Strega

What do you carry when you ride?!?

How much is this? I've been looking for a source of light to use on my YZ426 and on my MTBs for when I get a little too lost after dark...

PM sent.

Eddie- hat's the point of his post...through years of riding, and hanging out with other riders, and reading forum posts, Strega has decided on what he should carry. Its great to ride with others, and hope they have what you need, but you should try to be sele-sufficient

I actually carry quite a bit with me (ask Rex) in my O'gio vest, and a lot of it is from trial and error...you should read the list and start adding to your pack

Its just a matter of time before you will need some of the tools Roger listed. Next time we ride, I'll let you carry my vest...its no picnic (actually, it kind of is...food and drinks) but it could save your life. Not trying to get too dramatic, but its true. A 5 mile hike, in riding gear, is pretty brutal... Search Evan Tanner

Yeah i see where your coming from, it probably would be better for me to carry more equipment but i dont know about going out with a huge vest.

I use a medium size camel back and fender bags in order to carry most everything needed to be self sufficient. Came in very handy in Primm when I took out my clutch perch on the ice. I will always have bailing wire in my pack because of that experience. That said, a flight vest is on my list as it carries the load better than the camel back.

Eddie- hat's the point of his post...through years of riding, and hanging out with other riders, and reading forum posts, Strega has decided on what he should carry. Its great to ride with others, and hope they have what you need, but you should try to be sele-sufficient

I actually carry quite a bit with me (ask Rex) in my O'gio vest, and a lot of it is from trial and error...you should read the list and start adding to your pack

Its just a matter of time before you will need some of the tools Roger listed. Next time we ride, I'll let you carry my vest...its no picnic (actually, it kind of is...food and drinks) but it could save your life. Not trying to get too dramatic, but its true. A 5 mile hike, in riding gear, is pretty brutal... Search Evan Tanner

Yeah i see where your coming from, it probably would be better for me to carry more equipment but i dont know about going out with a huge vest.

I'm about 87.3% to Strega's list. Add spare levers & shifter. Bead buddy, fuses, extra valve stem cores. Every ride.

Most of the time I also bring at least a small dose of common sense (although some would argue) & a sense of humor.

*sense of humor will expire at 8500 ft elevation on a hiking trail not meant for out of shape old guys.

i used the flight vest for the first time on Primm, and i got to say it was VERY comfortable.

it spread the weight out well, was a bit heavy, but i did have a lot of what Strega has.

he has a tail bag, and more bike space than i have currently, and then my vest wouldn't have been as heavy.

i have back up stuff just in case, but i think of it as insurance, i have it, but hope to NEVER need it.

Blind :lol:...another thing, try a "trail" repair of your tire, at home...no stand etc...it's a test of your kit, and ability.

Drinking water, flat kit, gps, 40cal (sshhh), pocket first aide kit........... :lol:

I think a fender bag filled with a tools and parts and a camel back with tools, water and some accesories would be handy.

I'll echo what blind said...use your "on bike" kit to do all home repair...if its not in there, add it

Now- I'm not talking top end re-build stuff, but I AM talking tools to change a flat; replace levers; pull the carb; pull the tank and seat...etc.

40cal (sshhh)

That will be handy when your bike quits out on the trail and you can put it out of its or your misery. :lol:

40cal (sshhh)

That will be handy when your bike quits out on the trail and you can put it out of its or your misery. :lol:

I was wondering when someone was going to mention a firearm, first thing I thought of when I read carry.

A 15 amp fuse.

Crashed into a tree (jumped in front of me) on the dash today. Caused my turn signal wires to short and blow my main fuse. Head light, brake light and turn signals didn't work. Luckily the e-start still did.

Fixed er up at camp. Found a fuse. Ready to go Sunday minus the use of my rear turn signals.

i never used to carry anything, i rode naked..not with clothes{well there was that ONE time...nevermind} but the older i get the more i have started to carry. just got my ogio fv in the mail last week, im hoping to start packing it up so its ready to go as soon as im healed.

oddly enough, i have never been stuck out on a trail, i have always been able to limp it back to the camp or home. but i am starting to take longer, more adventure type rides than just day rides, so im seeing the need for a few more bits

Can't forget the cooler with cold beer.......for times like these......

75111871-L.jpg

With a view like this, it was time to enjoy a cold Sierra with the Sierra in the background

75111877-L.jpg

75111887-L.jpg

75111920-L.jpg

I carry most everything on the list, I don't carry matches, instead I carry a magnesium/flint fire starter. I also carry 1/2 a dozen maps for the southern california deserts. I also carry half a dozen heavy duty paper towels folded up neat. I also carry a couple of 30 gallon lawn and leaf bags, they don't take up much room and will work for raingear, water gathering, shelter, and picking up trash. In my first aid kit I have added a large ace bandage, it is good for holding a compression bandage on a wound if you have to ride out, soft tissue injuries, and snake bites.

I also carry a small compact pair of binoculars. I am also going to have to find a small pair of folding reading glasses to carry also, those maps are getting darn hard to read. I carry a small container of fuses, and a good sized aspirin bottle of spare bolts, nuts, washers, clips, ect.

;) Ken

I carry a large group of riding buddies that carry alot of great stuff with them. I'm amazed at some of the stuff you guys thought of.

;)

This is why I like asking what others carry, so I can audit what I carry and add what I don't have. Like not carry'n matches but carry'n a magnesium/flint fire starter, and the trash bags, that's a darn good idea. This has prompted me to go through my stuff and maybe take out a few items that I don't need, or try to find a lighter version of something I have that could save some weight.

Or I should go to the gym 1 more day a week and lose a few pounds. Hopefully by the time the Kings of the West Rally comes around, I'll be down 25 lbs or so and it much better shape.

Tease!

The detail is deliberately vague, check out that ADVRider post.

Carrying as much as you should: a few bucks

Carrying as much as Strega: a few more bucks

Having a riding partner like Strega: Even Crawdaddy's card doesn't have a limit that high!

Which explains why I only carry this when I ride with Strega.......he has the rest.....

visa.jpg

i'm carrying the man vs wild dvd and a portable dvd player.

Seems like a good list from the OP to see what i should have.

Your vest appears to be very well organized. Now let's talk about that situational mayhem in the garage behind that well organized vest...

BTW, would you carry a tube of lip gloss? If so, I won't need to pack anything for the next ride we're both on. :)

Your vest appears to be very well organized. Now let's talk about that situational mayhem in the garage behind that well organized vest...

BTW, would you carry a tube of lip gloss? If so, I won't need to pack anything for the next ride we're both on. :)

I'm sure I could fit some of your Lip Gloss in a pocket somewhere :)

Yeah the garage needs attention. Once I clean the card board out I'll be able to build my bench and all will be right in the world!