http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/devils_canyon_srp.html

blm has decided to issue "special recreation permits" to drive your jeep or whatever through devils canyon.

BLM would issue permits for up to 7 weekends from October 1 to April 30 for up to 15 vehicles per day. The Devil’s Canyon region is habitat for Peninsular Bighorn Sheep. Consequently, BLM worked closely with the US Fish and Wildlife service in determining the timing of these events in order to prevent adverse impacts to Bighorn Sheep.

what a joke. what they left out is that the big horn sheep are on the north side of THE FREEWAY THAT RUNS 100ft away from the canyon they are issuing special permits to use. And the trail that runs right next to the big horn sheep watering hole is open year round. I have seen so many big horn sheep out there. I can tell you they are not affected by cars trucks big rigs or motorcycles. The blm and the rest of the eco nazis are so ignorant its laughable. what a waste of tax dollars.

Also, if any of you have children that ride, you will need to attend a government mandated saftely class with your minor and you will need to carry the certificate that shows you attended with you in the desert now. The BLM will be enforcing this rule along with other new rules.

Oh ya, if you are into desert racing, well you can probably write that off too in the near future. they are canceling races now.

Also, if any of you are like me and enjoy a bottle of decent beer while camping on public desert land. You can not do that anymore. glass is prohibited in the desert now. Also you can not put stakes into the ground, ride naked or save camping spots for your friends. I'm sure there are lots of other crap they will start enforcing this season as well.

thanks for running my life FED BLM GOV ASSES, I'd be lost without you! :baaasmiley:

ps, ktmrad, you better call them in advance if you want to guarantee that they will not cancel the desert dash on sdar at the last minute. they will do it. they are out for blood.

Thx for the heads up. I'm not a big "land use" follower but maybe we all should be. I'd imagine there were meetings to determine where closures happen (hopefully with some PUBLIC input).

It's been stressed at meetings, paraded by Tommy & dsfox and I volunteered to spearhead an effort to be proactive in this area but when we laid out the proposed effort in the MO section with a request for involvment.......crickets. Get ahead of it like Tommy mentioned or suffer the consequences.

Like any organization, the govt will take the path of least resistance combined with whatever PC is in season. I lobbied the SD City Council on some law changes over a series of months.....it ain't pretty & I vomited quietly in the back of my throat while talking with them (or their staffers) but nothing a good mouthwash didn't take care of afterward. It's unfortunately what's necessary. We were about 90% successful....which is better than zero if we didn't get involved at all.

If we dont get on this right now, your toast, Oct 20 is a weds and here in san diego is a huge meeting with the DFG

about COAST KEEPER wanting to close La Jolla to fishing, YES,,, La Jolla,,, and we are gonna show up in a major force.

This is what is needed to wake em up,, Come see what 800 pissed off fishermen sound like in front of the DFG comm.

This is what DESERT RIDERS need to do, you can not play fair because these people do not, That have tons of backers, and while you are at work trying to make a living and live life on lifes terms, They have 5 million hippies in collage that work for free and show up to these meetings to fight for the Albino Fire Ant, and make sure no one steps in BIG HORN SHEEP POOP, because thats what the ALBONI FIRE ANT eats,,,

You need a force, and you need regular folks to show up, not these guys that are being paid to talk, you need the family of 6 that plays together, not some moneky in a suit talking about something he knows nothing about.It dont work that way..

We need HARD WORKING AMERICAN PEOPLE to suit up and show up,, and KIDS,, we needs kids, to show up to these DESERT meetsing in FULL MOTO GEAR, talk about riding with MOM and DAD, and how they look forward to going riding, and and and all that.

I know some are tired of hearing this talk from me, but i have been fighting for fishing rights with my family for 5 generations here in San Diego, for over 120 years we have lived here in San diego, and we are losing fishing ground to people from NEW YORK that have a collage degree WTH,, no disrespect to anyone from NY or with a degree,,, have a nice day

you will also need a permit to have a fire in the desert this season. you can pick one up at the trading post in ocotillo on S2 and evan hewes hwy, they are free.

....thanks for running my life FED BLM GOV ASSES, I'd be lost without you! :baaasmiley:

Wow, what B.S :angry: .......thanks for the heads up Brad......

Brad the jeep club I belong to (SD4Wheelers) has worked for years to get devils canyon open. This is the best we can do at the time. Just the winter weekends, just permitted groups. That doesn’t mean you have to be in a group of 15. There can be several groups going through on the same day as long as the total number of vehicles for the day does not exceed 15. So there can be three groups of 5 or groups of 2 and 3 and 6 and 4 as long as the total number doesn’t exceed 15.

This is an improvement of closed no traffic at all! Is this the perfect answer? Heck no!!!! But it is a foot in the door. We will not stop in trying to get the area totally open. Remember sandwiches are eaten one bite at a time. This is only one bite of a long meal.

We are fighting a group of lawyers who use a front group (the center for biological diversity) to make money. Remember lawsuits are easy to file and the loser pays lawyer fees. Because it is so expensive to fight the government normally just rolls over instead of putting time effort and cash into contesting environmental lawsuits. They just pay the attorney fees and close the areas.

This just the first step to getting the area open, but we must use caution. The greenies will be looking for trash to photograph and for unpermitted groups traveling the trail and for and tracks going off of the trail. It’s a long fight and this is a small victory in that battle.

There is already a lot of trash down there under the freeway, that has been thrown from the bridge. Perhaps a good write up with lots of photos showing the jeep club and other volunteers cleaning up the area. An area that has finally been opened to allow access so the off road community can haul away all the trash that scumbags have thrown off the bridge on the way back from their sierra club meetings :lol: :lol: :lol: .

good idea ken :lol:

roger, good work if you were involved in getting the trail opened. i'm just venting because there is a lot of BS with the BLM for the last year or so with the last straw being them canceling our race that was planned back in january. Devil's canyon has a FREEWAY with non stop traffic 24/7/365 running 100ft parallel to it. You have to see how issuing a permit to drive your jeep in the ditch next to the freeway is amusing. To top off their sideways logic they are also enacting rediculous laws like no riding naked and no glass bottles in the middle of no where. permits for bonfires in the middle of a desert. They really have nothing useful to do. I'm sick of getting bent over every month to pay for this kind of shiit. ok, I feel better now, I'm going to get naked and have a glass bottle of beer and light a fire in my backyard where no one can harass me. :drinks:

Funny stuff. We are our own worst enemies though. Glass bottles in the middle of nowhere tend to show up in my foot in the middle of my somewhere. Riding naked....hmmmm....musta happened so they had to make it specifically illegal.

Didya know ya can't wear a strap on penis into an establishment that serves alcohol..? Cuz somebody musta done it. I wrote somebody a ticket for it while working Vice. Craziness.

First off. Trophy you told me that was “our” little secret! Now you put it up on the internet!

Brad I understand your frustration. This stuff has been going on since the 70s. Our club was going to go in with Terra del sol and build a toilet at four corners. But with all the red tape with the feds that doesn’t look like it will happen. If you look at the new kiosk at superstition you will see it was put in by the San Diego 4 wheelers. I personally have not had much to do with the devils canyon opening. Other people much smarter than me have been working on it. We have had clean up rides at 4 corners and superstition. We have not been on the devils canyon trail yet. When we do I’m sure they will look at that. Most of us carry bags for the trash we find on the trail anyway so we will see.

These agencies do have hearings about land use issues. The greeines bus in people to attend. They have lots of money to spend and access to people with too much time on their hands. Most of the off roaders are working people with families that can’t go out to these meetings in the desert in the middle of the week. So you can see what happens. Keep electing progressives and you will have much more of this.

A "free" permit for a fire? Remember when the adventure land pass was not required and it said on the back of the info packet that it was a "test of feepayer acceptance"? Soon you will be charged to camp at Ocotillo, OW and everywhere else. Opps I'm ranting, it won't do any good, we are screwed and every ranger is a gun toting peace officer.

Well at least there is something...

Who wants to try Devil's Canyon :girl_devil:

Well at least there is something...

Who wants to try Devil's Canyon :girl_devil:

yes, josh, lets get permits (or not) and go one day between christmas and new years like last year. Who else is in?

100_0327.jpg

100_0329.jpg

yes, josh, lets get permits and go one day between christmas and new years like before. Who else is in?

I am in. :D

yes, josh, lets get permits and go one day between christmas and new years like before. Who else is in?

I am in. :D

haha, lets get some permits. :cowboy: I'm sure that will be an adventure all its own. They will probably make some excuse why motorcycles aren't allowed. Or if they are allowed they will want to give you a lie detector test, cavity search and a light waterboarding you before you get your "permit". I'll email them about it and see what they want from us to get a permit.