Strega

Painting a bike...

This may come as a shock to some of you...bike I am physically unable to ride a bike that is flowing with color. Therefore, it is time for me to paint the 620. (Flat black)

Anyone ever painted a bike before? I've done some crappy touch up work on a front fender, etc, but never really pulled ALL the plastic off, removed stickers, primer, paint, maybe a lil cool design in the front fairing, etc.

If you've had experience with this from start to finish, I'd love to get some advice. I'm about ready to start this project.

Thanks!

I have painted the fiberglass bodywork that I use on my SBK racing bikes. it is really easy.

As for stock bodywork I have done the following.

-Use a cheap hair dryer and head the edge of the stickers, pull the up slowly keeping them under heat.

-Once they are all off,use a solvent of chemical like "GooGone" to remove the residual stickieness.

-Sand completely with a medium grit sand paper (150ish workswell)

-Prime

-Sand with a low grit sand paper (500) just to rough it a little

-Paint

-Gloss/seal if needed.

Another route is to just use the Krylon palstic bonding paint. My buddy did this to his sun damaged LC4 several years ago and it still looks good. Then again he doesn't fall often or get in any difficult terrain.

...he doesn't fall often or get in any difficult terrain...

I do both of those things on a regular basis. :huh:

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I take a ton of before and after pics of this project, and hopefully I don't completely screw up the custom design idea I have for the front fairing!

This may come as a shock to some of you...bike I am physically unable to ride a bike that is NOT flowing with color. Therefore, it is time for me to paint the 620. (ANY COLOR BUT Flat black)

Anyone ever painted a bike before? I do some crappy work on a table dance, etc, but never really pulled all my clothes off, removed stickers, primer, paint, maybe a lil cool design in the front fairing, etc.

If you've had experience with this from start to finish, I'd love to get some advice. I'm about ready to start this project.

Thanks!

What? :o

It`s all about preparation. Here is a Fender guitar I painted with lacquer, about 8 coats of sanding primer, 6 coats of color and 12 coats of clear. Then it was lots of elbow grease, sanding and polishing. Painting flat black will be a lot easier but you still have to prep and keep things clean.

post-7075-1272357576_thumb.jpg

Last time I had my 750 Ninja painted, I paid to have it done. The $400 I paid was worth it....no prep work, no mess, no screwed-up paint issues, etc.

Shop around and get some estimates 1st, then all you'll need to is pull it off, take it in, have it painted, and slap it back on.

I got a full acerbis set for my DRZ for about $120... in your favorite color

it was SO cheap and easy, I am considering buying another set rather than washing it

Last time I had my 750 Ninja painted, I paid to have it done. The $400 I paid was worth it....no prep work, no mess, no screwed-up paint issues, etc.

Shop around and get some estimates 1st, then all you'll need to is pull it off, take it in, have it painted, and slap it back on.

Where is the fun in that?

I have painted the fiberglass bodywork that I use on my SBK racing bikes. it is really easy.

As for stock bodywork I have done the following.

-Use a cheap hair dryer and head the edge of the stickers, pull the up slowly keeping them under heat.

-Once they are all off,use a solvent of chemical like "GooGone" to remove the residual stickieness.

-Sand completely with a medium grit sand paper (150ish workswell)

-Prime

-Sand with a low grit sand paper (500) just to rough it a little

-Paint

-Gloss/seal if needed.

Another route is to just use the Krylon palstic bonding paint. My buddy did this to his sun damaged LC4 several years ago and it still looks good. Then again he doesn't fall often or get in any difficult terrain.

So how much pizza and beer do you need to help with my 620? <_<

Then again he doesn't fall often or get in any difficult terrain.

So how much pizza and beer do you need to help with my 620? :angry:

Strega... read the WHOLE quote... he doesn't fall often... it'll get ruined on your first ride <_<

Strega... read the WHOLE quote... he doesn't fall often... it'll get ruined on your first ride <_<

Have I ever told you I liked you?

:angry:

Strega, During the LoCal250 Joliet and I observed a BMW R1200RT rider that had taken all of his plastics off his street bike and had them painted with "Rhino Lining" All of the fairings, fenders and everthing that had color was now your favorite color, black, with texture. It must have added some weight to his ride, "5 mills thick" but it looked seriously armoured and scuff proof, bullet proof too, actually it was kind of cool. Just another option.

I'm lobbying for the bedliner look. If it works on your bike, I'll paint my giant tank.

The guy that came in 4th in the Low Cal 250, took all his plastics (fiberglass) down and had them Rinolined in black.

I'm lobbying for the bedliner look. If it works on your bike, I'll paint my giant tank.

I don't think anything sticks very well to plastic tanks... they all "breathe" gas vapors through the plastic

but I could be wrong...

Strega, During the LoCal250 Joliet and I observed a BMW R1200RT rider that had taken all of his plastics off his street bike and had them painted with "Rhino Lining" All of the fairings, fenders and everthing that had color was now your favorite color, black, with texture. It must have added some weight to his ride, "5 mills thick" but it looked seriously armoured and scuff proof, bullet proof too, actually it was kind of cool. Just another option.

Prolly DupliColor truck bed coating. I could add 3 lbs of paint and not eat for 3 days and I'd be even weight on the bike again...

Yeah, I'd try the duplicolor. I had my truck done with Line-X that stuff is THICK. And Heavy.

So how much pizza and beer do you need to help with my 620? :unsure:

Give me enough pizza and beer and I become an expert on anything! Just ask my wife!

Prolly DupliColor truck bed coating. I could add 3 lbs of paint and not eat for 3 days and I'd be even weight on the bike again...

The Duplicolor option is what Trice-pilot did to his KLR from "The Mistress'" post. I liked it alot and was all set to do my old XRL in the same fashion before moving to the DRZ