dirt dame

11/03/10 Weekday Dualsport

With all the oddball weather we've had this Autumn so far, it has made for some interesting riding at a time when usually the plants are withered and brown, the dirt dusty and crumbly. But today was great! Sure, it was hot in town, but up in the mountains it was perfect. The grass and trees were all green, the earth was moist and the air smelled just wonderful. Nothing better than shirtsleeve riding weather in November! :good:

I haven't been able to ride since I took that stupid fall that messed up my back and sprained my neck a couple of weekends ago, so I was really anxious to get out and go for a putt. The neck is still not feeling so great, so I wore the lightest helmet I own (a NAU trials helmet...man is that thing comfy!). I took ol' Bailey The KLX up to Anza and started at the Dairy Queen late in the morning (well, around 10) and headed over the top of Thomas Mountain. Being by myself, I had lots of time to ride along all pokey and gawk at the scenery. It also allowed me the opportunity to see things that I wouldn't otherwise see if I were trying to lead a group or stay up with one. I found a nice legal jeep trail not far from Toolbox Spring campground that was a lot of fun to ride. Then I found another trail further down the mountain near Garner Valley. It turned into a singltrack, but seemed kind of sketchy as far as whether it was legal or not, so I turned around and headed back to the main trail.

Later on, I was exploring some old roads that I hadn't been on in eight years. I missed something back then, but found it this time around. I had been hitting a bunch of deadend private gates and was heading for the pavement when I spied a little fork in the road. It appeared to be just more barbed wire fence and another locked gate, but to be sure I rode up and had a closer look. Sure enough, it was a green forest gate with a sign on it that read "please close gate". I looked all around for any other signs that might have some other information on them, but couldn't find any. So I unchained the gate, pushed the bike through and buttoned the gate back up. The trail was two track, but not very worn. At first, it just sort of wound through the chaparral, but then topography began to close in around it and brush turned to pine forest. I was so excited and pleased that I had found the "secret legit" trail. It was just beautiful up there. I felt like I had just discovered buried treasure or something! ^_^ Coming out of the south end of the canyon, the trail makes an abrupt short climb through rocks and ruts, so I wouldn't call this a beginner or big bike friendly trail. Once up on the plateau, the ground remained rocky and flat, then the trail turned west and shadowed the edge of a brushy canyon downward for a few miles until it led me to the exit gate to this funland.

After that, it was around 3:30, so I headed over to check the view at Lake Hemet and then zipped back to Anza for some ice cream and the drive home. Put 80 miles on the odometer. It was such a perfect day. There's nothing I love better than discovering a neat new trail.

100_0100-1.jpg

100_0102-1.jpg

100_0105-1.jpg

100_0107-1.jpg

100_0113-1.jpg

100_0122-1.jpg

100_0115-1.jpg

100_0118-1.jpg

100_0119-1.jpg

100_0124-1.jpg

100_0126-1.jpg

100_0127-1.jpg

100_0128-1.jpg

The "secret legit" trail!

100_0129-1.jpg

Just awesome looking!

100_0130-1.jpg

100_0132-1.jpg

100_0133-1.jpg

100_0134-1.jpg

ya know. I've only been doing this for 6 weeks or so(no really) but your pictures, seem to capture why I want to learn adventure/dirt riding. The feeling of being out there, quiet, the tranquility. Some may regard this as pure late night spouting, but you are spot on. I look forward to learning these trails.

thanks

James

Great find. Do you have a GPS and carry a Spot? I wish I had enough confidence to explore alone. We will be camping in Ocotillo next week Nov. 12-14 and plan on exploring Anza Borrego area. Any suggestions on where to ride or care to join us.

Enjoyed the photos Mimi. You dress like me when I ride solo. Open face helmet, duck bill, minimum gear. Easy riding and enjoy the suroundings.

Wow, that looks great. Wish I had some more weekdays off.

I would love to tag along on this one next time.

Nice report. Thanks for sharing. I've done most of that with my 4Runner and now I need to go back and do it on my bike. I love Mt. Thomas and Garner Valley. I'd like to hear more about the "secret trail" ph34r.gif sometime. Sounds great.

ya know. I've only been doing this for 6 weeks or so(no really) but your pictures, seem to capture why I want to learn adventure/dirt riding. The feeling of being out there, quiet, the tranquility. Some may regard this as pure late night spouting, but you are spot on. I look forward to learning these trails.

thanks

James

Your comment on Mimis riding and writeups is something we have all known for a while and if you ever get a chance to ride with her and her knowledge of the surrroundings is great. Plus she knows where all the Ice cream stops and Chocolate is. :lol:

Mimi, YOU JUST PLAIN ROCK!!!! Your living the life i dream about. thanks for the photos and the report, YEs it true,, you simply rock!!!!

I still think you should become a local guide.

Enjoyed the photos Mimi. You dress like me when I ride solo. Open face helmet, duck bill, minimum gear. Easy riding and enjoy the suroundings.

I'll just hijack my own thread here for a moment. :blush:

I guess I just have gotten tired over the years of how heavy riding gear has actually gotten. Old style MX boots weigh about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds a piece. The new boots weigh in at 4.5 pounds each, and that's just in the smaller sizes. That's like adding an extra 9 or ten pounds to your feet when you go riding! So I have been using trials boots more and more lately and I like them a lot. Each size 6 Gaerne Balance weighs a mere 2.4 pounds, have lots of feel for technical riding and are fairly easy to walk around in, plus they have those high traction soles.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

As for the helmet....I used to wear a trials helmet for all trail riding except for wide open desert stuff. Heck, I raced motocross and grand prix for years in an open face helmet, so I am very comfortable with them (and still have all of my teeth except for the two that got root canals :o ). I think that I ride a lot better in technical situations with an open trials helmet helmet. Again, the weight is very low, 2.4 pounds, a pound lighter than a full coverage helmet and close range visibility is extremely good in one, without the chin bar distracting me.

I was looking for a nice modern styled open faced dirt helmet for a while, when I found this NAU Zona 400 at Sandiford Offroad in Great Britain. It was 53.00 US and the shipping was a lot more. So the whole cost was about 120 bucks. Took about three weeks to get here. Made in Portugal, removable padding, plastic shell, cute little quick clip chin strap. It is very comfortable. Because it is a trials helmet, a lot of air (and noise) gets in to it when I ride at highway speeds. And speaking of highway, the helmet doesn't carry any US DOT approval, only European road certification. I am very happy with it so far. :wub:

For trail exploring, less is more. ;)

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Welp, back on topic. :coolio:

It will be cooling off by this weekend. I'm sure I'll be getting back up there soon. I'll try to plan ahead and post up the ride. B)

Mimi - you are welcome to show me around the local trails anytime. I always live vicariously thru your reports - keem em coming!

Thanks for the equipment photos. I liked the boots. I often ride with my open face Shoei with a vintage duckbill and my Leather Army Combat boots from the 60's. Actually I am only wearing my rock climbing shoes in this photo. :wacko:

DSC01083.jpg

Nice one Mimi ! That looks spectacular! :good:

Great find. Do you have a GPS and carry a Spot? I wish I had enough confidence to explore alone.

I don't carry any navigation or position finding gear with me. I just rely on my keen sense of direction and lack of common sense to guide me through everything. :rolleyes:

That was a great trail/DS ride report!!!

That NAU helmet is very nice!! see below,

Also for full face helmets you may want to explore the possibilty of procuring an AIROH Stelt Sr (top line) or one of the mid range AIROHs. My Stelt Senior is 1000 grams (super lite, its one of my secret weapons), its what all those fast MX and enduro Euros and some select US riders are using.