Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crusty

Big Bear pinnacles. Devil's Hole might be too

Guest Crusty

I had a great day. Thank's Doug and Randy.

Epic ride!

It was nice to see a couple BRO's from "BANNED CR 500 RIDERS" on the mountain,

glad you got to meet my friends!

Hope we can ride there again, SOON. coolio.gif

Yeah, was a great day ! Good riding with you both.

Hope DigDug got his wheel bearing fixed.

It's sad how out of shape I am, haven't ridden those types of challenging trails in awhile....need to get out to Corral Canyon to build up my endurance !

Wheel bearing is fixed. Oil changed, bunch of other maintenance done. Still haven't downloaded the pictures, but hopefully tonight.

That was a great loop! Too bad Devil's Hole is still too deep to cross. Looks like the winter has been cruel to that crossing. Deep holes, large rocks even on the dry shores moved all around from when the water was high. Lots of the trails looked different up there for sure!

I'm ready to go back!

Haven't been up there in so long, those pictures make me miss the place. ^_^

Nice photos. Stream looks cold and fast.

Yes, one can never be too careful.

post-3850-012016300 1306272192_thumb.jpg

We discussed various options while we were enjoying the rest break by the stream. I walked across, we tried piling some rocks in the hole, walked different lines, etc. Someone had ridden across these two logs (visible tire tracks on them)

img3867t.jpg

But they weren't level and it wouldn't take too much of a bad tire placement to make the wheels slip diagonally down between the logs. Plus, the water was swift and deep on both sides.

We thought about just bulldogging the bikes across with motors off so we didn't suck water. The concern wasn't just the depth, it was the current. I've had swift, shallower water literally lift the bike up off the wheels. Pin it against a rock with the water running hard, and you'll have a hard time getting it lose.

I'm pretty sure we could have gotten across without any issues, but this was day one of what was planned to be a two day ride. Plus, it was still early. We had nothing to prove, so we decided to enjoy the single track in the opposite direction and log some more miles rather than fighting the water and then riding the boring fire-road back to the trucks.

Nice photos. Stream looks cold and fast.

Yes, one can never be too careful.

I'll make somebody a good deal on some "All Balls" wheel bearings. ;)

Should someone build a small bridge or teeter toter bridge over the stream? :ph34r:

Nice pics...Looking forward to summer riding in the mountains....BUT....Stream crossings like that????.....:blink:.

I give you guys props because I know you DO often just go for it..........I just don't have the balls!!!.......(Oh Ya....I don't have "ANY"....) :P