03 625 sxc, last resort post

bike suddenly just died on me in the middle of the road and when i started it, it wouldnt idle off choke, so i thought carb clean, again. only thing i noticed was dirt was under the diaphragm, it was bad, like solid dirt, this was after 2 off road rides, had it professionally cleaned before. so i cleaned everything , put it back together and still will not start.....so i vigorously cleaned again everything and then some.....started once on choke but as soon as i closed the choke it died.....

1. checked fuel flow

2. put newish gas in

3. drained float bowl

4. screwed idle screw in a turn(it has never been touched for awhile)

i checked the diaphragm and slide, the slide has slight wear but not much to cause concern, might just replace it to be safe.

i have just ran out of patience with this bike. any ideas.

Is there a fuel filter in the system? Did you check for water in the gas tank?

With choke on how long will it run? and will it rev up ok? If runs on choke circuit then I believe then its bypassing the pilot, with choke off then fuel goes though the pilot circuit. Maybe the pilot, did you pull it and check it?

With choke on how long will it run? and will it rev up ok? If runs on choke circuit then I believe then its bypassing the pilot, with choke off then fuel goes though the pilot circuit. Maybe the pilot, did you pull it and check it?

+ 1

Real possibility if the tank is dirty.

it may sound slightly off the track here, but you might check the valves for proper lash...my 620 would stall like a lean pop then not restart for 20 minutes until i adjusted the valves..they were tight.

it is pretty easy and free to check...worth a look.

more likely it is the pilot jet...they can look clean but still not work right...very tight tolerances

Sounds like the old Spark, Air & Fuel scenario

Just out of curiosity, what are the symptoms of a blown head gasket..

Sounds like the old Spark, Air & Fuel scenario

Just out of curiosity, what are the symptoms of a blown head gasket..

It is a wooshing hissing sound, really obvious on air cooled engines. Water cooled will show air bubbles in the cooling system.

a rapid farting sound like pft pft pft pft, coolant in the oil {but that is ususlly just a waterpump seal} but the easiest way to check for a head gasket leak is a chemical test kit for exahst gasses in your coolant...simple test, just take a sampple of your coolant and use the chemical from the test kit the same way you would test pool chems...if it turns the wrong color...tear it down...right color...ride it like you stole it B)

In case anyone is curious how we did it in the day-

Vingtage Husqvarnas didn't use head gaskets. None of my old Huskys have head gaskets. The factory manual prescribes lapping the head onto the cylinder with valve grinding compound. I never used a head gasket on a Husky. Still don't. They don't leak!

Ok- so you are getting dirt in the carb...no matter how clean you THINK you are getting it, just replace at least the pilot...then find the source of the dirt...

Do you know how to check the valves? That is something that is going on at Schwinns I hear this weekend

if your getting that much dirt in the carb you better check if you air filter is set correctly, or see if the carb boot is loose, or if there is an open port on the carb possibly from one of the smog hose connections into the side of the carb body. you gotta find the source of the dirt

if your getting that much dirt in the carb you better check if you air filter is set correctly, or see if the carb boot is loose, or if there is an open port on the carb possibly from one of the smog hose connections into the side of the carb body. you gotta find the source of the dirt

yea i have noticed lately a very fine dirt film in the boot between the carb and filter, going to check boot for holes or cracks,, and i am going to put those little uni filters on the ends of the 2 vent lines coming out.

Ok- so you are getting dirt in the carb...no matter how clean you THINK you are getting it, just replace at least the pilot...then find the source of the dirt...

Do you know how to check the valves? That is something that is going on at Schwinns I hear this weekend

i have the bigger pilot, i think a 45? i will throw that in there and see what it does and i did check the valves about 1k ago. i will check again.

well right after it died, i got it restarted and it made it back to my house about 2 miles away. i think after all replies here and ktmtalk im going to replace the pilot and put little uni filters on vent lines, thanks

for some reasons KTMs are known for the air filter cage not getting seated in the boot. i have been servicing my own bikes and friends bikes for 40 years and i have done it myself where the cage doesnt properly interlock with the boot.

another thing i have learned, if you dont already know this trick, {you probably do} is to put a nice layer of white lithium soap based grease on the flange of the filter to help seal the filter.

the lithium soap based grease is soap and water soluable to some extent so it cleans up easier.

Maybe you could swap out the tank and carb with someone that has a good running bike and try it. The parts changer mentality of diagonosis could be used to eliminate those items.

for some reasons KTMs are known for the air filter cage not getting seated in the boot. i have been servicing my own bikes and friends bikes for 40 years and i have done it myself where the cage doesnt properly interlock with the boot.

another thing i have learned, if you dont already know this trick, {you probably do} is to put a nice layer of white lithium soap based grease on the flange of the filter to help seal the filter.

the lithium soap based grease is soap and water soluable to some extent so it cleans up easier.

i did not know that, i have always been told a little grease but its just messy, but it does stay there forever. i usually just take my spray oil and spray a nice thick line around the edge. i will try it thanks.

Maybe you could swap out the tank and carb with someone that has a good running bike and try it. The parts changer mentality of diagonosis could be used to eliminate those items.

i just got back from glamis(beautiful weather out there) and was staring at my yfz450 and was thinking about stealing the carb off it cause i think its the FCR, and swap it on and see what it does. im going to swap out the idle jet and inspect the diapragm alot closer and go from there.

i did not know that, i have always been told a little grease but its just messy, but it does stay there forever. i usually just take my spray oil and spray a nice thick line around the edge. i will try it thanks.

it is VERY messy even with the lithium grease, but i will take messy and sealed over clean and blown up

:D

put the bigger pilot in and it fired right up on e start but would idle at like 100rpm, and i slowly rolled on the throttle and it died, did that 2 times so i uped the idle screw about 2 turns and it wouldnt start anymore. something is clogged somewhere im assuming? might be going in for a professional cleaning.

it sorta started today, so i let it warm up a bit and when on choke it was idling normal, not high like its on choke and when i took the choke off it dropped down to a low blub idle but i could give it throttle this time, so i rolled on the throttle but probably half throttle it sounded like it had a rev limiter, so that means its running out of fuel, right?

it sorta started today, so i let it warm up a bit and when on choke it was idling normal, not high like its on choke and when i took the choke off it dropped down to a low blub idle but i could give it throttle this time, so i rolled on the throttle but probably half throttle it sounded like it had a rev limiter, so that means its running out of fuel, right?

Did you check the main jet? Also try Sea Foam cleaner, you add right to the fuel and for me its been like magic. It comes it a spray to but you want the can you add to the tank. Napa Auto or most others have it.

have you read the plug?

have you read the plug?

he is not in advertising bikeslut...psssh read the plug...he doesnt work in radio