Sign in to follow this  
xr650lnoob

hello

Hi All,

I've been riding street/track for sometime now and was itching to get into some dual sport action. I got this opportunity when i saw a great deal a plated 2003 XR650L. I bought it last friday and can't wait to explore the trails. I was actually interested in the DRZ400S, but could not pass up the deal i got on the XR650L. A bit tall for me, but manageable.

I'll post pics when i get the bike out of the shop where it's getting an overall inspection done. The bikes got 21000 miles on it so just wanted to make sure everything looks good.

I've been looking for dirt gear so i can ride this saturday since i only have full leathers and track boots right now.

Any trails you can recommend to get my feet wet?

I know all the local street routes (lyons, highland valley, old julian, sunrise, palomar, montezuma etc.), but have no clue how to get on a trail route.

On these trails, is traffic going both ways or only one way?

I wanted to do corral canyon since it seems the closest to where i live (North Park). How do i get there? Is it a good trail to start on?

If any of you are riding this saturday, i'd love to tag along. I'm not new to riding, but it would be awesome to ride with a group that knows where they are going :unsure:

Oh, and one more thing, if any of you have the rear XR passenger footrest that you've like to sell, please let me know. I'd like to take the wife on some rides. Doing that on my gsxr600 is not the most comfortable option.

Thanks and hope to see you on some rides.

Welcome aboard. Still plenty of cool weather left for a couple more months of trail riding.

If you need riding gear by the weekend, you may want to check out your local dealer. Almost everybody carries dirt gear in their stores. There are members here who will probably have a favorite place that they recommend.

As for trails, there are none that are designated as one way only, so always be careful, listen and be alert and don't treat a trail like a race track.

See you on a ride sometime. :unsure:

Corral Canyon is closest... which trails depends on talent... most are very easy, and some are pretty tough

tires matter too

My first times at corral, I was wearing jeans, street helmet, catcher shin guards, work boots, and work gloves... I have gradually added better moto gear.

Lots of people here know the trails well... post a ride, and see who is willing to lead you around. As Dirt Dame alluded to... don't treat it as a racetrack; TOO many head-on collisions on busy weekends

welcome to the club

Thanks for the welcome and tips, i'll keep that in mind :beach:

I thought i was leaving behind the roadracing and crashes on palomar i see so often during the weekends but i guess that happens on the trails as well!

Welcome to the group, lots of fun to be had here :beach:

Welcome, lots of friendly, different people here. corral canyon is def a place to go, so much fun.

Thanks for the welcome and tips, i'll keep that in mind :beach:

I thought i was leaving behind the roadracing and crashes on palomar i see so often during the weekends but i guess that happens on the trails as well!

it does, but MOST of the spills are less damaging... to body and bike

thanks again for the welcome guys/gals!

Yes, the spills are for sure less expensive.

I made sure to buy something cheap and used so that it won't hurt my feelings too much in the event i do drop it (which i'm sure there will be plenty). haha.

Welcome and don’t worry nobody here ever falls….. Got to go now my nose is growing.

welcome 650n00b, you will love it here, alot of great peeps. watch out for that bikeslut guy he is sneaky :beach:

Welcome to the site...I will agree many friendly, (and I'll even agree with Argmister, many "different" people too....in a fun kind of way :beach: ...)

The Big outer Loop road around Corral is a great place to start and explore the area out there....lots more room to see people coming than the single track trails, especially on a weekend, with all the jeeps and quads out, etc....and some of them are NOT careful......park at 4 corners (see maps online, here is link), head up the mountain toward look out...down the backside of mt., take a left at the fork at the bottom, and follow all the way around....

be sure you have an adventure pass, can buy at store in Pine Valley.....See you on a ride sometime..

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/recreati...hv/corral.shtml

XRL riders don't need an adventure pass

one- we RIDE our bikes to the OHV

two- it is too hard to load an XRL in the back of a truck, which is why we ride to the OHV area

Welcome aboard.. This is a great board with a lot of great people.

There is a great beginner friendly fire road on Palomar Mountain called Nate Harrison also. You take the road beside mothers that goes up the hill to the side. Ride through the campground, out the bottom and follow the road all the way down to 76.. Kind of far from your house but close to somewhere you know..

Here is a link to it on Google Maps.