Sign in to follow this  
Olivenhainer

KTM too tall. Lowering?

My 2007 KTM 450EXC is a bit too tall for my 29" legs. I can touch tip-toe, but would really prefer it a bit lower. Obviously, the KTM doesn't have suspension links that can easily be lowered. Any thoughts on lowering this beautiful machine?

It can be done quite easily by a good suspension shop. My wife has her bike lowered by about 2 inches. Precision concepts did hers but you don't have to use them.

I was at M&M (formerly Precision Concepts) the other day and Mark was lowering a new KTM. I had him revalve my 2011 300 and it's good ! M&M 619 4497473

If you want to make a one day appointment, Bob Bell at Precision Concepts in Riverside can do the work in as little as three hours. I made an appointment a year ago, arrived at 10 in the morning to drop off my shock and forks for revalving. Then I visited Bass pro Shop and Chaparral and got a call on the cell phone at about 1:30 to swing by and pick up my stuff. Great work and stellar customer service. :thumbsup_anim:

http://www.precisionconceptsracing.com/

My 2007 KTM 450EXC is a bit too tall for my 29" legs. I can touch tip-toe, but would really prefer it a bit lower. Obviously, the KTM doesn't have suspension links that can easily be lowered. Any thoughts on lowering this beautiful machine?

My Husky was the same way. I pulled the forks and shock and had them resprung, revalved and internally shimmed so the bike would be an inch shorter. It handles like a dream. You can also shave the foam on the seat to gain another inch or more, there are some good tutorials on this. Ken

The right way is to have forks and shock modified but cheaper way is to just get a low seat which KTM and others like enduro engineering sell, also Synergy Seals produce a replacement lower shock bush X bush which can lower rear end by up to 7/8", these mods along with dropping forks through clamps a bit will get you more comfortable.

I am no expert on this but from understanding lowering using the suspension is not always a good idea. Optimizing for height does not necessarily match an optimization for better suspension for your riding conditions and weight.

Lowering by shaving the seat does not affect suspension or handling and to me seems like the ideal way to lower a bike.

Optimize your suspension for your weight and riding conditions with maybe a little lowering built in to an extent that does not hinder performance, would seem to be ok but changing suspension with the main goal of lowering a bike just seems like a mistake.

A quick and simple way is to go to enduro engineering (or other seat company like GUTS as well) and order the std height SOFT foam seat, you can find about 1-1.5" maybe even up to 2" sink depth with that. It is the quickest way to gain some toe touching without messing with suspension its also pretty darn plush and comfy for sit down riders.This also maintains the OEM chassis setup for optimum handling and suspension function.

The suspension lowering is also a good option it just is costly for most riders.

https://www.enduroeng.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000685-1186676752

or you can order the soft foam and have it installed locally from an upholstry shop using the OEM cover (cheaper solution)

https://www.enduroeng.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=KTM%3ASeats:Seat+Foams+for+1998-2003+KTM+models+and+Replacement+Covers+for+1998-2011

Link to GUTS Racing

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/ktmmain.html

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll start by modifying the seat, then move into the suspension if needed. I don't have a need to be a hard core rider looking for the ultimate edge, I would rather be comfortable.

Ed