piratemonkey

Poop protocol

Ive been using the PETT for a while now when 4wd camping, much nicer actually being able to sit down. Walmart of all places carries the bags, none of my local "sporting goods stores" knew wtf I was talking about. You can just dump the used bag into any trash can as the powder inside neutralizes the hazardousness. Never thought about bringing it bike camping but the bags do pack down really small...

If you are packing your own crap, nice job. Please be polite and let us know before you take the sweep position.

So, while on this subject think about this for a while. Right now the eco-terrorists (the Sierra Club and all their spin-off whacko groups) are using the off-roaders as the bad examples for closing off ALL our recreation areas because of the supposed "damage" we create while enjoying our favorite areas. Once they have everything locked up from us then they will use the human waste problem for their propaganda to finally close everything that's left open to ALL HUMAN access. Don't think it can happen? Just wait. These people have nothing better to do with their sorry lives than to bitch and gripe about everyone else having fun so it's inevitable. Yep, it is a bunch of crap (pun intended.)

Yeah Alan......I know some of them consider humans as the cancer of the planet.

When hiking the entire run of the Virgin River "narrows" section, you have to get a permit, and part of the permit, they issue you a foil bag filled with some powder; this is your "solids" toilet for the next two days (I did it in one day, because the camping area we were assigned made it obvious non-solids were very near :bad:)

I guess that was the PETT mentioned earlier.

two words of warning for dropping a deuce in nature- poison oak and cactus spines... a female friend got the ivy one time, and my shorts picked up the cactus out near Lake Powell... I dug a nice deep hole, drop trow, and as I pull my shorts back up, mather nature bit me in the ass

darn it! I went 3 days ignoring this thread, and not even reading it and got drawn in :angry:

darn it! I went 3 days ignoring this thread, and not even reading it and got drawn in :angry:

Sucker.

you should make a poll for what do you prefer. "porta john" or "wilderness". I love the great outdoors! porta johns are disgusting... solid bag, bury it, burn it, whatever. Just don't want blue liquid splashing on my ass.

This thread reminded me of a guy I used to work with who was from the UK. He said he would go do a 3 day hiking\camping trip every year in anza borrego. And somehow the discussion came up. It turns out he was incapable (scared, embarrassed, whatever) of doing #2 in the wilderness. :lol: The poor sap held it in for 3+ days. :dead:

It turns out he was incapable (scared, embarrassed, whatever) of doing #2 in the wilderness. :lol: The poor sap held it in for 3+ days. :dead:

:o Holy ess aech! How'd he do that without exploding?????

I frequently commute to Page, Az across open desert with two dogs. About once an hour I pull off into a remote area to let them run around etc.. I can't help joining them because the open desert seems far more sanitary than most public restroom I have been in.

If you think packing tp out is gross, I'm thinking you're not a WAG bag candidate...

http://www.mount-whitney.com/hiking_backpacking_mt_whitney/mt_whitney_wag_bags.php

That was a way of life out at many of the forward operating bases I went to while in Afghanistan. Luckily, they had these fancy 3-legged stools that you could lay the bag out over and squat down on (VERY CAREFULLY!!). They even built some plywood enclosures for a little bit of privacy (well, except for the open area in front of you):

img2265sl.jpg

They would pile them up into metal drums and burn them daily. I guess the chemical reaction of the powder in the WAG bags made them harmless to do so. I feel sorry for the poor guy that has to do it though.

For number 1 - they didn't want everyone going wherever so they installed PVC pipes into the ground - at least that way, it was out of "sight" while it seeped in:

img2309i.jpg

I knew I took those pictures for a reason!!!

they had these fancy 3-legged stools that you could lay the bag out over and squat down on (VERY CAREFULLY!!).

img2265sl.jpg

That looks like it would go over if somebody passed gas in it's general direction. :confused:

The poor sap held it in for 3+ days. :dead:

When I was in USMC boot camp I went 3 weeks without dropping the deuce. They considered me a diet private and restricted my food to grapefruit and salad. I was sent to the infirmary to get checked out. I was basically starving.

I especially love the diapers tossed in the bushes, really nice touch. If any of you here ever trained in Bridgeport, you know about packing it out and burning it. In Iraq we used trenches and tossed a little dirt on it. After a few days, pour on a few gallons of diesel and burn. Break ot the hot dogs and marshmellows and have a party.

If you are going to all the trouble of packing it up... remember to pack it out.

If you think packing tp out is gross, I'm thinking you're not a WAG bag candidate...

http://www.mount-whitney.com/hiking_backpacking_mt_whitney/mt_whitney_wag_bags.php

That was a way of life out at many of the forward operating bases I went to while in Afghanistan. Luckily, they had these fancy 3-legged stools that you could lay the bag out over and squat down on (VERY CAREFULLY!!). They even built some plywood enclosures for a little bit of privacy (well, except for the open area in front of you):

img2265sl.jpg

They would pile them up into metal drums and burn them daily. I guess the chemical reaction of the powder in the WAG bags made them harmless to do so. I feel sorry for the poor guy that has to do it though.

For number 1 - they didn't want everyone going wherever so they installed PVC pipes into the ground - at least that way, it was out of "sight" while it seeped in:

img2309i.jpg

I knew I took those pictures for a reason!!!

if they got some disco balls and the stupid music it would be just like TJ.