kvanderstel

Portable fuel containers

Do the aluminum white gas or MSR style fuel containers work OK for gas carried in a backpack?

Any other possibilities?

P.S. I'm old but new to the forum....

Do the aluminum white gas or MSR style fuel containers work OK for gas carried in a backpack?

Any other possibilities?

yeah, those work well

most of us are old as well... welcome

Any other possibilities?

yeah, those work well

most of us are old as well... welcome

Do you fill them all the way up? Or almost full? Do they build much pressure while riding?

It is important not to fill them up all the way. There is a fill line on the outside of the bottle, if you do not overfill they work great. I always carry a couple of 1 liter bottles, but have changed the o-rings out for Viton. The race gas and octane booster I carry is hard on the stock buna-n rings. Welcome, :) Ken

They are pretty pressure-proof... I wouldn't store one upside down though.

Also; get one for gas... I used a cheaper one on an Otay ride once, and when on it's side, it leaked... and stunk up the whole restaurant... cheap gasket

If we take somebody down to baja that doesn't have a big tank, you can go to the local Pep Boys or Kragen.

There seems to always be empty 1 gallon prestone bottles in the trash.They have the locking cap,and are very thin in a backpack. We ride 30 miles pull over dump it in the bike. I get these clear bags from work and put it over the prestone bottle, fold the clear bag over the top & a roll of duct tape to make SURE that no gas leaks in your backpack(or down your back).

stock tank 2.5 gal + 1 gal Preston= the cheapest IMS Tank on the market.

If we take somebody down to baja that doesn't have a big tank, you can go to the local Pep Boys or Kragen.

There seems to always be empty 1 gallon prestone bottles in the trash.They have the locking cap,and are very thin in a backpack. We ride 30 miles pull over dump it in the bike. I get these clear bags from work and put it over the prestone bottle, fold the clear bag over the top & a roll of duct tape to make SURE that no gas leaks in your backpack(or down your back).

stock tank 2.5 gal + 1 gal Preston= the cheapest IMS Tank on the market.

Are you talking about Prestone antifreeze jugs? That seems risky... they're better that others? A full gallon of gas weighs about 7lbs.

I use the MSR also....I did carry some gas in some cheap aluminum water bottles a bit, with no issues, but decided to play it safe....

I've also heard that empty Chloring bottles from pool maintenance are good "bigger" options.......they have locking caps also and are resilient....

Welcome to the site...