SteelRain

WTF Officer

Maybe I am crazy. I have a great deal of respect for the police, As a former Marine I know that every day they suit up and stand on that thin blue line. When a job is well done, I commend their efforts, but occasionally something like this happens and I have to share.

As many of you know, I always have a helmet camera rolling and if the video shows the incident (it may not due to camera placement) I will be sending it to the SDPD.

I left my house in Poway around 0750 this morning and put-put my way through the scool zones to the express lanes. Cruising 15 South at about 64-66 MPH (so says my GPS data for the location this happened) I notice that I am closing on a semi/tractor-trailer in the right lane (of the express lanes; a big no-no), doing an estimated 60-63mph. I know for a fact that nobody is around me, but I do my normal routine of turn signal, check mirror, head check, check mirror, head check and moved into the fast lane. I am about halfway past the truck in the right hand third of the lane when I get a "feeling" I check the left mirror and see nothing, but when I look into my right mirror it is completely filled with police motorcycle.

Now, not only were there no vehicles within 300 yards when I moved over, I have only been in the lane for about 5-7 seconds; and I am in the RIGHT HAND THIRD OF THE LANE and this guy literally would hit my right side bag with the nose of his RT should I roll off the throttle.

HE IS RIDING BRAILE between a semi and me.

I don't know why I did this (self Preservation?), but I moved hard to the left never leaving my lane to give this guy some room. The motor officer just stayed very close to me while I am completing my pass and holding my speed. As soon as I can see the both of the truck's headlights in my right mirror I perform my normal lane change routine and as I am about to move to the right I hear a siren...

Seriously?

I know that when LEO lights you up you get over (you should also do this for faster traffic). So I begin to move over and as soon as my wheels hit the rumblers, the officer pulls up next to me on the right, I aggressively came back into the left lane. Now he is pointing and yelling (like can hear you dummy), then he goes WOT and leaves me, all th while slicing through traffic in the HOV, leaving me in a sea of pissed off cars who have just been cut off and were forced to swerve or brake hard to avoid him.

I noticed he exited to 15 south....So I took 163 south.

What really has me worked up is that he never had his lights on and only tagged the siren for less than a second. There is no excuse for jamming like he was without some indication of emergency, maybe in a neighborhood serving a warrant or something, but not the freeway.

In the past few weeks I have seen some real bad MotoLEO behavior but this one involved me directly.

WTF.

Next to that truck I could have tagged my brakes... deep down inside I almost wish I had (but I am not that kind of person) and no matter how you work the angles, I go left and he goes right. What was this guy thinking?

I will look at my footage tonight and if any of his shenanigans are visible before he outright ran from me, I am going to be contacting the SDPD PA office and the local news with the footage.

And remember, I have a ContourGPS, so my speeds and map locations are recorded every second with my video.

Edit 04/15/2011 @ 0912: Fixed typos

contact the SPDP anyway... that sounds like dangerous behavior (legitimate reason for the speed or not) and he should be reported

and post the video if anything came out; unfortunately, I anticipate most of this happened behind or alongside of you, so it may not show much

Like you, I'm a Marine Corps Alumni and have huge amounts of respect for the police. Hell, my dad and step-mom were both CHP for over 20 years and one of my best friends is an El Cjon PD officer. That said:

Lately I have noticed some really poor and unsafe riding by SDPD motors. The one that really pisses me off though is the one that easily could have killed me and the officer.

I was riding on 5 north with a buddy. He was behind me and we were riding staggered, I was in the left side of the lane, he was on the right. We were cruising along when all of a sudden I felt this "WHOOSH" of air as an SDPD motor went flying past me on the right at about 10-15 mph faster than I was going. I had ZERO warning he was there and he passed so close to me that the turbulence from his bike made mine rock. :blink:

No, he was not on an emergency call as I saw him get off the freeway two exits later and ride off. His lights were not on, his siren was not on.

When we got where we were going I asked my buddy if he saw what had happened. His eyes were huge and he told me that the guy had actually woven (weaved?) in between us!!

If I had swerved even slightly, say to miss a pothole or piece of trash on the freeway, we would have both gone down hard.

The problem is that this isn't isolated, I've seen way too many examples of this recently and they're all SDPD motors.

Anyone know if there is someone at SDPD we can voice our concerns to? An Assistant Chief or Captain who is in charge of motors?

SDPD Trafiic Division

Complaints or (God forbid) Kudos

I am not going to make excuses for any behavior but it seems the place is falling apart. The fact the City STOLE $1.4 Billion from the retirement fund and now police & fire are having to build the fund back up is seriously affecting morale. My contribution out of pocket went from $150 per month to over $1000.....no fault of mine. .....and nobody went to jail.

The overtime has been cut, the contracted Purchase of Service Credits (buying years of service - usually to augment time spent in the military) has been backed out on. I have a buddy who's been retired 3 years and purchased 5 years of service for his military time at a predetermined rate. They came to him and told him he's gonna have to cough up another $60K if he still wants his retirement (5 yrs credit). Kinda like selling you a bike for $2000, then coming back and telling you I need another $3000 cuz I think I charged you too little.

The SDPD has had 6 officers/sergeants arrested for felonies this year....and one more pending I know about. They are hiring very low qualified people due to the retirement buyback issue because the highly qualified folks are going elsewhere without that problem.

Trust me, it's going to get worse.

Again, not an excuse. I've always supported PROFESSIONAL law enforcement and endorsed dealing with those who aren't doing it correctly.

Sounds like Police/Fire got ROYALLY screwed on that one =\

SDPD Trafiic Division

Complaints or (God forbid) Kudos

I am not going to make excuses for any behavior but it seems the place is falling apart. The fact the City STOLE $1.4 Billion from the retirement fund and now police & fire are having to build the fund back up is seriously affecting morale. My contribution out of pocket went from $150 per month to over $1000.....no fault of mine. .....and nobody went to jail.

The overtime has been cut, the contracted Purchase of Service Credits (buying years of service - usually to augment time spent in the military) has been backed out on. I have a buddy who's been retired 3 years and purchased 5 years of service for his military time at a predetermined rate. They came to him and told him he's gonna have to cough up another $60K if he still wants his retirement (5 yrs credit). Kinda like selling you a bike for $2000, then coming back and telling you I need another $3000 cuz I think I charged you too little.

The SDPD has had 6 officers/sergeants arrested for felonies this year....and one more pending I know about. They are hiring very low qualified people due to the retirement buyback issue because the highly qualified folks are going elsewhere without that problem.

Trust me, it's going to get worse.

Again, not an excuse. I've always supported PROFESSIONAL law enforcement and endorsed dealing with those who aren't doing it correctly.

They just came at me for another 36K

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/apr/21/sdpd-officer-investigated-mira-mesa-dispute/

One more - and there's still one more pending that hasn't hit the media yet. These are mostly the senior guys who are probably stressing out with the morale, retirement, etc. problems. Wait for those hired in the past 5 years to start in with the corruption due to lower hiring standards. The washout rate in the academy has never been higher but they have to staff the place so many get through. I sure hope the former City administration and (former) Chief Sanders knows what they've done to the citizens. One only needs to look at New Orleans, Chicago, etc to see what's coming.

The thing that really gets me is all of the citizens railing against the police/fire retirements and cheering this sort of action by the City Admin. There is a price to pay for treating your emergency responders like crap. The public stood by while Sanders took away other benefits by putting deadlines on benefits upon retirement...."retire by date XXX or you'll lose medical benefits" (you know, the ones that are guaranteed under City Charter). The normal retirement attrition is 60-70 per year. Over 190 retired before they wanted to due to the deadlines imposed (and that was just the cops). That's approximately 4000 years of experience...gone. Replaced by new folks hired under more lax standards. Look to LAPD's history when they went on hiring binges, rushing folks thru backgrounds, etc. Rampart scandal ring a bell?

Anyway, rant off. Just sad to see a once proud organization being driven off of a cliff.

Over half the injuries and fatalities to LEOs arise from motor vehicle accidents. Some cops should slow down and use blinkers too. If not, there's a reason for sirens.

http://www.odmp.org/year.php Deaths - 14 out of 60......not really quite half.

I searched for actual stats on traffic related injuries but couldn't get a good source. It's probably closer to half but I don't know.

If you think sirens are the panacea, you're mistaken. Even without my radio on, traveling with my windows up, I can't hear a siren until it's pretty close. I've seen plenty of and been involved in plenty of "siren activated" (Code 3) driving. The biggest danger is the motorist that panics and stops, doesn't pull to the right, pulls out of a side street from a dead stop, etc. People freak out when they hear a siren. Adrenaline on the officers part plays a role too.

I used this exercise at community meetings when "cops drive too fast" came up. Find something that'll click down seconds, at START, hit the palm of your hand with your other hand (made into a fist). How many times can you hit in 10 seconds? If I'm driving a little fast to shave 10 seconds off my route to save a child, woman or store clerk from getting hit (or stabbed) that many times, is it worth a little fast driving?

Remember, cops are usually on their way to saving someone's ass if they're driving fast, not just a burglary investigation, car theft report, etc. Not that they shouldn't do it as safely as possible but it doesn't happen in a vacuum.

In 23 years, I've never heard "how'd you get here so fast?"............it's usually "what took you so long?" Sometimes my response was "Well, at the latest community meeting, folks were complaining about cops speeding. Combine that with the reprimand I got for speeding on the freeway while responding to a robbery in progress (TRUE).....I thought I'd just follow every single traffic law on the books and be extremely courteous to all other motorists on the way here." I could have - but didn't - follow up with - "now, I know paramedics are standing back until I got here to make sure it was safe for them to come save your child/mother/husband.....so are they still alive?"

It's easy to stand on the outside and point fingers, Paul.

Over half the injuries and fatalities to LEOs arise from motor vehicle accidents. Some cops should slow down and use blinkers too. If not, there's a reason for sirens.

is this a fact? Is it "chase related"?

I understand "sometimes" it's better to let some suspects go, rather than endanger others on the road, but really... letting a KNOWN danger go by NOT chasing (and possibly causing a danger to others) doesn't make much sense

and twice in the past week I have seen people not even AWARE of the sirens around them... latte sipping, donut munching, cell phone yapping, radio blaring idiots (I meant the civlians) people passed by a firetruck and Sheriff on a two lane road, because they didn't pull over

If idiots can't see a light bar, I doubt they'll see blinkers.... they can't see a frickin motorcycle (mine) fr chrissakes

as for slowing down in general; I, too, wonder when I see a CHP flying down the freeway, or an SDPD car go through a red light, but the reality is, it doesn't affect me... I would rather assume it is work related and leave it at that

the OP was pointing out that the SDPD actions directly affected him and could have had bad consequences

Like most of you; I grew up looking up to law enforcement, and think they should be held to a higher standard; that may not be fair, but that's how I see it... it's how I behave at work; I KNOW people are looking to me as the example, and HOPING to catch me screwing up (spending time on SDAR while at work for instance :ph34r: )

but the truth is; if LEOs aren't paid well for the job they do, the good ones will leave, leaving us with the dregs

so; higher standard and compensation that brings the best here

Like most of you; I grew up looking up to law enforcement, and think they should be held to a higher standard;

but the truth is; if LEOs aren't paid well for the job they do, the good ones will leave, leaving us with the dregs

Agreed. LE should always be held to a higher standard. But a little understanding of their job and giving them the "benefit of the doubt" (as mentioned) would help.

There's no question that the San Diego Police Department is quickly becoming the laughing stock of Southern California agencies. In fact, if what TH says is true it must be one of the worst in all of California. Over the past few decades we have learned a valuable lesson from the teachers unions that should not be forgotten in this case - throw more money at teachers and their performance will increase. All taxpayers of San Diego should IMMEDIATELY demand that ALL police officers have ALL of their entitlements reinstated. In fact, we not only want to bring this agency back to it's former glory, we want it to reach new heights of glory, so lets vote to increase their existing entitlements and create some new entitlements as well. Think about it, with a crime rate running somewhere near zero we could all enjoy our new found utopia. We could even eliminate banks and just borrow all our money from the police and fire unions.

I really hope you're listening people. You think I'm joking? Trophy Hunter said it best, "The thing that really gets me is all of the citizens railing against the police/fire retirements and cheering this sort of action by the City Admin. There is a price to pay for treating your emergency responders like crap." That's right, if you don't take this seriously "THERE WILL BE A PRICE TO PAY" PEOPLE! It's a little creepy when the police begin sounding like the mafia, don't you think?

I hope very few of you are buying into this line of garbage. The private sector abounds with examples of productivity & efficiency without bathing the participants in copious amounts of taxpayer dollars (entitlements). What San Diego needs most of all is strong leadership that stands up to this way of thinking and a voter base that is tired of this nonsense.

I hope very few of you are buying into this line of garbage. The private sector abounds with examples of productivity & efficiency without bathing the participants in copious amounts of taxpayer dollars (entitlements). What San Diego needs most of all is strong leadership that stands up to this way of thinking and a voter base that is tired of this nonsense.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong but as I read it...

One example of private sector security comes to mind, Blackwater. A government hired contractor, wastes tax payer money and commits crimes. You imagine this for San Diego?

Funny - if Sony was paying $1000 more per month than Sanyo, for the exact same job, who would have the most applicants? Who could pick the most qualified people from that increased pool of applicants? Even if the same exact group of applicants applied at both places, the most qualified would get jobs at Sony, leaving Sanyo to wonder why they fell behind.

So - if everybody where you work took a 15% pay cut from their established rate, negotiated under contract, because the CEO and CFO embezzled $1.4 Billion, the productivity would stay the same and morale wouldn't suffer?

Let's say your competitor didn't have these same problems and offered you and your coworkers a job which re-established your pay at pre-theft rates.....how many would leave their current employment. If other guaranteed pay was slashed, would your company survive 4000 years of experience walking out the door?

I know it's popular to point fingers at the public employees, and some of the pay packages should be looked at (the more support and clerical first IMO) but wholesale "let's get those bastards" is a little nearsighted.

My 30 year old Marine son-in-law makes what I do....and some of his income is tax free. He's a public/government employee. I suppose we should go after his pay and benefits, too.

Good point Sneeker. I'm looking across the street at the new Federal Court House being built.....with "Stimulus Funds" (your tax dollars). It's not needed...the "old" building is fine.

I would think one would be more upset at $26 Million spent to restore religious buildings around the world or $770 Million to put in a sewer system in Cairo. Fact Check

Or, the $113 Billion illegal immigration problem.

There's already a "voter base" supposedly in charge of electing folks to manage those funds. How's that workin' for ya?

Very interesting thread, good read. Was un-aware of the city corruption...I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

I think what Paul was referring to police who are not responding to calls. In my limited experience, the SDPD and CHP are hands down, the worst drivers on the road. They never signal, think their entitled to driving however they want because no one will tell them otherwise...which is true. I mean, who wants to stop a fellow officer and be the laughingstock at the office?

I've personally have been run off the road, over the curb, on to the sidewalk from a cop swerving into my lane without signalling or looking. I was in the right lane on Jamacha, he was in the left, we were both going 45mph, he had been right next to me since the last light, at least a 1/4 mile (Between chase and hillsdale roads) so he knew...at least I hope he knew..that I was beside him, and still swerved over. I was in the left side of my lane as usual, so I can be visible in the driver's mirror, which was the side closest to him. When I noticed him moving, I assumed he was swerving around a tire or something in the road, so I moved the left side of the lane, but he kept coming, causing me to jump the curb on to the sidewalk to avoid getting hit by him. I ended up knocking a for sale sign into the road, and slowing down before getting back on the road and stopping at the gravel quarry turnout. I expected the cop to stop or something, but he just kept going like nothing happened...Maybe I should run with my go-pro on all the time. Not the first time a cop has tried to hit me.

As for the OP...at least it wasn't the cop on Mulholland, talk about an unsafe place to set up a speed trap... Yes, I know this road is famous for speeding bikes. But in corner?? (Not trying to hi-jack a thread...the title IS WTF officer, right?)

As for the OP...at least it wasn't the cop on Mulholland, talk about an unsafe place to set up a speed trap... Yes, I know this road is famous for speeding bikes. But in corner?? (Not trying to hi-jack a thread...the title IS WTF officer, right?)

I cant believe the nerve of that cop to cause that guy to crash! It is almost like he got out and pushed him. :lol:

Can we argue religion next, it is almost as fun as this argument.

Yeah, you get startled by anything in a corner, hitting the brakes causing you to go down, it's your own fault !

Looks like the CHP likes that corner.......

It's a natural reflex to slow down when you see a cop...Yeah it was the riders fault overall, but maybe that's not the best place for a cop to be.

Wil - if you think a cop intentionally tried to run you off the road, report them. I seriously doubt it happened. Didn't see you? Bad driving? Yeah maybe. Intentionally committing an assault with a deadly weapon? Probably not. If you have a choice, I wouldn't ride immediately next to any vehicle. Bikes are a small item and commonly not seen by others. Stagger your riding position to avoid anyone being next to you if at all possible. If not, positioning yourself away from the vehicle to give yourself some reaction time.

And you're right, cops should not sit in any public place to avoid the public's reaction to them. I could see it being a natural reflex if you're consistantly exceeding the speed limit.

By all means, blame the cops. Do not be responsible for your own actions.

"Looks like the CHP likes that corner......." Probably because drivers do things like that...... If it's a well known problem, and LE does nothing about it......and you get whacked by the well known problem.....you can bet some attorney will be arguing in court while suing the LE agency......"they knew and didn't do anything about it....can you produce evidence (tickets) of any traffic enforcement in this known racing area?" (cue videos such as above, references to M Drive on car enthusiast sites, etc)

Wil - if you think a cop intentionally tried to run you off the road, report them. I seriously doubt it happened. Didn't see you? Bad driving? Yeah maybe. Intentionally committing an assault with a deadly weapon? Probably not.

And you're right, cops should not sit in any public place to avoid the public's reaction to them. I could see it being a natural reflex if you're consistantly exceeding the speed limit.

By all means, blame the cops. Do not be responsible for your own actions.

I don't think he intentionally did it, I just don't see how he COULDN'T see me. And I ended up reporting his license number, turned out he's had several complaints, but nothing really serious, or without enough merit behind them to punish him for it.

"Looks like the CHP likes that corner......." Probably because drivers do things like that...... If it's a well known problem, and LE does nothing about it......and you get whacked by the well known problem.....you can bet some attorney will be arguing in court while suing the LE agency......"they knew and didn't do anything about it....can you produce evidence (tickets) of any traffic enforcement in this known racing area?" (cue videos such as above, references to M Drive on car enthusiast sites, etc)

Ken, I was just stating a fact, thought the 2 videos were funny....please don't interpret every comment I make about cops as negative.