Strega

07 WR450F engine knock

After the last ride, I'm hearing a noticeable metal on metal knock in the engine. The magnetic drain plug had very very tiny metal shavings on it.

So, looking for suggestions. Take it in and have it looked at by the professionals? If the motor needs work, do I put it back together with stock parts or go with a big bore kit?

Just not exactly sure where I want to go from here.

If the motor needs work, do I put it back together with stock parts or go with a big bore kit?

You are kidding, right?

Stock parts- riiiight.

You are a much more *accomplished rider than I but I never had a need for more power from my former WR. Go the first step over stock bore if that's the problem and get on with it.

I'd call Steve at C&D to see if there's a WR history he knows of (you prolly already did this).

*pterodactyl hitting, rock digging concussion monger. :D

..... or go with a big bore kit?

Do they make a black anodized big bore? If so, I know you really don't have a choice. Or does a rattle can also work on an engine. :heh:

I'm with Trophy... I don't need more from the WR

It has a reputation as one of the most trouble-free race/trail bikes... I don't know that it needs a big bore, but I'm slow

I'm also a hack with a wrench... I'd be taking it to a professional. Top end may be within my skill (if I had the time) but splitting the cases? No Way

I agree, my WR has a TON of power and I don't 'need' a big bore kit. Maybe that money will go into a Rekluse...

...or a new to me KTM 450/525/530...

I don't 'need' a big bore kit.

F "need".

It's unAmerican and unManly to rebuild a motor with stock parts.

It's simply not done.

dang, that stroker kit cost more than my bike.

have you figured out whats wrong with the bike? maybe its a loose timing chain tensioner or something simple that won't require a rebuild.

sorry to hear that roger....good luck with whatever you decide....New (to you) bikes are ALWAYS Great...but as you know, the ktm's DON'T have the "low maintenance" reputation....but they SURE ARE AWESOME :party: