TrophyHunter

Wil it or won't it....

CDI ? replace w/ carb and get tuneup :)

(joking que laugh track)

joliet is right...btw, my bad. i was thinking you guys were saying to put your good cdi on wil's bike which could be dangerous. but to put his cdi on a good running bike and ride that around to see if it cuts out would be safe.

good call joliet....i am humbled :)

wrote a whole response and then re-read your post Good Ken. Ahhhhhhh.

Now...will a bad CDI hurt a functioning bike? Mine is in pieces and unridable so I can't be the tester anyway, but still a question I have.

No, I can't think of any other component a bad CDI unit will hurt. I would hook one up to any of my bikes for testing without hesitation, but I am not very bright :) . Ken

yeah i cant think of anythink it would hurt putting a potentially bad cdi on a good running bike. power goes into the cdi the straight to the coils then plug... it is not routed thru any lighting, charging, or starting circuitry.

whereas putting a good cdi on a bike that a shorting out issue or a bad rectifier, or regulator that could allow a short or an over charge situation to burn up a good cdi would be the dangerous way to go....

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...We'll see what happens...

And especially thanks to Ken, TrophyHunter. He invited me over to HIS house to help me work on MY bike. It was a huge thing for him to do, and I'm really thankful that he did it. He even drove me over to Motorworld to get some new sparkplugs...

Maybe I should buy him some doughnuts? :lol: But seriously, Thanks so much Ken, you fixed alot that day, Now I have to figure out what the heck is still wrong. One thing is for sure, I'm gonna need several of the, "son of a b*tch" tools to throw across the garage.

Maybe I should buy him some doughnuts? :lol:

We've progressed Wil.... Bagels, man, bagels. :lol:

I think I fixed it...

I found a lose wire going into the CDI, and connected it, and then when I checked the fuel flow, I found a problem...

Fuel running out of the tank great, into the hose, out of the hose fine...but not out of the flood bowl?

Turns out the stock DR650 fuel filter was causing too little fuel to get into the flood bowl, heat up the mesh material in the filter, expands which makes the holes even smaller, and the bike shuts off. We have a new filter in the fuel line now, problem seems to be solved. Bike is amazing with ALOT of lower end grunt now, probably thanks to the adjustments that Ken did.

Time for a test ride...Survived the 5 mile neighborhood route and trip to gas station...no problems at all!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm just crossing my eyes!

That's great if it's done. Def needed the valves, new plugs anyway so glad that got done. Just happy to see it back on the road. :lol:

Yeah, I agree Ken- you deserve a green star (that was the color on my blackberry) :lol:

Seriously- you're The Man, for taking scofflaw under your wing and showing him some basics on maintaining his bike- he'll remember that forever (not exagerrating...I can remember things from when I was 16...)

Wil- remember him on your first podium

Wil's a bright guy and did everything on this deal 'cept the valve adj. We PM'd back & forth about stuff, things like the little white micro filter in the fuel inlet (most don't know it's there - I just read the ADV thread a lot). Wil jumped right in and wrenched away.

Thx for the star, Blind. First star from a Slut, too.

Well, Just got back from a 75 mile ride with 10 mile dirt section...Bike is still running great. Probelm seems to be fixed. Lots more power now, idles cleaner, sounds like it's breathing better, deeper noise in the lower RPMs, more thumper-ness to it...yes it's a word.

Seriously- you're The Man, for taking scofflaw under your wing and showing him some basics on maintaining his bike- he'll remember that forever (not exagerrating...I can remember things from when I was 16...)

I remember almost the same lesson from when I was 16. I grew up in St louis and had a boat with a 40 hp outboard I had just rebuilt. We headed up the Mississippi river for a day of skiing but struggled most of the day with the engine stalling out when we opened the throttle. My boss and mentor was along and in his own boat. He finally asked me what were all the things I replaced. I ran down a lengthy list and at the end he asked what about the fuel filter? I said it look fine and didn't need one. He walked over to the engine, unscrewed the filter bowl, removed the filter element and put the bowl back without the filter. Got in the boat started it up and took off like a bat out of hell leaving my friends and I speachless. Still remember how stupid I felt on that sand bar beach 50 years ago. :lol:

Great news Wil...!!!!!!

You probably know your bike better than most here. You've def passed me on the carb and chasing electrical. The lower sound and better breathing is prolly due to us yankin' your snorkle (hmmm that doesn't sound right). I yanked my own (why not) a while back and the buttdyno (could this get any worse) registered an improvement.

Enjoy, my brethren.

nice job guys, both of your efforts payed off. glad it is working better wil, now we need to get out and crack a throttle.

" i love it when a plan comes together" :good: