Sign in to follow this  
VOD625sxc

Ktm 690 r what do you think of themp

hi everyone.I have an 04 KTM 625 sxc. I absolutely love my bike I bought it brand new and has about 80,000 miles on it. As much as love her it just isn't as legal as it needs to be to go on long trips. no blinkers horn  it's basically a dirt bike with a license plate. I've been looking at -690 and I think this is going to be the next bike for me. If anyone has one id like to see what you think of them.

Paging Vanjoosten to the white courtesy phone...

I depends on the riding you intend to do.

A riding partner of mine, who is a very seasoned rider, bought a 690 just over a year ago thinking it would have longer legs on the road but still do reasonable two track and some single track with care.  He owned it one summer and promptly sold it.  Said it is too much of a pig for his mission.  He now has a Beta 500 RS and loves it.

The 690r is one major step more piggy than the XR650r from my point of view.  My XR650r, like your 625 sxc, is just a dirt bike with a licence plate.

YMMV

Xr650r is a great bike. ive babysitted a cupple for friends. So far its the closest I could find to my 625 with only a few differences I like more about the ktm.One being the little black start Button. Im a big guy so even 450s and 500 feel small to me thats why I was looking at the 690. MORE POWER lol. some of my concerns about the 690 are the exposed motor on the bottom the gas tank being in the rear the lack of suspension it seems to be short because it about 3 inches less than my 625 all the new electrical stuff I've never ridden a bike that has a bunch of electrical going on like fuel injection and abs so just seeing

It is a 300lb bike with a more pavement based front geometry. Gets the job done in the sand or anywhere else in the dirt except tight single track. I had a good deal of fun with mine camping in Colorado on the Continental Divide Trail stuff. Totally reliable. Limited by the 3 gallon fuel tank. Managed about everything in Anza Borrego.

i-PmCVcRR-L.jpg

P1000989_1000w-L.jpg

1 hour ago, VOD625sxc said:

Xr650r is a great bike. ive babysitted a cupple for friends. So far its the closest I could find to my 625 with only a few differences I like more about the ktm.One being the little black start Button. Im a big guy so even 450s and 500 feel small to me thats why I was looking at the 690. MORE POWER lol. some of my concerns about the 690 are the exposed motor on the bottom the gas tank being in the rear the lack of suspension it seems to be short because it about 3 inches less than my 625 all the new electrical stuff I've never ridden a bike that has a bunch of electrical going on like fuel injection and abs so just seeing

I just sold my 690 so take this with a grain of salt...

If you are looking for a dirt bike to put in long miles, and still be able to navigate real off road conditions, there is no better bike. However, if you are looking to do single track it's kind of a pig, and if you want to ride freeway for hours it is going to beat you up. It's a jack of all trades type of machine, so you just need to know what your mission is.

If you're looking for more travel you can go with an 09-11 KTM or the new Husky 701 which both have an extra inch.

Also, a good bash plate should be first on your list.

Nice pics bagster. Thx for the input. Is that Ocotillo Wells? Also paddle on your bike? I really like a ten cup on my 625 at gorden wells dunes. I kinda like the fact that the 690 is very street capable. I do about 50/50 dez/trails and back road mayhem. Ramona and julian have awesome winedy road and my bike is hard to beat when it comes to holding turns.

59 minutes ago, vanjoosten said:

I just sold my 690 so take this with a grain of salt...

What's the new bike gonna be

36 minutes ago, Bp619 said:

What's the new bike gonna be

What's old is new... I'm on Strega's old 07 WR450 for the time being. Leaning towards a Euro 500 something, but not quite sure what yet.

I'm kind of thinking I need a 690 R, and a 300 EXC.

That way I'll have a good shot of having the right bike for each ride.

300 Gas Gas trials bike, 300 EXC, 500 EXC, 690 R, and 1190 R.

Maybe I could just make a trailer and pull the 300 EXC behind the 1190 R . . . would be cheeper than two extra bikes ;-)

33 minutes ago, darylhunter said:

Maybe I could just make a trailer and pull the 300 EXC behind the 1190 R . . . would be cheeper than two extra bikes ;-)

Saw this on Internet sounds like what you need.

tumblr_nzf9i8WKjb1qi0inco1_1280.jpg

On September 29, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Bp619 said:

Saw this on Internet sounds like what you need.

tumblr_nzf9i8WKjb1qi0inco1_1280.jpg

Looks like his buddy hidden on the other side of him is pulling the Smoker.  Pretty much looks like they have it figured out.  I want to go with those guys.