slagnado

Non-Spray Air filter cleaner recommendations

Can anyone recommend a non-spray air filter cleaner? A friend mentioned they work better than the spray, any thoughts are helpful.

I try to go with the one that "goes with" the oil you are using

NoToil cleaner ONLY works if you use their notoil

Uni cleaner is a spray

truth is... back in the day, I used motor oil... washed it in fresh motor oil until it was clean, then oiled it again... I NEVER had any dust caused engine problems...

maybe we are all so caught up in ...technol...o...gy... dammit... I'm turning in to zenosan :blush:

spray cleaner works fine with water flush.......gas or carb cleaner also work well in a pinch (not a *green* approach but effective)

K&N makes a great cleaner in a pump spray bottle (not aerosol) and flushes easily with cold tap water. Look for it in the automotive section with their air filter oil and cleaner re-charge kits. The cleaner can be bought separately without paying ridiculous motorcycle accessory costs. :blush:

My buddy Greg hipped me to the most pain free awesome solution I've yet to see. Bio degradable spray oil(I can go look at it in my garage if you want the specific brand I use), and a couple hour dunk in a shallow bucket of warm water and a cple scoops of oxyclean...Comes out like brand new. I actually do mine in the kitchen sink :blush:

My buddy Greg hipped me to the most pain free awesome solution I've yet to see. Bio degradable spray oil(I can go look at it in my garage if you want the specific brand I use), and a couple hour dunk in a shallow bucket of warm water and a cple scoops of oxyclean...Comes out like brand new. I actually do mine in the kitchen sink :blush:

Please that would be great. Thanks.

My buddy Greg hipped me to the most pain free awesome solution I've yet to see. Bio degradable spray oil(I can go look at it in my garage if you want the specific brand I use), and a couple hour dunk in a shallow bucket of warm water and a cple scoops of oxyclean...Comes out like brand new. I actually do mine in the kitchen sink :blink:

Please that would be great. Thanks.

WHen I worked on the M1030B1 we have a "special soultion" that was provided to us for cleaning the filters, we soaked them overnight and put them on a shelf to dry the next morning.

Oxyclean and bucket sounds good to me, if you worked it with your hands you could get it clean really fast. Then just use any filter oil. I like this idea!

i only use the maxima filter oil..i used the bottle before and just poke a small hole in the foil top of the bottle and sprinkle it on the filter then squeeze it to spread it out into the filter....then when cleaning i use a bucket with about 1.5-2 gallons of any cheap solvent like mineral spirits, i have found it at hardware stores on sale for as little as 99 cents per gallon before, and i rinse the filter thouroughly in that solvent, DO NOT wring it out, just compress it and pat it with a paper towel then wash it in a sink with dish soap and thouroughly rinse and let dry....if you are in a hurry you can wrap it in a towel and put it in the clothes dryer.

the good part about the bucket of solvent is that when you have finished you can put a lid on the bucket and reuse it many times...once it gets too dirty to keep useing, just put out on the side of your house in the sun with the lid off and it will evaporate fairly harmlessly, better than pouring into the soil, and when it dries out, just wipe out the dry dirt in the bottom of the bucket with and old shop towel or a couple paper towels and you are done....no oils to pour out onto the ground{which we would not do ofcourse} and no harmful ozone sprays :blink:

once i have wash a few filters in it and it is kinda dirty, i even use it as a dirty parts wash tub for greasy stuff before i let it dry out...

Twin Air Bio Liquid Power spray is the oil I use.

I use this also along with Twin Air bio filter cleaner which works in hot water. Was rather suprised how well it worked, I have always used just washing up liquid to clean filters but this stuff does a much better job, after 10+ cleanings of quite dirty filter it still looks like new. Not cheap though but certainly does a great job.

I use rubber gloves and a small bucket of bio-diesel you can buy from Pearson Fuel at 40th and ECB. Dip in, pull out nearly clean. Then Simple Green and hot water to finish.

I no longer use no-toil products. Environmentally safe is good, but effective is even better.

I use rubber gloves and a small bucket of bio-diesel you can buy from Pearson Fuel at 40th and ECB. Dip in, pull out nearly clean. Then Simple Green and hot water to finish.

I no longer use no-toil products. Environmentally safe is good, but effective is even better.

yeah fakey, i was NOT happy with the not-oil/no-toil stuff. i am all for bio-degradable, non-toxic, and environmentally safe, but it MUST work in the long run.

like you i use a reusable bucket of some solvent, but i love the idea of the bio-diesel...thanx fakey...btw...those were some fancy looking eye glasses ;)

yeah fakey, i was NOT happy with the not-oil/no-toil stuff. i am all for bio-degradable, non-toxic, and environmentally safe, but it MUST work in the long run.

like you i use a reusable bucket of some solvent, but i love the idea of the bio-diesel...thanx fakey...btw...those were some fancy looking eye glasses ;)

What do you guys find to be bad with no-toil? I have used it extensively with seemingly no dirt intrusion.

Looks like honda rebrands it: http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/product/...atalogId=110584

i have had the opposite. i have seen dirt in my air box past the filter. i rode a bunch of watery rides, stream crossings and stuff, and i could visibly see that some of the solution had run down to the bottom of the filter leaving the top a good bit dryer{or is it drier?}

i have had by FAR the best success with the maxima filter oil. i used to prefer the bottle and just poke a small hole in the foil top and dribble the whole filter then while wearing rubber gloves gently squeeze the filter until it is unformly blueish green....but now i like the spray can of the maxima stuff...it spreads more evenly without squeezing the filter element...but the bottle is fine if you dont want to use a proppelant spray can.

if someone else is having good success with no toil...then keep using it by all means....but...in the late 90's i think it was, when it first came out, they came to me at a race and gave me a bunch of it to try and then review for them and run their stickers and stuff....i used it for a month or so, and went back to buying my maxima stuff. i had more wear on my nicoseal cylinder with that piston set i was using during the no toil trial than previously and after with the maxima....just my own personal observation though....remeber...i am not the sharpest tool in the shed ;)

my riding buddy and I would always use fresh air filters before doing 100 mile desert rides. We both have the same bike. I use maxima oil and he uses no-toil. After the rides we would compare filters. Mine would always be MUCH dirtier. This is not scientific evidence but it sure seemed like my filters were catching ALOT more dirt.

I have recently started using maxima pre oiled air filters as well. They cost 9$ pre oiled with maxima oil. Hard to beat.

gas or diesel work extremely well for cleaning the filters. Most all of the canned cleaners are petroleum based and are harmful for the earth. The no toil is better in that regard.

check this video out

cheap cleaning

dezXer...nice side by side comparioson. more dirt on the filter=less inside the intake....apples to apples comparison...or is it orange to orange ;)

Maxima- application by placing the clean filter in a heavy-duty ziploc plastic bag and dumping a fair amount of filter oil inside. Squish it around inside the bag. Once it's thoroughly soaked, give it a final good squeeze to get the excess out. Remove from bag and continue with procedure.

Save the bag and it's contents for the next filter.

Oh- www.eyeexclusive.com < my buddy Edgar.

Non Spray Cleaner Recommendation: GASOLINE.

I don't know that no toil is any better or worse for catching dirt. It was just my observation that my filters were way dirtier. Maybe I was using more oil than him, or it could be more wide open throttle that did it, I don't know.

If someone wants to donate some no-toil, I will take an air boot out of one of my bikes, hook it up to my shop vac and do a test using both types of oil. same amount of oils, same amount of dirt, same filters and see what happens.

dezXer...nice side by side comparioson. more dirt on the filter=less inside the intake....apples to apples comparison...or is it orange to orange ;)

Could be any number of things. Apples to oranges I say.

- Were both pre-oiled filters pre-oiled to the same degree?

- Did both riders encounter the same amount of dust (Was Brad's friend in the front, or way in the back. Or was Brad stuck to the leader's back tire the entire race, trying to take over the lead?)

- Does Brad ride a Big Bore (sucks more air=more dust) and his buddy a smaller bore?

- Like Brad already said - Does he ride with a heavy throttle hand, where his buddy finesses it and uses torque more?

- Did one rider open their airbox and put fatter jetting in (again more air).

- Any other number of differences... far from a scientific study...

I use Notoil and never noticed any sings of any type of deposits/dust behind the filter then I changed it...finger test over black surface, like you do on funiture for dust.

I soak mine in HOT soapy water (Dawn, Tide or a combo of them both) until you can work the filter in the bucket with your hands. When clean rinse out with the hose. Dry overnight. I use spray oil or pj1 bottle. But motor oil does work just fine. I do the same for K&N filters but you must use gauze element oil not foam element oil. When I was a kid I had to mix my RM370 fuel with good ole 30wt a few times and it would run all weekend and never foul a plug. My Moto "run what ya brung"

may not be scientific...but it is the same results that i had...on the same bike...with the same jetting....with the same riding style...on the same tracks....during the same riding season.....and since it was ME racing, NEVER in the lead, always in dust ;)

your results may vary, as seen on TV, not packaged for resale, copyrights reserved....

as i stated earlier.......run what you want, "if you are having success, by all means keep running it"....and..."this is just my own personal observations...im not the sharpest tool in the shed..etc.."

my personsal results are...i will NOT be running no-toil in my expensive to rebuild KTM....

may not be scientific...but it is the same results that i had...on the same bike...with the same jetting....with the same riding style...on the same tracks....during the same riding season.....and since it was ME racing, NEVER in the lead, always in dust ;)

your results may vary, as seen on TV, not packaged for resale, copyrights reserved....

as i stated earlier.......run what you want, "if you are having success, by all means keep running it"....and..."this is just my own personal observations...im not the sharpest tool in the shed..etc.."

my personsal results are...i will NOT be running no-toil in my expensive to rebuild KTM....

You are getting me concerned about my bike ;)

When were you running the No-Toil?

My main reason for using No-Toil is that I live in an apartment and it is really nice to be able to clean it in the sink, but if the bike suffers from the "not-oil" I will look into getting a better filter oil.

i started running in the late 1990's

Im not saying if you run no toil you will just blow up a motor

alot of people seem to love it, I PERSONALLY have seen enough of a difference in it that i wont run it.

having to have a small bucket of solvent that i rinse out the maxima first, then go to a sink and wash it with detergent and warn water is not a big deal to me in the interest of longevity.

again..what do i know...im a dumb drywall hanger not a factory mechanic or a scientist