Strega

Steve McQueen truly was one of us...

What was really controversial about this commercial was the bike you could see behind him in the back of his pick up while he was putting on his shirt. It was his Husqvarna. Look for the red & chrome tank with white fenders. He usually rode a red & chrome tank Husky 400 Cross.

It shows him in front of a pickup and husky and then the back of a van with a Honda Elsinore and all of a sudden somebody else is on that Husky.

" For a Man's Ride,,Ride Honda." I'm impressed

Notice how he takes a " Different path to lead the rest."

What a low seat!

That was considered,,, suspension?? Rear end was kickin' around.

That bike kicked ass on all others when it came out. Don and I remember, don't we. Well, except for the 400 Cross.

Hey Steve, can you do a few more wheelies please?

If you can't we need to get Schwinn in here.

my big brother had the 250 elsinore... that was probably why I was a Honda Guy growing up (yes... I grew up)

as bgstr says... little suspension, and everybody did it by wheelying through whoops, and landing on the throttle hard... or just slowing down

Fun video, makes me want to watch on any Sunday.

Betting that where ever that was filmed it is illegal to ride there now. The water crossings reminded me of Indian Dunes very near where Steve lived at the time. I got to see his Mc collection at the Santa Paula airport in the late 70s. In fact I had the opportunity to speak with him but didnt one day at the SP airport restaurant. Hey I was just a kid & didnt want to bother him. Always sorry I never chatted with him. I rode a Yamaha YZD400 at the time would have been a good ice breaker.

Excellent cinematography that may be "the best commercial ever produced for a motorcycle."

Can this be on the SDAR Homepage? It depicts the essence of what we experience today in short fashion.

Very cool........

BUT,......so much for ATGATT :wacko: .............tools? :blink: ......spare tubes? :unsure:

Those guys must've taken some serious punishment when they crashed......and wound up stranded on more than one occassion......

And how did he mount his GPS?

Very cool........

BUT,......so much for ATGATT :wacko: .............tools? :blink: ......spare tubes? :unsure:

Those guys must've taken some serious punishment when they crashed......and wound up stranded on more than one occassion......

Good point. However with those dinky 1.2 gal? tanks they didnt get too far. Besides Steve had the helicopter to bring him supplies. :coolio:

And how did he mount his GPS?

Exactly! :lol: or listen to his IPOD? :blink: ......think any of these guys were licensed Ham operators for radio chit chat? :unsure:

think any of these guys were licensed Ham operators for radio chit chat? :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Good point. However with those dinky 1.2 gal? tanks they didnt get too far. Besides Steve had the helicopter to bring him supplies. :coolio:

Actually many desert bikes of the day could be bought with the small 1.2 gal tank for tracks or the standard 3.2 gal tank for the desert. All but one of my 79 Husky 390's have 3.2gal tanks. The 390 cr came with the small aluminium track tank which I promptly replaced with a 3.5 gal Vesco desert tank.

Very cool........

Aw c'mon guys. Didn't you notice the leather riding pants (they were always too hot for me) and cool LEATHER riding boots? How about that great Duck Bill open face Helmet? I still use mine. :rolleyes:

they basically WERE atgatt... that's what we had (I just dated myself)

like the bikes, the gear has evolved to where we are now... and I will say: for an actor, with such talent, and such a demanding schedule as he had, he was a helluva a bike rider

He wasn't just plugged into On Any Sunday because he was a famous actor... he could ride

he was not Mert or Malcolm but most people aren't