dirt dame

Brrrry fun day out at McCain 12/31/10

So Schwinn and Jake picked me up this morning and off we went out to McCain to join what turned out to be a pretty substantial group of riders all gathered for a days worth of fun.

When we arrived, lots of other folks were already there. The air was cold, about 38 degrees....but certainly it would warm up a bit during the course of the day. :unsure:

We split into two groups, the fast group and the slow group, although I'd like to think that the slow group wasn't terribly slow since that was the group that I was leading. :rolleyes:

Mayhem ensued on a small scale not long into the ride. Francesca's bike was acting up, so Robertaccio was summoned off the trail that his group was on, to help his daughter get the XR100 back to the staging area. Meanwhile some of the riders in the slow group decided that they wanted to split off and join the fast group, only to find themselves befuddled by the many many trails that went every which way out on the rocky hillsides. Sneeker seemed to be MIA as well as Jake. I had a hunch about where they might be, based on the last trail I watched them disappear up. Meanwhile, Schwinn was standing on a huge boulder calling out for Jake. I took my group onward and sure enough I came across Jake on a hillside a few miles away. A debate took place about what to do next. It was suggested that I ride back to Schwinn's last position and tell him that we found Jake, but I figured that he would be looking around the trails and we might end up riding all over hell's half acre and never find one another in the process, so Jake borrowed Dirt Diva's phone and tried to call Schwinn, but he didn't answer. I am guessing that this was because he was on his bike looking for Jake. After a few minutes, we headed out on our original route and did the whole wonderful, crazy singletrack loop, all 30 miles of it. Boy, was Schwinn glad to see Jake wheelying through the parking area when we returned. Robertaccio had told him that Jake was probably with my group, but Schwinn didn't relax until the boy was in his sight again. He told Jake to leave voice mail if that ever happened again.

I really enjoyed everybody's company today and everybody rode well. We had some new faces with us and a brand new member named Ron who was riding a DRZ for the first time in ten years. We had Goofy Footer join us midroute on his CR125 and he did pretty good on it for how high it was geared. I guess I admired the fellow on the supermoto bike the most for giving it a go through the rocks, water and mud with his supersport road tires. I'm sorry if I can't remember everyone's names. there were a lot of people and....I'm getting old too.

At the end of the day, it was colder than when it began....about 36 degrees as everyone loaded up their motorcycle s for the trip home, but the weather was perfect for staying cool and refreshed while riding the tight trails throughout the day. Another perfect day of two wheeled fun for New Years Eve day.

First thing in the morning, clean bikes to unload.

101_0019.jpg

Hmmmm....I don't know about those tires... :unsure:

101_0020.jpg

Sneeker and his TE250

101_0022.jpg

Top of the morning to ya from Robertaccio.

101_0023.jpg

A trail group.

101_0024.jpg

A rest stop about halfway through our tour.

101_0028.jpg

101_0030.jpg

Somewhere out on the trail near the old water trough.

101_0031.jpg

The Diva.

101_0032.jpg

101_0033.jpg

101_0035.jpg

Man, was it cold when we left!

101_0038.jpg

Nice RR. It was 28 this morning @ my place Brrrr, was dreaming about riding but when I went outside for about ten minutes it sure was nice to come back in & stand by the airtight woodburner to take the chill off. 38° is nice as long as you are burning calories but once stopped & the sweat starts to evap it doesnt take long for hypo to start setting in. Hope to take the 300 out maybe Sunday or next week.

PS Whats that red thing on the swingarm by the axle on the 300 ?

Except for losing my kid for an hour out there conditions were unreal. You dint realize it was cold once you got riding.

Thanks Mimi for another fun tour at McCains.

Great call to go riding at McC's today, thanks Mimi. It was a bit of a CF out there with all the riders but I'm glad to hear it ended well. I left with Roberts group, got separated, and rode back with some old friends from the Tecate days that I ran into on the trail. Really fun, I'm going back tomorrow.

I'd never been there before and wasn't disappointed. Excellent conditions, I had a great time!

Yeah, I snuck off and ended up behind RacerBill, very fast, very fun! Thanks for letting me tag along Bill.

Mimi, thanks for organizing and Schwinn thanks for the snacks!

Great ride again - Thanks for the tour Mimi

Heres a few shots from the parking lot, wish I would have brought the camera along on the ride, it was a beautiful day...

post-14289-068641300 1293911394_thumb.jp

post-14289-017086700 1293911399_thumb.jp

post-14289-092820600 1293911403_thumb.jp

post-14289-057381400 1293911409_thumb.jp

post-14289-033654700 1293911415_thumb.jp

Nice RR. It was 28 this morning @ my place Brrrr, was dreaming about riding but when I went outside for about ten minutes it sure was nice to come back in & stand by the airtight woodburner to take the chill off. 38° is nice as long as you are burning calories but once stopped & the sweat starts to evap it doesnt take long for hypo to start setting in. Hope to take the 300 out maybe Sunday or next week.

Its a whip holder for a flag. Mandatory at Glamis. I removed it when we got home.

Its a whip holder for a flag. Mandatory at Glamis. I removed it when we got home.

So thats what it is. I can now put my feeble mind to rest. :huh: Thanks for the reply.

For Schwinn thanks for the afternnon snacks!!! Also because of the arrangement out there in the canyon/valley we all had full confidence that all was fine with Schwinn jr. And of course all ends well. Maybe a personal contingent plan for the future would keep things easy on the soul. We keep the stay where you are contingent if seperated, some one will always come back. Also thanks to the group for having Fran join the fun. and Happy New year all.R

For Schwinn thanks for the afternnon snacks!!! Also because of the arrangement out there in the canyon/valley we all had full confidence that all was fine with Schwinn jr. And of course all ends well. Maybe a personal contingent plan for the future would keep things easy on the soul. We keep the stay where you are contingent if seperated, some one will always come back. Also thanks to the group for having Fran join the fun. and Happy New year all.R

Fran should join us again when her bike is running good. :party:

Thing is,,, even though its a basket case home garage rebuild, it was dialed in very well (airbox mod,pipe, jetted very well lots of new parts......however the little XR that could and should and would has not had the normal rob tlc and now is showing its unhappiness with its master.

PS funny stuff is that Fran told me she loves the little machine and really feels safe and comfortable with the little honda even with its limitations. She prefers the very low XR to her sisters very well set up TTR125 (BBR cradle,BBR airbox mod,ProCircuit pipe, perfectly jetted, and better suspension and brakes). We shall see after she tries some other model machines??

Looks like fun..I've got to get out there....I love the pics of all the colorful bikes spread out...Looks better than a christmas tree!

31DEC2010 My end of the year souvenir, from the day's ride, a nice piece of manzanita lodged into my forearm (no crash). The conditions were beyond good out there and this happened right as we were heading towards camp from the back 40. No sweat rode in and removed it. Had to do some work on it to make it more managable for removal. rode again on Sun so it was a non-issue really.

manzinarm.jpg

That looks like a blast! I gotta make it out to McCain sometime. I've never been.

Hey Robert: Your doing it all wrong. " Direct injection " Stabbing yourself..HaHa

Manzanita Magic

is a family recipe that we have perfected over the last 30 years.

Manzanita was used by native persons to relieve the discomforts of skin irritations like Poison Oak.

The herbs in Manzanita Magic individually and in combination are traditionally used to:

Relieve itching, blistery, oozing rashes and insect bites

Cleanse and disinfect

Calm swelling

Treat eruptive skin irritations

Hasten healing

Draw out toxins

Protect against secondary infection

Promote new growth

Soothe and condition skin

Manzanita Magic

is a family recipe that we have perfected over the last 30 years.

Manzanita was used by native persons to relieve the discomforts of skin irritations like Poison Oak.

The herbs in Manzanita Magic individually and in combination are traditionally used to:

Relieve itching, blistery, oozing rashes and insect bites

Cleanse and disinfect

Calm swelling

Treat eruptive skin irritations

Hasten healing

Draw out toxins

Protect against secondary infection

Promote new growth

Soothe and condition skin

That stuff looks pretty neat to have around for those times when you accidentally get punctured by a tree, or the ground or a bug or a toxin. I think I'll order me some....except that it is pretty pricey at 25 bucks for 4 ounces. :o

hcam vid from the day

Robert:

Cool Video! That single track looks like a blast, the kind of riding I like to do, always on your toes, never a dull moment. I cant sit still to watch TV but I can watch Mc vids like this no problem. From the looks of your speed I think you boys have ridden that trail before. Perfect conditions. What happened to the sound about 8:00 ? that camera sure takes a beating.

BTW: Are you running a Rekluse on your 300 ?

Dusty

It was a nice first ride for me. Quite the workout, it has been many years since my last ride. Thanks to Mimi and the other riders for allowing me to tag along. Looking forward to more rides.

Ron

It was a nice first ride for me. Quite the workout, it has been many years since my last ride. Thanks to Mimi and the other riders for allowing me to tag along. Looking forward to more rides.

Ron

I'm glad that you could join us. :)

hcam vid from the day

Great video, I don't recognise any of these trails, looks like I missed a fun day.

Cool Video! That single track looks like a blast, the kind of riding I like to do, always on your toes, never a dull moment. I cant sit still to watch TV but I can watch Mc vids like this no problem. From the looks of your speed I think you boys have ridden that trail before. Perfect conditions. What happened to the sound about 8:00 ? that camera sure takes a beating.

BTW: Are you running a Rekluse on your 300 ?

Dusty

Dusty,

The the 300 is a 2010(or maybe 09) 300XCWe with lots of good bullet proof stuff on it (Flexxbars for one) but no auto clutch. I think the sound defaulted as the battery wore down. Its not me with cam on the 3 hunny, I am red/wht on my Husky450 on point. yes some sections are familiar some are surprises.R