Tree

Presidents Day Mexico

It's a little ways away but I'm checking to see who's interested in the ride. Me and a couple buds are planning to do a Presidents day (2/19) ride in Mexico. Th plan right now is to park on the US side and ride through the crossing at Tecate and head to Lagua Hanson. It will be an all day event but should be pretty fun. I'll have to get gas at least once in Mexico as I have about an 80 mile range on my tank. One of my buddies is mexican so no worries about locals or language barriers.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

What is the ride like, terain, aproxamate milage I love riding Mexico. I better get a pasport.

If I wasnt already going to be in Erindera over Pres. weekend I'd join you guys. A fun ride is from Tecate-Laguna Hanson-San Felipe and back. Its a great weekend ride with a mix of almost everything terrain-wise.

Oh, no passport needed until next year unless coming into the US by aeroplane or barco. :ph34r:

What is the ride like, terain, aproxamate milage I love riding Mexico. I better get a pasport

Is a single track road (aprox 8 to 18 feet wide) if start from LA RUMOROSA to HANSON , from TECATE toll road to the start, 60 miles to LH, after Laguna Hanson can buy fuel at Sra Ramona after( next to rancho rayo) HANSON to return and pemex station on Rumorosa

may be 200 miles round trip, see GPX exchange to find MORE info SEE THIS VIDEO OF THE ROAD TO LAGUNA HANSON

HE WAS ON THE QUAD LEFT ARM WAS BROKEN

I may be interested, but cant commit right now.

I have done this route several times in my truck and its very sandy!

There is a Pemex (gas station) right at the entrance to the Laguna Hansen dirt road!

My buddy has a place in Tecate and knows most of the trails. I beleive it will be mosly dirt. Tecate to Santa veronica to Laguna Hanson and back. We'll be filling up at Ramona's in Laguna Hanson as RSalvarez stated. The way back may depend on how late it gets. I'll have my buddy map it out next week. It has some fire road type trails and some single track. I went through there on the way to Mikes last year and the trails weren't too bad

If this wasn't the week before the Desert Dash, I'd consider it. I have yet to do any long rides into Baja. Maybe sometime after the Desert Dash ??

I have a book with GPS routes for northern Baja, written by Lizard Lady....Kacey Smith. She has ridden many trails and GPS'd all of Baja. I have yet to use the book, will have to put it to good use sometime soon.

:( What Rad said... We'll be heading for Butterfield on Thursday the 22nd, so I need to work on the 19th <_<

What do you think about going back on St. Patty's Weekend? Maybe stay the night at Veronica?

If this wasn't the week before the Desert Dash, I'd consider it. I have yet to do any long rides into Baja. Maybe sometime after the Desert Dash ??

I have a book with GPS routes for northern Baja, written by Lizard Lady....Kacey Smith. She has ridden many trails and GPS'd all of Baja. I have yet to use the book, will have to put it to good use sometime soon.

The route from Veronica to Hanson is a nice ride, mostly sandy fire road type riding with some single track if you want it. Alternately there are some places where you can go down into a dry river bed and run the sand (if its dry of course) Some one mentioned a Pemex at the entrance to Hanson, I have not seen it. Usually just gas up at Ramona's a little past El Rayo turnoff towards the park.

The old hotel Los Bandidos at Hanson is now closed. However, if you want to stay the night at Hanson there is a hotel called Rancho Rodeo del Rey. Once you enter the park you will see signs leading you to the hotel. When I was there in November I pulled up to the hotel well after dark and they were closed so I spent a cold night sleeping on the ground. The hotel looks fairly decent with hot water, electricity etc but I think they want something ridiculous like 50 bucks a night. I would have gladly paid 50 bucks rather than sleep outside in the cold. <_<

The routes in the Lizard lady book are a little old and require some corrections since certain sections of her route (south of hanson I think) have been closed. Generally if you just follow old SCORE markers and keep going in the general direction of your next waypoint you cant really get lost.

Guest Numbskull

Count me in! I would like to carpool to Tecate if possible. Michael 619 850 2742

Guy's I would like to ride with the group on a Mex trip. I might not be able to do the 19th of Feb but should be able to do a post St. Pat ride (mentioned earlier by Ride Orange).

If any of you are driving down from North County or parts beyond and need a secure place to park a truck here is an offer for you: I have a decent sized yard and you would be welcome to park your truck in it if you want since we all know that unattended vehicles near the border are pretty vulnerable.

I live in Lakside so any route you go to Tecate from my place is not too long of a ride to the border crossing on a bike.

Just PM me if you are interested in a secure place to park. :unsure:

Gunner

Guy's I would like to ride with the group on a Mex trip. I might not be able to do the 19th of Feb but should be able to do a post St. Pat ride (mentioned earlier by Ride Orange).

If any of you are driving down from North County or parts beyond and need a secure place to park a truck here is an offer for you: I have a decent sized yard and you would be welcome to park your truck in it if you want since we all know that unattended vehicles near the border are pretty vulnerable.

I live in Lakside so any route you go to Tecate from my place is not too long of a ride to the border crossing on a bike.

Just PM me if you are interested in a secure place to park. :unsure:

Gunner

Also another option to consider is the secure parking at the Tecate KOA campground. Last time I was there they charged 10 bucks a day and its just a short ride on pavement to start the route at Santa Veronica if thats what you are going to be doing. The nice thing about parking on the other side of the border is that you wont get an overheated bike while waiting in the long line to cross back to the States.

Also another option to consider is the secure parking at the Tecate KOA campground. Last time I was there they charged 10 bucks a day and its just a short ride on pavement to start the route at Santa Veronica if thats what you are going to be doing. The nice thing about parking on the other side of the border is that you wont get an overheated bike while waiting in the long line to cross back to the States.

Waiting in line on a bike ? I haven't crossed in Tecate on a bike, but at San Ysidro, have always split lanes to get to the front. Don't think the TJ cops will mind you splitting to the front on a bike.

I will follow this thread with hopes of going.

The timing around St Pats sounds perfect to me! An overnighter would be cool!

I was at Laguna Hansen about 2-3 months ago and they will in the process of building a ton of nice small cabins at the lake to rent out. Might be a very nice option!

K

"they charged 10 bucks a day"

My offer for the yard is is 0$ with no strings attatched. If I catch someone trying to steal they better be able to dodge some lead flying at them at about 2500 feet per second.

I believe it's all about riders helping riders and getting there is about enjoying your company, the scenery and of course dodging those damn cages.....

No worries, I had four friends from South Carolina come all the way out here and park in the yard while they did a week down in Baja. I meet them here: http://www.advrider.com/

I will do a cross Country / Alaska / Central & South America ride one of these days (hopefully not just in my dreams ).

It's all good,

Gunner

I believe it's all about riders helping riders and getting there is about enjoying your company, the scenery and of course dodging those damn cages.....

Hi, i have a land on la rumorosa if need a fenced reunion point count with it

"they charged 10 bucks a day"

My offer for the yard is is 0$ with no strings attatched. If I catch someone trying to steal they better be able to dodge some lead flying at them at about 2500 feet per second.

No worries, I had four friends from South Carolina come all the way out here and park in the yard while they did a week down in Baja. I meet them here: http://www.advrider.com/

I will do a cross Country / Alaska / Central & South America ride one of these days (hopefully not just in my dreams ).

It's all good,

Gunner

Hey, just pointing out options thats all, no worries, I'll shut up now.....

I plan to truck my bike to the border (Tecate) and unload there. But, if others want to ride all the way we can meet there. The plans are still tentitive and open for discussion but as of now the plan is to be at the border around 6:30-6:45am so we can be geared up and head out by 7:00. stop at Santa Veronica for Gas and maybe some breakfast. Then head to Laguna Hanson via los compadres trail then some trails which will take us the back way into Laguna Hanson so we'll run by Rancho Rodeo del Rey before we hit Laguna Hanson. We'll stop at Laguna Hanson for lunch and to gas up then decide which way to return. Might be some water crossings along the way with the recent rains and posibility of snow up there so be prepared. Like I said plans are still tentative one of my buddies was trying to change it to Sunday so he would have time to recover on Monday but I didn't want to get up that early on Sun. after the supercross Sat. night but we'll see. Right now it looks like anywhere from 3 to 9 guys for the ride but we'll see as everything gets firmed up.

Numbskull- what part of town do you live? I'm in the El Cajon (Fetcher Hills area)

Rob-Another ride in March sounds good but I don't know about St.Paddys weekend as the National is the following weekend and I'm making that one a 3 dayer. The wekend before St Paddys would be better for me but It's your ride.

Guest Numbskull

I live in UTC but i'll be happy to come to fletcher Hills. Do you have room for a BRP? As for Mexico, I am planning a trip to Gozanga Bay as we speak. I'll try to post it tonight (informal rides) March 2 thru 5

Guns are very illegal in Mex. I've been riding in Mex. since 1970 and parking has always been a concern.At El Condor we've had several breakins the KOA or Sta. Veronica is where I'd park and 5$ a day seems to be the going rate. In San Felipe you can park at the storage north of town at Zoo road 5$ a day

The wekend before St Paddys would be better for me but It's your ride.

Did someone sneak up on me and tatoo "SUCKER" on my forehead while I wasn't looking? :D

Tree, the only way I'll do the weekend before St. Paddy's is if you and the Tortugo come along too! Also, you are welcome to stage at the Ranchito in Jamul. It'll take you about 20 minutes to get to Tecate from the homestead.

I didn't want to get up that early on Sun. after the supercross Sat. night but we'll see.

Good point, but I might be able to join you if it goes to a Sunday ride. Maybe back-off the timetable by an hour or so? (Misery LOVES company! :huh: ) If that's how it goes, I'll reconsider taking the race rig to the SX (for a quicker exit). Lemme know.

Rob, If Sunday you'll be able to make it, I'll talk to tortugo and see if it will work better. Is Sunday better for everyone else, numbskull? :huh:

Guest Numbskull

Sun or mon, it does'nt matter to me.

Ok looks like Sunday morning 2/18. try to get to the border around 7:15am for a 7:30am departure. Numbskull-PM me and we'll set up some kinda carpool from my house in El Cajon. My truck can do three bikes in the back or I also may bust out the trailer.

Ok looks like Sunday morning 2/18. try to get to the border around 7:15am for a 7:30am departure.

:D I'm with you dogg, thanks for accomodating me... The offer stands to meet at the homestead and ride from there. If we depart the Ranchito at 07:00 we can be crossing into Mex by 07:30, and it's a secure location. Otherwise, I'll meet you boys at the border.

This is a great intro ride for for those of you who have been looking to do some Mexico riding or a Mike's Sky Ranch run. :lol: Here's a little scenery from our last trip...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image