moderately cut open the airbox - I suggest just cutting out the top baffle. I didn't bother with cutting open the side. Also, search on here for cutting the clutch lever estart switch thing. Super easy - just cut the wires and solder together.

Aside from the usual accessorizing, I would highly recommend beefing up the rear chain guide gussets. The stock welds are super weak and that thing is prone to getting ripped off by a rock, which can be catastrophic. Depending on where you're at in California, I can recommend a couple shops that have done this before. It's just a matter of welding a couple triangular aluminum pieces to the existing gussets and beefing up the welds. Highly, highly recommended.

I would also recommend a billet aluminum clutch cover, preferably Hinson, but Pro Circuit makes one too. Avoid Boyesen - it's not billet.

- The Acerbis Uniko handguards are perfectly suitable for Baja.

- Stabilizer is a must have.

- IMS 3.2 gallon tank. I have a barely used IMS 4.0 gallon tank for sale if you're interested. Great for prerunning. You'll never have to carry gas. I used both depending on the section I was prerunning (i.e. 4.0 gallon for the Summit).

- 14/48 is good all-around gearing for Baja. You can do 15/48, but I didn't like this unless the motor had a performance cam or 450R top end. Get a good steel sprocket.

- The stock footpegs suck and crush easily. I recommend IMS Pro Series.

- Suspension, suspension, suspension. Take it to Precision Concepts. There is no better suspension shop for the 450x. If budget is tight, at the very least, get the right springs for your weight, especially the rear. This is something you can do yourself. Also make sure to set the sag once you get everything dialed in.

- You'll want good desert tires. I always ran the 739 AT in the rear. Varying opinions on the front. Doesn't really matter. Also use Bridgestone Heavy Duty tubes and nothing else.

- Safety wire or ziptie spokes.

- Acerbis plastic skid plate is adequate.

- I ran the 450R front axle and spacer to eliminate the stock odometer and aluminum spacer. Makes changing tires/fixing flat a little easier too, especially in the middle of nowhere. It's about $55.

- I liked running filter skins for prerunning. You can usually get two days out of an air filter with a filter skin. Always have a couple spare air filters as well.

If I think of more, I'll update this later.

+1----

If you have the extra cash run a Michelin Bib Mousse up front and the Bridgestone Heavy Duty Tube in the Rear

Scotts Shark Fin Rear Brake Rotor Guard

Use Silicone on all bolts that go thru plastic, locktite, and antisieze where needed. Make sure all bearings are repacked with grease.

Safety Wire as many parts as possible.

If your in San Diego, M&M Offroad for suspension, they are the old Precision Concepts Shop.

- You'll want good desert tires. I always ran the 739 AT in the rear. Varying opinions on the front. Doesn't really matter. Also use Bridgestone Heavy Duty tubes and nothing else.

I would NOT suggest using a desert tire for the 2012 Big Bear Run.....the Big Bear Run is Tailor Made made for MT43 Trials Tires.......it's true that there was a significant amount of desert riding this year, but the Trials Tires perform fine in the desert........in fact, I think they are superior for that one little dry waterfall step/climb and the short uphill between the switchbacks everyone encountered on the morning stretch of this year's course.........and they're simply the best choice when you get back up into the rocks of Big Bear proper......just my $.02........but I'm not alone.......I see more and more trials tires on the back every year......I'm also starting to see more folks using them up front.......I run them front and rear on the WR.....

Completely agree with tube selection.....

Guest Crusty

I would NOT suggest using a desert tire for the 2012 Big Bear Run.....the Big Bear Run is Tailor Made made for MT43 Trials Tires.......it's true that there was a significant amount of desert riding this year, but the Trials Tires perform fine in the desert........in fact, I think they are superior for that one little dry waterfall step/climb and the short uphill between the switchbacks everyone encountered on the morning stretch of this year's course.........and they're simply the best choice when you get back up into the rocks of Big Bear proper......just my $.02........but I'm not alone.......I see more and more trials tires on the back every year......I'm also starting to see more folks using them up front.......I run them front and rear on the WR.....

Completely agree with tube selection.....

Thank's I will use a Bib up front, not a tube.

I am not sold on the trials tire after following a Bruce on a KTM 530 for about 80 miles.

He didn't seem to have as much control in the rocks as I did.

Maybe my 680 L had better power for those long rocky climbs.coolio.gif

Crusty,

we came up on your bloody 650 just as the Sheriff was driving you out. Glad your ok, kinda spooky coming up on an abandoned bike covered in blood. The ride this year was allot of fun. Miles 1-160 were highway miles compared to the last stint....I rode a stock crf250x and will never ride anything else up there. By far the easiest bike i have ever ridden through the rocks. MX51 tires front and rear, Front Tube rear Tubliss seamed to be the ticket for me. I won't run a tubliss in the front since the torn knobbies can cause leaks, as was the case in 2009.

Trials tire beats any tire up in the mountains and is going to have far better traction in the rocks than a desert tire. (Contact patch, tire pressure, etc)

If the above statement was false, then guys riding trials bikes in the rocks, concrete, etc, would be using big knobby tires. :)

Glad to hear you're ok, take care of your injuries.

Guest Crusty

I will have to ride the whole thing, before I pick a tire.

I think I I have been on most of trails towards the end with Dig Doug,

with out problems, but I am not sure.

This year I had Tubliss front and rear.

Mx51 front 11psi.

952 120-100 rear 13psi.

I had a front failure.

The bladder held air, but tire has no pressure.

I feel this ride is about challenging yourself, so i opt to run MX tires. If you earn the plaque with the trials tire then run MX tires next time.

Trials tire beats any tire up in the mountains and is going to have far better traction in the rocks than a desert tire. (Contact patch, tire pressure, etc)

If the above statement was false, then guys riding trials bikes in the rocks, concrete, etc, would be using big knobby tires. :)

Guest Crusty

I feel this ride is about challenging yourself, so i opt to run MX tires. If you earn the plaque with the trials tire then run MX tires next time.

That more like it.

Someone who understands

It wasn't a challenge for me just to finish.

I wanted to finish, well, on a 650L, with MX tires.

Guest Crusty

Thank's Roger, I looked at a job today, going back to work Wednesday.dead.gif

I wanted to finish, top 5, on a 650L, with MX tires.

Well, there's no 'start time'...so how do you know if you're in the top 5 anyway? Just first 5 to finish? What if a guy starts 2 hours behind you and finishes an hour after you? He's not in the 'top 5' but completed the course faster than you did by an hour (hypothetically speaking). The system for dual-sport rides (currently) isn't setup to give an accurate 'top 5'. I think the Big Bear Run is one of the very few organized dual-sport rides in CA where people tend to even remotely think of it as a 'race', and I don't think most really do.

Maybe next year they can clock you when you leave, and clock you when you return to grab a 'total time' on the course. Then you'd get an accurate 'top 5', but the way it is now you'll never really know since the #'s are going to be completely arbitrary.

If your idea of a challenge is using a tire that makes riding more difficult, more power to ya. A lot of the hard way sections in Big Bear are hard enough for most people where they don't need to introduce more factors to make it harder. I like to think that I try to ride smarter, not harder, hehe.

Sure would be nice to earn a plaque and mount in my garage. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

With that logic, why ride a 650L and not just use a BMW GS?

I only wish I was good enough that the Big Bear run hardways wasn't a challenge. I have a long way to go.... :(

That more like it.

Someone who understands

I wanted to finish, top 5, on a 650L, with MX tires.

Guest Crusty

Bruce won,king.gif

They gave him an award.

We compared our GPS data, to make it official.

I was thinking of filing a protest because he rides there more than I do.torch.gif

Hey you won a Plaque as well! Let's see it...what does it say on it? :lol:

The trials tires are my all around summer tire. Those that don't like the tire or have issues with them most likely are running way too much pressure. Run at the correct pressure it is like cheating. Usually I am at about 8lbs in the rear.

606 tire on my CRF are junk......blow them away. But when I ran them on my XRR it was an all around great tiparticularlyiculary don't like the "race" feel that some of those on the ride try to make it. Usually I start in the middle and finish about the middle....no fun in passing a bunch of people, dust or getting passed by people. Remove a bunch of "easy ways" so that I am not adding in miles just to be riding miles. Would rather add in more challenges.

Question on your jetting......are you changing your pilot jet? what is the stock main jet? Moving the clip?air box..my airbox is all cut up (need to stay away from REALLY deep water :heh: ) jetting is best at 175 main, 48 pilot, needle at the 5th clip.

I am also running a 450R head ported and hot cams.

Just curious where you came up with the jetting as I had a problem with a 50 pilot last weekend. Am looking for best practices in with different set ups

Guest Crusty

You made a mistake with the air box mods,unless you are a racer.

This bike will last much longer with a clean air filter.

I don't feel I need any more top end for trail rides.king.gif

The coarse was a not as tough as I thought it would be.

The hardest part for me, was to navigate with a dusty GPS.

I was much more sore after racing the Score San Felipe 250 than this ride, crash included.

It was tough starting in the back in a big cloud of dust., thats why I worked my way to the front.

once up front I found some great people to ride with.

The coarse was not a CHALLENGE for me

The Big Bear hard sections are a challenge for EVERYONE. I have quite a few friends that race currently, Tecate Enduro, Baja 250/500/1000, D37, D38, WORCS, and winning in their respective classes in some cases, and those guys tell me that Big Bear hard ways are a challenge for them (I already know they are hard for me). Those guys ride better, faster, and harder than you do. That's not saying you don't ride well...but when guys that do this kinda thing a couple times a month say it's a challenge, I'm inclined to believe them as they're experts at what they do.

Ya know, it really is OK to say something is hard/challenge, no one will think any less of you for it.

The Big Bear hard sections are a challenge for EVERYONE. I have quite a few friends that race currently, Tecate Enduro, Baja 250/500/1000, D37, D38, WORCS, and winning in their respective classes in some cases, and those guys tell me that Big Bear hard ways are a challenge for them (I already know they are hard for me). Those guys ride better, faster, and harder than you do. That's not saying you don't ride well...but when guys that do this kinda thing a couple times a month say it's a challenge, I'm inclined to believe them as they're experts at what they do.

Ya know, it really is OK to say something is hard/challenge, no one will think any less of you for it.

Go easy on him. He's taken quite a bonk to the noggin.

I have a friend that told me he never needed to run a marathon because he knew he could do it. I told him that was BS. Well he went and ran the Rock and Roll marathon in 3:49. Not bad for a 50 year old guy that had never run one before. I think I feel the same way about the Hard Way Challenge. I know I can do it and at my ripe old age I don't know if I have to prove anything to anyone. That said I might want another plaque to hang in the garage.

Covered in Trophies

The coarse was not a CHALLENGE for me

If this is what happens on an easy fire road

post-174-087671800 1309371749_thumb.jpg

I would hate to see what happens on a hard section! :lol::lol::torch:

Challenge is everything that can happen. Thats why you fight the fight, run the race or play the game.

Covered in Trophies

I would just like to point out the plural nature of what Chris is covered in. There is only one of me to my knowledge and he is not covered in either of us. :ph34r:

Racing a trail ride is for Tools. Crashing racing a trail ride is just funny.

smiley-laughing014.gifWhat he said.

it's only a race if everybody is racing

That being said- crusty; your injuries look painful... glad you are "more or less" ok

we all learn from our mistakes, though right?

I'm talking about the BIB up front, etc...

Guest Crusty

If it was a race I would have been going much faster,

and would't be on a XR650L.

But I don't care to race anymore

I did want to be back at the pool with my wife by 2:30 though.coolio.gif

What I learned.

This could happen to anyone, anywhere anytime!

Bikeslut Tree and I are lucky it wasn't worse.

In Swami's video going up Gold Mountain,

It look like he was going faster than I was on the fire road.My link

But we were faster in the rocks and never stopped to look at anything, pick a line and ride it!

I don't think I want to ride Baja, or with my wife on the back anymore.

I am glad it did happen here, close to all these great doctors and nurses.

I am so glad I married a nurse. I AM SO GLAD I MARRIED A NURSE!

My nose is fine, stitches just came out.

Doctor said if I don't like the scar to come back in 6 months

and he will fix it.

Thank's for all your well wishes, Craig.heh.gif

and thank's for the entertainment between doctors appointments.