Joliet

Mickey's Search and facebook thread

The only scenario I can imagine is if the boy came this way and got in over his head...realized that people would be looking for him...and scratched these into the sand thinking that someone would be looking for him.

The other thought would be that a completely different set of hikers were in this canyon and one group was in front giving dirctions to the group that followed.

I would say that we gave this wash a 80% scrubbing. We could have missed something but we did a pretty fair job in the 6 hours we hiked.

steve

No new revelations or specific findings today……..however all the volunteers (~70) now have a better idea of the decisions Mickey would’ve been faced with as he walked the terrain……..we’ll look over the GPS inputs/maps/photos taken by each team today and figure out our next steps…….

THERE WILL NOT BE A FORMAL SEARCH EFFORT TOMORROW

I want to acknowledge the efforts by Moe and Rebecca Dubois (Amber’s parents).......they have a lot on their plate right now yet they reached out to me yesterday, drove out this morning, and guided me through the administrative details/process associated with running an organized search of this nature/magnitude……and remained at the command center site from 8am to 6pm......MANY THANKS.

Likewise, 20+ members, girlfriends, wives of SDAR came out today along with the Channel Islands 4wheel club out of Ventura (~20 jeeps)……other volunteers were calling me on their phones with offers of air support, etc., etc……outstanding effort by ALL who came out today - THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Stay tuned for next steps.....

crawdaddy... you are a real gentleman for working so hard on this project.

i have tremendous respect for you and your spirit of work and help.

keep us posted on future efforts, i hope i can make the time to help out, my duaghter and i have talked about it and we would like to bring out our jeep and work on a search group soon.

inspirering my friend...

My Saturday plans feel through, so I'll be out there hopefully by 9am. In case I'm late, is there an established freq or repeater I could monitor?

-Greg

Pleasure riding with ya today, looking forward to more in the future.

815455645_XFZWD-L.jpg

Joliet and SDLineman Hiked down this drainage (Nolina Wash)

815455719_o4oB2-L.jpg

Roger Parked above Pinyon Drop

815455925_zp3H2-L.jpg

Harper Flat View from above Pinyon Drop

815456795_ZXwG5-L.jpg

Pinyon Drop

815461225_LXgBc-L.jpg

Roger Does Fairchild ( Without Lockers )

815456025_EX5ds-L.jpg

Getting out of the vehicle and moving up and down slope, gives one a sense that this area is walkable. Many folks walked up these washes and turned around and walked out.

We searched the Harper Flat area from the fence near the bottom of the Drop. We parked the bikes, fanned out and walked in a few miles. Hopefully the group of searchers was able to rule out many of the possible scenarios and help to focus resources. It was good to get out there yesterday. Thanks to all who participated. Here are a few pics of the day:

800IMG_1150.JPG

N2TM, teebes and Strega

800IMG_1152.JPG

Shawn scouting the area

800IMG_1153.JPG

800IMG_1160.JPG

800IMG_1162.JPG

800IMG_1165.JPG

800IMG_1166.JPG

800IMG_1167.JPG

800IMG_1179.JPG

800IMG_1182.JPG

800IMG_1183.JPG

'I want to acknowledge the efforts by Moe and Rebecca Dubois (Amber’s parents)'..........ditto this quote. Theses people have servants hearts in amoungst their own personal pain .... A comment that they made was that we were searching to 'eliminate areas' that Mickey was not in. While riding and hiking through out the day that comment sunk in as we debriefed in the evening after searching areas 1A, 1B, 1C, 2B.

The desert is vast and canvasing it seems impossible at first but when I witnessed the huge efforts and determination of everyone Saturday and the search efforts in December, watching helicopters flying over my head transporting searchers to the remote areas, you realize that indeed these areas of question have been 'eliminated'.

Our search group, Stega, Erick, teebes and Shawn were honored to have been involved. SDAR ROCKS ;)

Doug and Missy, may your hearts be comforted.

Wow.......just saw the pages of posts on this thread. I've been out of town and not on the internet lately. Sorry I couldn't make it out there to help.

Looks like a huge search effort, thanks to everyone who organized and participated.

Doug and Missy, hope this effort gives you some peace of mind and hope you get some positive news soon and that Mickey is OK, wherever he may be.

My Saturday plans feel through, so I'll be out there hopefully by 9am. In case I'm late, is there an established freq or repeater I could monitor?

-Greg

Ahh shucks. You're just saying that cause my bike is black :lol: What an incredible atmosphere yesterday. A solid effort by all, now if only we could have rode through the preserve area ;) I know, I know...

Couple of pics of heart attack hill, looking from the top down. http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/th...DRZ/Mickey_SAR/

th_P1020713.jpg th_P1020715.jpg th_P1020724.jpg

-Greg

Ahh shucks. You're just saying that cause my bike is black :lol: What an incredible atmosphere yesterday. A solid effort by all, now if only we could have rode through the preserve area ;) I know, I know...

Couple of pics of heart attack hill, looking from the top down. http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n175/th...DRZ/Mickey_SAR/

th_P1020713.jpg th_P1020715.jpg th_P1020724.jpg

Nice shots, that's the first look I've had at my shoes zip tied to my OGIO. That does look weird...

Ahh shucks. You're just saying that cause my bike is black ;)

Well you do get bonus points for having a black bike :lol:

Thanks for all the work you've done Chris, I know your phone is blowing up with all kinds of calls.

I know your phone is blowing up with all kinds of calls.

The phone has been riding off the hook between Media and volunteers.....that's FINE......we need all the publicity we can get.......KUSI will here in ~15 minutes for another on camera interview......

We created a webpage on Sat with a link to News coverage (we'll be improving it in the coming days):

http://www.mickeyguidry.com

We didn't uncover any new physical evidence on Sat but we did canvass a lot of ground and I also received a lot of input from everyone on what path they would've taken if they had been in Mickey's shoes.....

1) Obvious first choice - Stay with the jeep that night/hitch a ride the next day

2) walk out Pinyon Rd. to S2 (~8 miles) or Fish Creek to Ocotillo Wells (~22 miles)

3) walk out on a hiking only path down Pinyon Wash (~8 miles) or across Harper Flat/Canyon (~12 miles)

We do know he told friends that he was headed that direction so we do believe he was the one driving the jeep and there is no obvious reason to suspect foul play...... I tend to believe he could've walked out of there if he wasn't hurt/dehydrated (regardless of option), especially given the lack of any physical evidence to indicate that he didn't make it out (the absence of evidence IS evidence).......unfortunately that opens an even bigger can of worms.....if he did walk out, where the hell is he???

It's hard for me to imagine that he would be able to remain underground for 4 months of his own will.....I could see a week or two with help of friends.....but not 4 months.......there's been no activity on his cell, MySpace, Facebook, ANYTHING since that weekend......high school friends would've given him up by now if they had any info.....

I DO NOT believe this kid set out to run away from home......I believe he went for a joy ride, put himself in a bad situation, and continued to make bad decision after bad decision.....if he is out there somewhere hiding/fearing punishment I hope he'll wise up, realize his family loves him/wants him back and reach out to his family/friends....

If someone is giving him shelter I hope they will see the media blitz and give him up.....

If someone is holding him, or has harmed him, we will flush them out and then flush them down......

Thanks for all the work you've done Chris, I know your phone is blowing up with all kinds of calls.

2nd that! Good work. You helped put thousands of eyes on the cause the last few days.

Also, thanks to Strega for picking my license plate up off the S2 about 1/4 mile into our ride. Got Nylock?

Also, thanks to Strega for picking my license plate up off the S2 about 1/4 mile into our ride. Got Nylock?

My radio was on full blast at the staging area......we got a good chuckle.......sounded like Moe, Larry & Curly out there......they ride 5 minutes and they're already loosing license plates! :)

I actually didn't see it come off, I saw Teebes point up into the air at something fluttering. As it went spinning by I noticed it was a plate. Not sure I'd have seen it if he hadn't pointed at it. Team effort. We did think about selling it and not telling you... :)

I actually didn't see it come off, I saw Teebes point up into the air at something fluttering. As it went spinning by I noticed it was a plate. Not sure I'd have seen it if he hadn't pointed at it. Team effort. We did think about selling it and not telling you... :)

I can think of at least one person that could use that plate. Good until Apr 2011...

Thanks to Chris for all his work, to Jeff for bringing his trailer to base camp...for Moe and his wife for helping guide us...It was an incredible effort and experience to be part of and I hope we can head out there and do it again soon..

I will download pics later, but just wanted to also Commend the Channel Islands 4x4 club...who got up at 3 am, drove all the way down, searched all day and drove back....AWESOME...I was lucky enough to be added as a passenger/hiker to one of their groups....consiting of law enforcement, security and military personnel, who really knew what they were doing...

My group COMPLETELY searched Pinyon wash, and every nook and cranny and ledge and cave out there in the wash and in the hills adjacent for the 1-2 mile hiking stretch past the end of the road to the blanket waypoint...There were 5 vehicles and 10 people in my group....We drove in Pinyon wash, spreading out as far as the "stay on established roads" would let us for the driving search portion.... we then parked at the end of the road and hiked in to the Blanket Waypoint....You never know what someone else is thinking, but as I stood at the Blanket spot and looked down...I could only think that all signs of "easiest way out"...point down Pinyon wash..open pathways of clear sand down the wash, with less vegitation, easy grade and waling and white sand that I think you could follow even at night.....but in the state of mind Mickey was in, no one can know where he headed.....but we can keep covering all the possibilities..

It was moving and incredible to see ALL the people at the staging area, and it made me feel like I want to volunteer with the Dubois family and help with searches like this more often...for Mickey and whoever else needs it.....I know all areas aren't suitable for bikes to help, but I think SDAR could be part of that noble cause when it is applicable...

Let us know when you need us again..

Saw you on the news last night Crawdaddy.......you're a star now :rtfm:

Saw you on the news last night Crawdaddy.......you're a star now :rtfm:

It's true- you've done very well. Now I feel a little silly sending you a link for media interview tips. You don't need it.

Attached Mickey's "Missing Person" Flyer..........print some out and take them with you when you go out to the desert :king: .........hand'em out like candy......we need to saturate the area with the news about Mickey and Mickey's image...........need to jog some memories and generate some new leads......thanks

Mickey_Poster__vertical_.pdf

Hey everyone.

Bringing this back up. We had a new piece of evidence found this weekend. The Sheriff's Search and Rescue unit did a training exercise on Sunday, 25 Apr. They concentrated their efforts on the mountains on the west side of Harper Flats, above the area the blanket was found. They located the spare tire cover from the Jeep up high on the ridge. They are thinking that Mickey may have taken it to use as a makeshift umbrella or perhaps to carry stuff in it (there's a zippered pocket in the middle). I'm fiddling with converting the coordinates that they gave me, but if they used the datum I think they did, the cover was found at: N33 03.842 W116 17.558

This gives us an entirely new area to begin scouring. There are a pair of washes that lead down from this mountain area and down into Pinyon Wash. Both are relatively easyily accessed from the Pinyon Wash side.

We have planned another volunteer search for this weekend (1-2 May). Right now, the plan is to meet at the same location as the first one (parking area north of ths Scissors Crossing) at 7am to get out into the cooler air and cover some ground. The plan is for both days this weekend. We're looking to maximize our search time before the summer heat fully sets in.

I'm also going to try and get a day off from work this weekend to go scout a little and get some waypoints, possibly tracks, and a better plan.

Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!