dirt dame

DSfox takes her new EXC on it's maiden voyage

So....DSfox wanted to give her brand new used KTM a shakedown ride, and I went along for the ride. :)

We met in Ramona and headed out for various pavements and dirt roads (with the usual ice cream stop along the way). It looked to me like Deb was having fun on her new machine while getting acclimated to it. 450s are the perfect sized machines for this type of riding; light enough for the trail work and big enough for the back highways. Since we got sort of a late start, we couldn't do everything that I had in mind. I always have too many ideas about where to go in the course of a day. ;) But we got enough miles under our belts to be satisfied with our back country adventure. We saw some people that I knew while we were in Pine Valley....and we met some new people as well.

Here are some pics.

Moseying through the woods.

100_0752.jpg

I love how the creeks are still running. It just hardly seemed like June today.

100_0753.jpg

DS and her new ride.

100_0754.jpg

Last weekend was downright hot. This weekend was not.

100_0757.jpg

100_0758.jpg

100_0759.jpg

Aahhh, a vision of loveliness.... :party:

100_0762.jpg

Deb works a little incline.

100_0765.jpg

I love how the flowers filled in the area where the water had last been in this creek bed.

100_0766.jpg

100_0769.jpg

100_0771.jpg

Hey, I know they are white boots, but Zenosan, you should like this shot of my vintage Hi-point GP boots. ;)

Boy, were they ever comfortable. I wish they made boots like these or the Victory model again.

100_0773.jpg

Enjoyed the photos ladies. Hope the KTM works out for you Deb.

HI Points-yearly dose of Lexol or Neads Foot oil and they are good for life. Love my 6 pairs (all black though, white is definitely feminine). ;)

wow that is clean Kato!! nice best of riding with the new bike. DD you all ready know my take on Huskys!!

Still a lot of color out.....very nice. I've seen the KTM.....it's damn near showroom....I'm not sure the PO ever took it in the dirt in his 2200 miles.

Thx for the write up and pics.

Great pics. Looks like that bike will be a match made in heaven for you Deb.

Had a Nice Ride on New bike, Beautiful Day out there, Logged 150 miles,a good ride day .Thanks for Leading mimi...Nice pics as always....I've Never riden Thing Valley before....always fun to try new areas.

Of course the bike review is AWESOME..and I Love It ...Double your horsepower, and 30 pounds less bike to muscle around, when necessary ....can't beat that....I Love my klx250, I love my plated 2 stroke, and Now I love the 450 too...just depends where you're headed, and what kind of riding...

Favorite Points so far : Love the power ( and that You can just HEAR and FEEL it)...cruises the road at 60 or climbs gravel and rocky dirt roads effortlessly...Love the Weight....(I'll especially love this when I have to pick it up....didn't have to do that today)..Love the reputation : there must be a reason why about 80% of the desert dash riders [+ other dual sport rides] have KTM'S, and I hear the RFS engine is a good one too...

On a sidenote: stopped at All American KTM in Ramona to buy oil filters for a change this week..They saw the bike and said "You Scored, there's only 30 hours TOTAL on it...It's like a New Bike!".....Sweet.

A Couple Comments/Fixes: 1. Order SOFT foam for seat (I decided 150 miles is TOO FAR on the KTM plank seat..trimmed down, or stock....Ride less? I think NOT so must fix that...) 2. Adjust Suspension - too stiff for my size 3. Little Tall for the 29" inseam...customize new seat, lower sag a little......( will I spend several hundred for a spacer install to drop an inch or two?...probably not...just get better on it...)

Heres some pics:

P6120035.jpg

P6120036.jpg

P6120043.jpg

P6120037.jpg

P6120042.jpg

Wow!! That looks like a terrific place to ride. I would love to ride there sometime. I don't have GPS, but I'd love to know the details of where you rode. Great pictues. :) Maybe I shoud take a look at the KTM 450, I was thinking about the DRZ400, more investigation needed.

Great pics Deb & Mimi. It was a beautiful day, thats for sure. And I can't believe how green it still is. Guess the "Browning of Summer" hasn't quite hit just yet. Love the fact that you're riding a KTM too now =)

If I didn't know better it looks like you guys where riding at big bear, beautifull photos!

I also would like to know where that trails is, from one of the photos it looks like mt. laguna?

If I didn't know better it looks like you guys where riding at big bear, beautifull photos!

I also would like to know where that trails is, from one of the photos it looks like mt. laguna?

Yes, it was all Mt. Laguna.

Yes, it was all Mt. Laguna.

Hi, nice write up. Can you tell us where exactly the trail starts off of Sunrise Highway?

The trails that we took can be accessed from the Sunrise Highway and should be on a map of the area. Thing Valley Road is one, and Deer Park road is another. Together, these make up part of a nice loop.