Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

SDAR to Adopt Trails in SD County ?

I would like SDAR, as a club, to adopt some trails for maintenance to help keep them open and also help educate people on riding responsibly and presenting a positive public image as off-roaders.

I am thinking a trail in Corral Canyon, and maybe some other trails in the National Forest.

I can't do this alone, it has to be teamwork and SDAR needs volunteers to commit to helping over the course of the year.

So, who is interested ? I hope we can get a good number of people to commit.

First we need people to commit, then it will take some time to contact the land agencies and get everything in place. If anyone wants to help with the relations with Cleveland National Forest and BLM, let me know. I already have the contacts, but could possibly use some help setting things up.

Thanks,

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I can help too. Set a date .

I'm partial to continuing with the BLM on Otay Mountain, since we've already hauled 140 lbs of trash out of there and the roads are in pretty good shape due in some part to our efforts. Also we need to look realistically at areas we can frequent. A number of us live near Otay Mountain. So far though we have not officially adopted it. The BLM seems to favor low-key efforts to the point of not wanting to sanction even a clean-up day.

The other road that comes to mind is Carveacre (FS), but it is near spotless already. A few six-packs show up on it now and then.

(...of course my suggestions are really only for trash, not so much maintenance. I think the biggest bang for the buck would be an effort in Corral Canyon as Randy suggests, though we know who would end up doing the bulk of the work out there --> Carguy)

I'm in, and already have a working relationship with USFS OHV manager in my area.

sandiegoland Posted Today, 03:13 PM (...of course my suggestions are really only for trash, not so much maintenance. I think the biggest bang for the buck would be an effort in Corral Canyon as Randy suggests, though we know who would end up doing the bulk of the work out there --> Carguy)

And I don't mind working to keep our trails open, as many who already chimed in.

Let me know what I can do. Ken

DRZs on trash patrol. Otay Mountain, 10/8/06. Note Joliet's rustic manly burlap trash bags... :P

Posted Image

As seen on the SDAR's Frontpage... and you guys thought those bags were his lunch! :huh:

Posted Image

We seem to have about 8 of the regular members offering to volunteer with trail adoption.

I have already started the ball rolling.

We need a contract with USFS on what we will actually do, like; pickup litter once every two months, reduce erosion by 15%, trim vegetation bi-annually ect.

Everone that will be volunteering will need to fill out a volunteer agreement like we did before with Corral Canyon repairs.

What do we want to do?

How often do we want to do it?

Be realistic, it will take more than just a few of us. Lets not commit to some thing we can't do. The SDAR name rides on it. We will be the first motorcycle group to adopt trails in Cleveland National Forest.

This is a big step for the club, ready to step up?

I have already proposed to adopt Kernan Cycle Trail from Morena Stokes to 4 corners.

I just need to press send to make it official. Awaiting, imput. :D

We need a contract with USFS on what we will actually do, like; pickup litter once every two months, reduce erosion by 15%, trim vegetation bi-annually ect.

What do we want to do?

How often do we want to do it?

Be realistic, it will take more than just a few of us. Lets not commit to some thing we can't do.

We cant really answer until we know what expected of us! You are the SEE bee, you would know what tools/equipment is going to be necessary to do what jobs. I dont have a bobcat with a grader or brush attachment. I do have a big 4x4 to carry crap to and away from the trail! Are these trails accessible with a vehicle? Who judges if we do or dont reduce erosion?

This is a big step for the club, ready to step up?

Born Ready!!

I have already proposed to adopt Kernan Cycle Trail from Morena Stokes to 4 corners.

Nothing availabe in Coastal North County?

Carguy...John, thanks a lot for taking charge !!

Since this will take a commitment by quite a few people, I say the commitment starts out small.

Add your input on this.....opinions, chime in here....

How about trimming vegetation and cleaning up that trail Bi-Annually to start....and if it all works out, we volunteer to do more and more often.

I'd like SDAR to help do trail maintenance, like erosion protection also.....but that requires more work and more commitment.

How's that sound ?? I'm willing to do more if people want to commit to more.

Once we volunteer one thing, I'm sure it won't be difficult to do more without a lot of approval from CNF.

Carguy...John, thanks a lot for taking charge !!

Since this will take a commitment by quite a few people, I say the commitment starts out small.

Add your input on this.....opinions, chime in here....

How about trimming vegetation and cleaning up that trail Bi-Annually to start....and if it all works out, we volunteer to do more and more often.

I'd like SDAR to help do trail maintenance, like erosion protection also.....but that requires more work and more commitment.

How's that sound ?? I'm willing to do more if people want to commit to more.

Once we volunteer one thing, I'm sure it won't be difficult to do more without a lot of approval from CNF.

Sounds good to me.

The plan begins, Input/opinions? :D

How about trimming vegetation and cleaning up that trail Bi-Annually to start....and if it all works out, we volunteer to do more and more often...

The plan begins, Input/opinions? :D

Sounds reasonable. Note that even a bi-annual commitment may mean 4 or more works days to get everyone scheduled in who wants to help.

Sounds reasonable. Note that even a bi-annual commitment may mean 4 or more works days to get everyone scheduled in who wants to help.

???? Bi-annual means twice a year. Don't know what you mean exactly. If you mean we'll need more than 2 actual days to accomodate all the people who might want to volunteer, than I'm sure we'll either be able to schedule more days.....or put them to work on the same day doing something else, like erosion control.

Maybe something we'll have to find out from the Ranger at CNF.

...If you mean we'll need more than 2 actual days to accomodate all the people who might want to volunteer, than I'm sure we'll either be able to schedule more days.....or put them to work on the same day doing something else, like erosion control...

I am sure we could use everyone that shows up. There will be a lot of growth to clear for sure.

I mean that if you have 12 people for example... not all will be able to make it on any one particular day...

That was our experience at Corral Canyon at least.

I mean that if you have 12 people for example... not all will be able to make it on any one particular day...

That was our experience at Corral Canyon at least.

Ahhh....well, hopefully we'll be able to schedule weeks in advance so people can commit to a date.

Will that work for everyone ??

Works for me.

Sounds like we could work the trails during the day collecting firewood for the campfire that night.

Cheers

Outstanding!

Here is some info on my contact with USFS;

name='bikeslut' date='Mar 13 2007, 09:24 AM' post='6086']

As Troutte (Mike) was a bit tired, I coasted his bike down and tried to bump it... it finally started, so i gave a couple "beeps" so the guys knew it was started, then motored up to the road intersection, where I met Richard Tull... Ranger Rich on this forum... he and a buddy were adding signage up at 4 corners... they had seen the 2 bikes up at a switchback, and decided they would hang out and make sure everything was OK. Good guy to have around.

Rich also mentioned about SDAR and us adopting a trail, and he told us how much he appreciates "off-roaders like" us...So at least we have one person on our side!

I will commit to the adoption of the trail, Kernan Cycle Trail, from Morena Stokes to 4 Corners. We will pledge to remove litter and trim vegetation as needed bi-annualy. First date TBD. Stay Tuned. :ph34r:

Our offer made.

I will commit to the adoption of the trail, Kernan Cycle Trail, from Morena Stokes to 4 Corners. We will pledge to remove litter and trim vegetation as needed bi-annualy. First date TBD. Stay Tuned. :ph34r:

Fantastic !! Thanks John. B)

Outstanding!

Our offer made.

This is just like being a kid again, riding motorcycles, pulling weeds, picking up trash, I am having Montana ranch flashbacks. Can't wait to get started. Ken