OTOH, I'm deeply in love with the Motoz tyre I tried yesterday. It's possible that the turfy conditions helped, but I was very pleased and will be ordering a front as well.

One advantage (say the proponents of the trials tires) is they damage our trails less than knobbies. And seeing where the smaller trails in PineValley are headed, this could/should be a factor in the decision. Those once-hidden trails are showing wear. A lot of it.

fn

I expect the quadtard nation and the evershrinking riding areas have a lot to do with this as well... (not to appear elitist or militant)

I think Ozzy is on to something with that Trials Tire.....I may try a Pirelli MT43 on the back of my 520 next time around (DOT approved Trials Tire! :):) ).....my friend Gil loves'em.....he's runs it at ~8PSI and got ~3K miles out of his last one.....hard to believe but true.....

Not nutty expensive and good reviews: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/...-Rear-Tire.aspx

0000_Pirelli_MT_43_Trials_Rear_Tire.jpg

Gil convinced me that this will be my next tire purchase. Might stay with the MT16 on the front, I REALLY liked that tire.

OTOH, I'm deeply in love with the Motoz tyre I tried yesterday. It's possible that the turfy conditions helped, but I was very pleased and will be ordering a front as well.

One advantage (say the proponents of the trials tires) is they damage our trails less than knobbies. And seeing where the smaller trails in PineValley are headed, this could/should be a factor in the decision. Those once-hidden trails are showing wear. A lot of it.

fn

Which Motoz did you get and where did you purchase them?

On your 640 or your WR450 Roger?

I think he purchased Tractionators from Kelly at Motosportz Ken but I am not sure.

Trials tire probably is not rated for highway speeds ;p I wonder.

I would love to have a rekluse and be able to do the double lever thing on the left to move the brake

The 2 finger left hand rear brake?

yeah; then you go back and switch all of your mountain bikes to "moto" style brake setup...

once you get a rekluse, you NEED that back brake on downhill situations, (engine braking situations) and it gives you better modulation when you are way back on the pegs

I think Ozzy is on to something with that Trials Tire.....I may try a Pirelli MT43 on the back of my 520 next time around (DOT approved Trials Tire! :D:) ).....my friend Gil loves'em.....he's runs it at ~8PSI and got ~3K miles out of his last one.....hard to believe but true.....

Not nutty expensive and good reviews: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/...-Rear-Tire.aspx

0000_Pirelli_MT_43_Trials_Rear_Tire.jpg

Gil convinced me that this will be my next tire purchase. Might stay with the MT16 on the front, I REALLY liked that tire.

I just ordered one... free shipping on orders over $75... so I bought some tiedowns, too... now about those carabiners :D

(I almost lost a tiedown on the way back from Corral..of course fakey had to rub it in)

(Not rub it in all obnoxious like I would... more subtle... like "Do you have carabiners on the straps?" :) )

I want straps with Caribiners on BOTH ends. The ones I have now only have them on the opposite end of the soft strap.

I want straps with Caribiners on BOTH ends. The ones I have now only have them on the opposite end of the soft strap.

he doesn't need encouragement :rolleyes:

but yeah... he cuts off the hooks, and replaces both with 'biners... that IS pretty fool proof

I don't have Carabiners on mine :rolleyes:

Yeah I am not sure how much engine braking you lose with a Rekluse, never heard that as one of the issues from people. The only issue I heard was with bump starting and if you eliminate the clutch lever for wheelies or other clutch feathering situations. but thats why I said the 2 lever setup usually a small lever for clutch and the normal one for rear brake. I have such a hard time with rear brake feel especially while standing is all. Gary at EFM autoclutches can make you one for any bike also.

RE back on the tire topic.

This new trials tire might be the next try for me once I eat up the tractionator but its been great in the dirt so far. Actually I need to put a new rear on the DRZ but it doesnt need DoT spec tires but for wear I might do it anyway.

fn

I'm considering one of those on my Husky. How do you think it would hold up on the street?

It's my commuter and so far anyway, my garage queen!

I don't have Carabiners on mine :rolleyes:

Yeah I am not sure how much engine braking you lose with a Rekluse, never heard that as one of the issues from people. The only issue I heard was with bump starting and if you eliminate the clutch lever for wheelies or other clutch feathering situations. but thats why I said the 2 lever setup usually a small lever for clutch and the normal one for rear brake. I have such a hard time with rear brake feel especially while standing is all. Gary at EFM autoclutches can make you one for any bike also.

RE back on the tire topic.

This new trials tire might be the next try for me once I eat up the tractionator but its been great in the dirt so far. Actually I need to put a new rear on the DRZ but it doesnt need DoT spec tires but for wear I might do it anyway.

How many miles do you have on the Motoz now?

not as many as I normally would have weather being the way it has been I have been driving more than riding. Probably 300 miles street and 100-200 dirt miles on it. Hard to tell how it's wearing with riding it less regularly. The vibes sure make it different on the highway and it hurts gas mileage a bit

ok.....I have read through this thread, checked out tires online, talked to people and still cannot make a decision what tires to get for my XR650.

Currently I run a 130/80/18 Dunlop 606 on the rear and a Maxxis on the front.

I would say that about 85% of my riding is off road. Mainly mountain riding and Ocotillo Wells.

I guess I was thinking of a poll here.....what do you suggest for a big boy on a big toy?

On the rear for mixed riding on a bigger bike I don't think you can go wrong with the 606

On the front I am not sure which one the guys were liking most I think the most popular would be the MT18 Pirelli or its replacement

I want to try the MT43 trials tire but I am not sure how it holds up mileage wise when you have to do any pavement

I'm running an MT 43 on my 525 and have about 7-800 miles on it now. It's showing some wear and I'm guessing I'll get about 1800 or so outa it. I once rode 1300 miles on a Maxxis IT and it was gone at that mileage. The MT gets great traction in everything except on braking in dusty hardpack, it more than makes up for that in predictable step out in turns.

ok.....I have read through this thread, checked out tires online, talked to people and still cannot make a decision what tires to get for my XR650.

I would say that about 85% of my riding is off road. Mainly mountain riding and Ocotillo Wells.

I guess I was thinking of a poll here.....what do you suggest for a big boy on a big toy?

If it were me on that bike? A 140 606 and a 739 or similar non DOT up front...

I want to try the MT43 trials tire but I am not sure how it holds up mileage wise when you have to do any pavement

MT43 is a DOT tire, it will hold up well. Guys are getting LOTS of mileage out of them. Add air if you're gonna run it on the road, take a lil out in the rocks :angry:

On the WR450 I'm now running a Bridgestone 603 up front, and a Pirelli MT43 Trials Tire on the back. I was VERY happy with both of them for the short ride at Pine Valley and 4 days up in Mammoth. I am now SOLD on the MT43.

However, for desert season, I'm gonna put the Maxxis Desert IT back on the rear when I'm out at Ocotillo, Superstition, Plaster City, etc.

If it were me on that bike? A 140 606 and a 739 or similar non DOT up front...

I run a 23" Trials tire on the front of my 78 XL250s up in Page. The main reason is that 23" tire selection is limited. The original Bridgestone is too street oriented and the motocross is not street legal. A lot of dirt roads and rocky terrain. It is great most of the time but gets squirly in the occasional soft sand.

My vote is for the Pirelli MT21s. I run the 140/80 18 on the rear. It hooks up great in the dirt and inspires confidence on the street. I run the MT21 on the front too. Just adjust tire pressure for conditions and pavement or dirt.

I ran the MT 43 Pirelli DOT street legal tire and only got 1500 miles out of it. 50% street. Going back to the Dunlop 606 front and back. You can twist the nob on a Pirelli with your fingers easily it is so soft, no chance with the 606. Soft tires wear faster. But the Pirelli did have great grip on rocks when aired down.