KTMrad

SDAR Ride out of Goldpoint, NV Ghost Town

When I was in Bishop this past week, my friend Dale took me on a 200 mile ride into Nevada to old mining camps and ghost towns. Really cool stuff.

Check out this link to a living ghost town, where some people still live, and

one guy owns over 50% of the town and is making it a point to keep the town

alive for future generations. You can actually stay there in some of the old

buildings that have been restored for accomodations.

I want to put on a SDAR dualsport ride out of this town. They can accomodate 15

guys in the different cabins at once, and there are bitchin' rides to do right

out of the town.......never even have to hit pavement !

DUE TO Various factors and only about 4 people interested, we decided to POSTPONE THIS RIDE until Fall or next year.

Click on link below if you want to read about it..........and read the history of how the guy (Sheriff Herb Stone) got into this old town.

GOLDPOINT, NV. LINK

RIDE DATE IS SET FOR:

May 14-15th, 2011.

SEE THIS LINK for MORE DETAILS.

It takes about 8 hours to drive up, so you might want to make it a 4 day weekend.

Goldpoint, NV photos..........

1133096964_ZicXz-L.jpg

1133097346_e98r7-L.jpg

1133097452_WJ3cY-L.jpg

where is the closest outlet mall?

No worries, Pasta Pilot can fly you to the nearest mall :wacko:

Very cool....lets coordinate so it's not the same May weekend as Bar 10 trip...would hate to miss either....

I may be up for this, I will have to evaluate things when it gets closer to the ride date.

Hellz ya! Count me in. Can we go tomorrow?

Is there any camping area close by if there are more than 15 riders?

sweet map sneeker! (nice to have a gis guy around)......directions say 7+ hours from north county san diego...would be a nice 4 day weekend trip?.....maybe mid/late April would be cooler?......things up there might get pretty warm by later in May...close to death valley weather I would guess?.

Is there any camping area close by if there are more than 15 riders?

I've heard you can tent camp next to the cabins.

sweet map sneeker! (nice to have a gis guy around)......directions say 7+ hours from north county san diego...would be a nice 4 day weekend trip?.....maybe mid/late April would be cooler?......things up there might get pretty warm by later in May...close to death valley weather I would guess?.

Yup, if maps are needed for planning just let me know.

I called and left a message for Sheriff Stone (who served us at the bar last week).

Getting more details on how many people maximum he can handle at once.

I'd like to keep the group from getting too large....about 20-25 max. People can go on different weekends if they want, we can supply all necessary info.

I'll ask Herb how April looks for now.......my friend Dale said anything earlier, there might be snow on some of the mountains.

OK, just talked to Sheriff Herb at Gold Point.

Accomodations are as follows:

• 4 regular cabins that can sleep 2 couples, or 2 singles......(4 guys if you want to cuddle).
  • No running water, have porta-potties.
  • 1 luxury cabin with running water - same number of people.
  • 1 trailer, sleeps 2.
  • Optional other house with 3 beds, if his friend is not staying there that weekend.
  • His house is open for everyone to use for showers.
  • RV Park with 10 spots, 30 amp service for each, with sewer.
  • Tents can camp next to RV's.
  • RV Park has 2-stall shower (must be warm enough for use so pipes don't freeze).

The RV Park is booked April 15th - 17th, and 29th - 1st.

So, maybe April 22nd - 24th as date ?

Have to see if there are any conflicts for that date.

I will have my friend GPS Kevin help with routes in the area, besides my friend Dale who can show me some "special" routes.

Most of the stuff will be doable for an experienced rider on a Big Adventure Bike......with some possible challenging options.

Yes, tough for us family guys(or gals) to miss Easter. If the bulk of the riding is going to be in the mountains the end of April is fine, but it will already be hot down in the valley by then. The end of March would be better for the lower elevations. :) Ken

I would love to get in on this ride, but bein an SDAR noob I understand gettin last dibs on this. I would do tent camping as long as the showers are available. Easter is a complete no go for me. I would have a wild pack of Dago's puttin a hurt on me if I tried that.

I'll assume you meant Dingo's :unsure:

no worries about "dibs"... we always seem to make group things work, even if some people end up on the fringe hanging out in toyboxes and tents...

dago's... ha

I'll assume you meant Dingo's :unsure:

no worries about "dibs"... we always seem to make group things work, even if some people end up on the fringe hanging out in toyboxes and tents...

dago's... ha

maybe guidos or guidettes in todays world

That's pretty kewl! I will put it on my things to do in 11 file!

March looks like a good month for everyone, it will still be nice and cool. As long as it is after November of this year, you can count me in. So count me in.

April 24th is Easter.......may need to change the date ?

If Easter is what we can get, I'm still in.....or First weekend in May....you can all celebrate my birthday with me :king:

Any later is gonna get really hot down there.....depends if most of the riding is mountains or desert?.....