DigDug

Anza To Idyllwild Ride

The weather man says it's supposed to cool down quite a bit this weekend, might be a good time to head on out. I was thinking about taking the big bike and poking around up north a bit. Maybe meet in Anza and ride up Bautista, over to Rouse Ridge and down to the ranger station. Up Bee Canyon and over to the Idyllwild area. From there, up Black Mountain road to check out some awesome views. Then back to Idyllwild for lunch/gas before backtracking the same general route but on a few different dirt roads.

I haven't done all of the roads, but the ones I have are all fairly mellow fire roads suitable for big bikes and beginners. Great views, and 90% dirt on the loop I'm looking at, but with plenty of pavement bail-outs if people get tired and/or late. I was thinking about just meeting in Anza since that puts us almost immediately in the dirt versus doing the whole loop from Ramona. Plus, that gets us up north earlier so we have more time to explore the mountains. I'd probably just slab/superslab it from home to Anza.

Right now Sunday is better for me, but if the majority want to go on Saturday, I could probably rearrange some details and do it then.

I've got some tracks I need to clean up and hopefully have something posted for people to look at.

------------Update Friday 8/27, 8:00am----------------

Ok, I've got the tracks pretty much all cleaned up. Garmin GPS file is here: LINK HERE

From below, here's a link to the routes in a google map: LINK HERE

Let's meet up at the Mobil Station in Anza and try and be riding by 8am. The Mobil is on the right as you're coming into town on Highway 371. It's the western-most gas station of the two in Anza from the GPS file above and right next to Dairy Queen. Here is a Google Maps/Streetview link of the meeting spot: LINK HERE

There is a short, dead-end street right next to the Mobil that people should be able to leave trucks at (I'm pretty sure it's cool to stage there) if you're not up to the iron-butt from San Diego. I'm going to just ride the 950 up there on pavement. (Boring 1 hour Interstate/back-road trip from Escondido).

The route, as planned, is about 75 miles to lunch/gas (can bail out prior to Black Mountain if gas is a concern) and about 50 miles from lunch/gas back to Anza.

That would be nice. Don't know anything about a Black Mtn road up that way. I might be in for this one.

That would be nice. Don't know anything about a Black Mtn road up that way. I might be in for this one.

I've driven up Black Mountain Road in the truck. Nothing hard, but great views along the way. It seems like there were a few 'side roads' to explore also.

It's still a work in progress (no Mapsource on my work computer), but for those thinking about it, this is what I'm thinking about:

LINK HERE

I am better for sunday since my b-day is saturday and we are also doing my kids b-day also with mine.

Saturday is out for me. Plans with daughter # 3, Tarrah, who will be celebrating her 21st B-Day.......Sunday is Jarrett's 19th B-Day, but he's stuck in Oklahoma for his Air Force training......so there's a slim chance you may see me if it shifts to Sunday.......but don't bank on it.......lot's of "to do's" around the house.....

Wish I could join you, I Love that area, but unfortunately I'm out for at least a couple weeks with what I hope is a "sprained" knee..have a blast and take lots of pics...

Have my son's second ride this Saturday, plus it's his B-Day too. Sounds like a good route. Unfortunately he's not ready for that much and I have to back by 2 anyway. Have fun.

Hmmm. This might work out for me. I might be up for Sunday since it is so close.

I'll be at Pala MX Friday btw if anyone wants to join me there.

I was thinking about just meeting in Anza since that puts us almost immediately in the dirt versus doing the whole loop from Ramona. Plus, that gets us up north earlier so we have more time to explore the mountains. I'd probably just slab/superslab it from home to Anza.

What time are you thinking of meeting in Anza?

I was thinking about just meeting in Anza since that puts us almost immediately in the dirt versus doing the whole loop from Ramona. Plus, that gets us up north earlier so we have more time to explore the mountains. I'd probably just slab/superslab it from home to Anza.

What time are you thinking of meeting in Anza?

I'd like to get a decent early start, but don't want to make anyone start too early if coming from south county. I'm thinking 8-ish...

And it seems that Sunday is the preferred day so far. I'll give it tonight and update the first post with a plan tomorrow.

Sunday it is. GPS file finalized and meeting time/location determined. See first post if you're interested.

If anyone wants to carpool with me out of Escondido let me know. I have a 4 door truck and can carry 5 bikes.

PS.Nobody can have time constraints that ride with me.

Doug what time do you think we would be back in Anza? And if it's late would I have an easy chance to bail early? I need to be back in Esco by 3.

Chris

This ride looks fun - you mentioned good beginner ride - mostly fire roads. Was wondering what is the total mileage as I may be limited by gas. Still breaking in the new bike and running the stock tank - not sure what my fuel range is - wouldn't want to be stranded my first time out :blush:. Also, how fast paced is this ride - don't want to rev the rpms too much during breakin (yeah, I know - but that's a different topic :D ) and I definitely don't want to hold anyone back - I can always catch the next one.....

Diane

This ride looks fun - you mentioned good beginner ride - mostly fire roads. Was wondering what is the total mileage as I may be limited by gas. Still breaking in the new bike and running the stock tank - not sure what my fuel range is - wouldn't want to be stranded my first time out :blush:. Also, how fast paced is this ride - don't want to rev the rpms too much during breakin (yeah, I know - but that's a different topic :D ) and I definitely don't want to hold anyone back - I can always catch the next one.....

Diane

The route, as planned, is about 75 miles to lunch/gas (can bail out prior to Black Mountain if gas is a concern) and about 50 miles from lunch/gas back to Anza.

Pace will be based on the riders that show, I'd say it's more about scenery and enjoying the day than about blasting. I'd call it moderate just to make sure we can get the miles in before the day gets too long.

Just spooned a new front (Tourance). Not as nice as the TKCs offroad, but new tires every 2.5k was getting ridiculous. I plan to be there on the GSA, I will be solo unless anyone wants to ride out from Poway/Escondido.

Just spooned a new front (Tourance). Not as nice as the TKCs offroad, but new tires every 2.5k was getting ridiculous. I plan to be there on the GSA, I will be solo unless anyone wants to ride out from Poway/Escondido.

I've run the tourance on my 1150 GSA before, and you'll love the mileage on the tire. I got 12K front and rear, but they have minimal performance off road.

I've run the tourance on my 1150 GSA before, and you'll love the mileage on the tire. I got 12K front and rear, but they have minimal performance off road.

MosDef...but 12k is better than 2.5

:)

Mike here, I rode with you guys on the last Anza trip. I took my helo landing pad off. At this time I plan to go on this ride. What freq do you use on youe radio? Later,

Mike here, I rode with you guys on the last Anza trip. I took my helo landing pad off. At this time I plan to go on this ride. What freq do you use on youe radio? Later,

I will have two radios on me. PM me for Freq