tntmo

Considering getting rid of land line (maybe cable too?)

After going through my bills and working on a budget, I am thinking of getting rid of our home phone. We have the "Cox Bundle" with phone, cable and internet. Our home phone rarely rings any more and when it does it's usually a soliciter. We have unlimited minutes on the cell phones. Who here has been without a land line for a while? Any real reason to keep it?

I'm also considering cutting the cable tv too. We have NetFlix and internet and I could install a decent antennae to get local channels. I usually watch Discovery and the History Channel but a lot of that content is available online. What does the SDAR group think?

I haven't had a land line in ~3 yrs........we all have cell phones........but don't take away my ESPN.......

I haven't had a land line in ~3 yrs........we all have cell phones........but don't take away my ESPN.......

X 2 ON THAT

I've used Vonage for about seven years. Happy as can be with it. Just like a regular land line, but only costs $25/month. If I were in a place that got a solid cell signal, I might get rid of it. Funny how three houses over they are solid...my house... :angry2:

Geeky as I am, I do not like long or important phone conversations on VOIP or mobiles.

They are typically garbled, low sound quality, drop out and are generally frustrating. Obviously more convienent, but I don't talk long. I have friends who are wireless only and I rarely speak with them because of it. It's the same as loud restaurants- I'd much prefer to hear a persons tone and subtle expression and I can't- hate that, prefer to type. Same for Bluetooth, speakerphones or even worse Bluetooth speakerphones. My best friend lives in the West Indies and uses Skype. Can't stand it.

MUCH prefer a hardline phone for calls of importance or of any length.

Paul,

I agree with almost everything you say....except VOIP (or more specifically Vonage). If it weren't as good as a landline, I wouldn't have it. Yeah, I too prefer to speak on a "real" phone for all the same reasons you do. So much so that I don't even give my dad my cell number! I've had none of the issues you speak of WRT VOIP.

Geeky as I am, I do not like long or important phone conversations on VOIP or mobiles.

They are typically garbled, low sound quality, drop out and are generally frustrating. Obviously more convienent, but I don't talk long. I have friends who are wireless only and I rarely speak with them because of it. It's the same as loud restaurants- I'd much prefer to hear a persons tone and subtle expression and I can't- hate that, prefer to type.

MUCH prefer a hardline phone for calls of importance or of any length.

As for telephone - we haven't had a hardline in years. As for TV, I think you have to take a hard look at your needs & what TV you really watch.

Once our 2 year commitment to DirecTV was up (in July) we punted them to the curb. We were paying almost $100/mth which was quite a bit for the amount of TV we watch. So knowing out contract was up, we went through our DVR and made a list of all the shows we watched and found that most of them we're available OTA in HD. The others we found we could get online, wait for the season disks via NetFlix or just go without.

I also had started playing around with Boxee to access and play internet media, Pandora, Netflix etc. This really opened my eyes as to the amount of content available online.

So here's what we ended up with:

Mac Mini as a HTPC running Boxee (Mini was an unused box collecting dust so cost basically $0).

Boxee media app (running on the HTPC) for all web content, Pandora NetFlix streaming, loads of apps, etc. Cost = $0

DTVpal as our HD DVR ($150 w/no monthly fees - buggy but functional)

$12 RadioShack rabbit ears - gets all local US and MX stations in HD

Harmony Remote - $80 (programmed to control all the boxes/apps including MacMini)

We're quite happy with the setup. No monthly fees, more recorded HD shows then we can ever watch, full internet access from the couch etc etc. We really like having Pandora streaming throughout the house more than anything else.

Our payback on the equipment costs was less than 2 months.

Happy to share what I've learned in the process.

First step would be to plug your address into antennaweb (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx) and check to see what stations you can receive with what antenna.

Hope that helps.

-Martog

Good information Martog......I too have been thinking of the same idea (losing the phone and cable)

I have COX....called them and said that the cost is way too much. Thinking of going with Satelite.....they had all the pricing information in front of them and reduced my bill.

Martog,

If you are interested in a good app for DVR'ing OTA broadcasts for your Mini, look into the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid. Basically a USB drive you plug into your Apple product, connect the coax from your antenna, and you have turned it into an instant DVR. Very good product that I have been using for four years. Automatic add to iTunes if you desire. Used to use it to put tv shows on my iPod when I traveled to Russia each month (they don't even have BBC).

As for telephone - we haven't had a hardline in years. As for TV, I think you have to take a hard look at your needs & what TV you really watch.

Once our 2 year commitment to DirecTV was up (in July) we punted them to the curb. We were paying almost $100/mth which was quite a bit for the amount of TV we watch. So knowing out contract was up, we went through our DVR and made a list of all the shows we watched and found that most of them we're available OTA in HD. The others we found we could get online, wait for the season disks via NetFlix or just go without.

I also had started playing around with Boxee to access and play internet media, Pandora, Netflix etc. This really opened my eyes as to the amount of content available online.

So here's what we ended up with:

Mac Mini as a HTPC running Boxee (Mini was an unused box collecting dust so cost basically $0).

Boxee media app (running on the HTPC) for all web content, Pandora NetFlix streaming, loads of apps, etc. Cost = $0

DTVpal as our HD DVR ($150 w/no monthly fees - buggy but functional)

$12 RadioShack rabbit ears - gets all local US and MX stations in HD

Harmony Remote - $80 (programmed to control all the boxes/apps including MacMini)

We're quite happy with the setup. No monthly fees, more recorded HD shows then we can ever watch, full internet access from the couch etc etc. We really like having Pandora streaming throughout the house more than anything else.

Our payback on the equipment costs was less than 2 months.

Happy to share what I've learned in the process.

First step would be to plug your address into antennaweb (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx) and check to see what stations you can receive with what antenna.

Hope that helps.

-Martog

I would love to do this, but one limiting factor that I can't do without is SpeedTV's live F1 broadcasts. I MIGHT be able to convince myself I don't need ESPN, or the other networks, but if there is one thing that limits me, it is F1.

Therefore, I pay DirecTV $100/month......

My wife wants to get rid of our TimeWarner bill for TV and phone too. We have been doing Netflix via our Wii for a few months and really like it. For X-mas I'm getting her the Roku for even more streaming content. I like the Martog solution and will look into some of these parts/pieces (especially a DVR solution). I don't have a Mac Mini laying around, but I do have a iMac that might work. Thanks for starting the thread.

If you live in the east county you really should keep a landline. When wildfires strike the cell towers are overwhelmed and usually landlines are the only way to get calls or call out. It has happened to me more than once. Also with cell phones texting will work even when you cant make calls.

My wife wants to get rid of our TimeWarner bill for TV and phone too. We have been doing Netflix via our Wii for a few months and really like it. For X-mas I'm getting her the Roku for even more streaming content. I like the Martog solution and will look into some of these parts/pieces (especially a DVR solution). I don't have a Mac Mini laying around, but I do have a iMac that might work. Thanks for starting the thread.

Another good solution for shows is the new AppleTV. Basically anything you can get on iTunes you can play in HD on your TV. No need for a Mac or even a PC. $99. (Can you tell I'm an Apple guy?)

If you live in the east county you really should keep a landline. When wildfires strike the cell towers are overwhelmed and usually landlines are the only way to get calls or call out. It has happened to me more than once. Also with cell phones texting will work even when you cant make calls.

Two VERY good points!

And not just for East County....

Anywhere....

And not just Fires.....

We are overdo for a large Quake. (etc etc)

Cell Towers do go out and get overwhelmed in emergencies.

Texting may work when cell lines are up but full. Someone with knowledge about how texting gets through want to chime in here?

S

I'm an I.T. fella... Telecom Engineer....

And as good as some VoIP is, landlines still kick butt in quality but more importantly reliability.

... big hungry networks, large or small pipes, VPN, and other bandwidth issues... are only as good as your network. Kill the network, lose VoIP... lose phone.... lose cell (in major issues). Even SATellite phones will fail when major catastrophe strikes. Worse yet... not all fax machines (yes I still have and use one. Simply, to be able to communicate with those who are still in the stone age) or other modems relate to VoIP Data or Voice streams.

Landlines will always be in place. Ask any IT Engineer... what they use as backup to their VoIP system, PBX, or major phone system's T1 lines. (POTS)

.... POTS = Plain Old Telephone service

BTW, I pay way too much for my home copper line. Why? It's now using Unified Communication for voice mail. However, I Love it and will always pay for convenience (technology). ... I also use DirecTV for all the bells and whistles, and still retain local (minimal) cable for backup. AND, Roadrunner for network.

WHY put all your eggs in one basket??? ...thats bad news come time for an emergency. Redundancy in communication is key to knowledge in crisis.

coolio.gif

X 2 ON THAT

x3 on that. Cannot live without daily dose of Around The Horn.

I still have a landline, and just don't plug it in... it's there for emergency (and I don't mind the charge as part of the bundle... it also shows the number of callers on the tv... if I'm watching it)

Parents got rid of cable for ONE month.... they couldn't stand it.

I would be fine without cable myself, but not for the wife and kids. For ballgames, you can always go to a bar, and internet CAN cover about anything else I really need to see.

as for long cell phone conversations, they suck... especially for quiet talkers, mumblers and people that laugh at their own stupid jokes

especially for quiet talkers, mumblers and people that laugh at their own stupid jokes

Ow! unsure.gif

not you... but people that crack a joke, then chortle (yes... I said chortle) as they continue to talk... you ask them "what?" and they repeat the joke then guffaw (guffaw) again, until you could really give a ---- what they had to say anymore, and you hang up, claiming poor reception... the ONE benefit of cell use; when I have an undesirable call (that is most of you guys) you start it out with "I'm on a cell phone and reception is weak right here..." then hang up when I'm bored

<_<

try THAT with a land line!

I am thinking of getting rid of our home phone.

I'm also considering cutting the cable tv too.

I say do it! I have been operating this way for a couple years now. It does require a little bit of creative planning but you can still watch plenty of stuff.

I got one of these to help get the content onto the t.v. Box_Office_300px.jpg:ph34r: