KTMrad

How About a Ride Like This ?

Awesome single track trails on THIS VIDEO

I did many of Damon's rides (Team Dual Dogs) in the Kernville area had some trails similar to that every year, and the 6 Days of NorCal had some, as well as a dualsport ride my first year on the DR350.....needless to say, my first time on a trail like that with only a few months experience made my you know what pucker a bit....there was a few hundred foot dropoff to the right on a goat trail up in the Frazier Park - Mt. Pinos area near Hungry Valley.

Gotta get the 640 out for some of that this year. Perhaps a small group ride to Kernville, running some old rollcharts from previous rides. I really want to do this come May. Have to plan it out, possibly go prerun the trails this year, or carry a chainsaw with us to clear downed trees. Anybody got a small chainsaw that can be carried on a bike ? Or, I may just get in touch with Chris Horgan who lives up there, who is Prez of Stewards of the Seqouia, he knows all the trails.

This type of trail riding will be for intermediate to experts only, and suggest no Big Red Pigs or KLR's (or any other big pigs), unless you've done that type of riding on those bikes and you're of the appropriate skill level.

Another thing about this type of riding......stock gearing is a No-No.

For example, I think my stock KTM 640 gearing is 16/42 (or 15/42 ?)....for tight, nasty single track, I run 15/47 (or 14/47 ?). You have to be able to crawl in first gear up the difficult sections.

Anybody got a small chainsaw that can be carried on a bike ?

YES! I have one that you can carry on YOUR bike... there is no way I would want to drag the thing around, but you can...

I would love to ride trails like this... I figure I can probably take one trip a year to go riding without the wife and kids...(my choice, not hers)

just be careful with chainsaws, one of my teachings.

Posted Image

I had an oak tree that was damaged in the Cedar Fire, and then fell over... so I am up on the "now sideways" trunk, with a chain saw... cut through the tree trunk, and a huge section falls off, catapulting me and a chainsaw 5 feet into the air. and like a dumas, I HOLD ON TO THE STILL RUNNING SAW... almost bisected my torso...

I saw the trail at Los Pinos area when I used to have the KTM 300 EXC.. I saw the clifs and decided, uhmm, this is not for me... seems like fun, but definetly it's not my skill level yet... :rolleyes: If it did not have the clifs on the side, maybe I would give it a try... but you expert riders bring some pictures to post... :lol:

There are other trails around that area that are fun, over at the hungry valley OHV park, and I would like to try those once again some day...I just hate L.A. trafic gonig toward that area... that video is great! thanks for sharing it Randy... maybe Pyro can take his KLR and bring a new video for us..

Can I come along if I carry the chainsaw??

mawAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I'm blown away by this type of riding! I've watched this video 4 times now and I'm still amazed by it! Thanks I really enjoy WATCHING this video! Some of the sections with the height and narrow trail is AWESOME!

RJ

Guest Hammerin Hammon

This type of trail riding will be for intermediate to experts only, and suggest no Big Red Pigs or KLR's (or any other big pigs), unless you've done that type of riding on those bikes and you're of the appropriate skill level.

For that type of riding it wouldnt be wise to ride a bike that weighs over 250 pounds because you will be more likly to get stuck. Its best to ride a bike that you can lift up and out of tight spots.

I'm home with the dial-up connection right now :unsure: , but I'll be checking-out the video tomorrow. Is this a Dual Sport ride? If I don't need a plated bike I'd be in, and rockin' the 525!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I'm home with the dial-up connection right now :unsure: , but I'll be checking-out the video tomorrow. Is this a Dual Sport ride? If I don't need a plated bike I'd be in, and rockin' the 525!

Its a little harder than Heart Attack hill, witch was really easy.

You need to bring a mail box. Not a 525.

WHOSE VIDEO-THAT WAS GREAT! WHEN IS THIS TRIP? WHAT AREA ? I USED TO RIDE KENNEDY MEADOWS A LOT AND THE AREA LOOKS FAMILAR. WAS THAT A LEGAL TRAIL BECAUSE MY EXPIERANCE IN CALIF. RIDING TELLS ME THEY USUALLY CLOSE THE GOOD STUFF. THAT WAS AWSOME!

Watched the video this morning, now I understand what all the hoopla is about - COOL VID RAD! I'll keep an eye out for the ride post, can't wait to go :D

You need to bring a mail box. Not a 525.

:ph34r: I don't get it Craig. What do you mean?

Guest Hammerin Hammon

What I find hard about this trail is, were am I going to pass you guys at. :ph34r:

Surf is on the way up, see ya in the water.

post-465-1176131647_thumb.jpg

Guest tomas

Great vid , was that trail as narrow as it looks Holy crap My 10 yr old said no way!!!!!!

tomas

My palms started to sweat and my heart started racing just watching the video! When are we going? I’d like to attend, so I need to start buttering up the wife now.

If you know where we can ride that kind of trail I am definately in. I would kind of have to ditch my freeway cruizin sprokets with something a litte more trail freindly, or just ride the clutch till it melts......either way. :D Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find some butter.

and suggest no Big Red Pigs or KLR's (or any other big pigs),

I resent that comment! :D

Looks like a lot the trails we used to run in New England.

They were great until they all got closed down because stupid people were destroying them! :D

One important thing to note about this type of riding is difficulty of EXTRACTION!

If you get injured or have a serious mechanical issue, getting you or your bike out of there can be a VERY nasty process!

No joke, some of the reason i wanted an Air Cooled bike an went the simplicity route was due to a previous experience on gnarly single track.

Long story short, i destroyed the radiator on my CR250 and lost ALL coolant. Had to get towed out, ending up being more of a "Me Push The Bike" out of about a 5 mile loop of this stuff. Was damn near 2 days or VERY tiring work just to get the bike out.

We didnt have anything else going on, so it wasnt a big deal, but if this was a medical emergency, it would have been ugly! Go Prepared!

Ok, i am done, carry on!