mctrails

Trail punched through today!

Five of us were on hand at Corral today to open up the last section of the new trail. Daijones, XR650Lbum, Dirt Dame, Piratemonkey and I rolled out of the campground around 10am and headed out to the trail. We went to the west entrance of the new trail so the new folks could see where it is. We rode in just a little ways and then back out and took trail 11 to the east end of the new trail and headed in from there.

Dirt Dame and Piratemonkey worked on clearing up the first part of the trail while us 3 guys rode in as far as we could until we hit the thick stuff. Upon doing a little scouting around I realized that it was just as I thought. We only had a short section to clear and we would be connected to the area that we had worked into from the other side.

After knocking it out I rode back to check on the gals. I told them we were going to ride the whole trail but they weren't up to it. So I rode back to were the guys were waiting and we headed out conquer the trail. The iron man award has to go to xrbum for toughing it out on his big machine. In addition to wrestling the mighty machine through some tough sections he said this was his first ride in 6 months or something like that and that he was doing major yard work and constrution at home yesterday. Yeah, I bet he is a sore puppy tonight.

After we made it to the other end of the trail bum said he had to leave and headed back to his truck and home. Dai and I turned around and rode it back through in the opposite direction. From there we rode trail 5, 1 and 9 back to the campground. We hung out for a little while and then everybody left.

I stayed and did some more riding. I did 6, the single track to 4 corners, 1 back to Bobcat, the road, 4 and then took the road around the back way back to the campground. Was a great day of riding and trail work.

So, the good news is the trail is cleared enough to ride it now. There are still sections that can use some cleaning up but you can ride the whole thing now. I think just getting out there and riding will do the most good right now.

Here is Piratemonkey (off in the distance) and dirt dame getting ready to head out.

post-4114-1265002171_thumb.jpg

And here is xrbum and daijones ready to go.

post-4114-1265002193_thumb.jpg

This is at the first part of the last cleared section looking back to the bikes.

post-4114-1265002237_thumb.jpg

From about the same location as the picture above but looking in the other direction. This is before...

post-4114-1265002274_thumb.jpg

...and this is after. Great job dai and bum!

post-4114-1265002346_thumb.jpg

Didn't get many pics of the ride but here is one of bum wrestling his mighty machine back to it wheels. We were quite a ways from him when I took this zoomed in shot. Apparently he fell over here and got tossed down the hill.

post-4114-1265002467_thumb.jpg

David, Mike, Mimi and Zina - Thank you for coming out and helping today.

Didn't get many pics of the ride but here is one of bum wrestling his mighty machine back to it wheels.

These are the most important pictures. Bum will flick that Pig back up in two seconds like its a moped - No one has ever captured this on film before :lol:

Thanks for your hard work on this BLM sanctioned trail!

Thanks to everybody that made this trail happen!!

Alan; how would you rate this trail? Say, compared to the other trails around there?

What has been done so far to exclude bigger vehicles from this trail?

I'm looking forward to trying this trail; thanks again to all the volunteers and Ranger Rich

Thanks to Mctrails for putting this together. He was great in just being able to find what was supposed to be a trail. Yes I am spent. This was my first ride in the dirt in over a year and half. I wore myself out sat on a large concrete/ block and grading project. I was expecting an easy ride. I did not realize what I was in for. At the end I was so tired I could barely pick the pig up. DaiJones and Mctrails were brush cutting machines. They were great. I did not get to see were Piratemonkey and Dirtdame were working as I had to get back home. I am sure it looked great. Thanks to them for also showing and putting time in the trail. Was nice sense of accomplishment at the end, and well worth it.

Didn't get many pics of the ride but here is one of bum wrestling his mighty machine back to it wheels.

These are the most important pictures. Bum will flick that Pig back up in two seconds like its a moped - No one has ever captured this on film before :lol:

I rode in the back as I had no clue were the trail was. The draw back in bringing up the rear is that there is no one to help pick the bike up when you fall.

Glad we got that trail cleared all the way. Was what would have been a pretty darn near perfect day of work and play, if it hadn't been for the phantom stuck throttle making it's appearance again. :lol: Can't really concentrate on having fun when your left hand spends the whole day covering the clutch and the kill button. Thanks to everybody who came out.

Good to see Bum on a bike again. Haven't seen him for a while. Glad to meet Dave too.

Deer on the road in. I counted six of them.

100_0414.jpg

I couldn't get all of them together. Heck, I could hardly get my camera out and running in time to take any pics.

100_0413.jpg

Pics from the new trail.

100_0415.jpg

100_0416.jpg

100_0417.jpg

Thanks to everybody that made this trail happen!!

Alan; how would you rate this trail? Say, compared to the other trails around there?

What has been done so far to exclude bigger vehicles from this trail?

I'm looking forward to trying this trail; thanks again to all the volunteers and Ranger Rich

The trail rating is advanced/intermediate because of a number of different sections scattered throughout the trail. A lot of it is not hard but there are many technical sections along the entire length. With time and the trail getting burned in I think the rating will reduce to intermediate.

Stealth is the only thing keeping bigger vehicles out of the entrances right now. Not very far in from either end there are natural obstacles (rock formations, thick brush, etc.) which would make it hard for them to go very far. I think for now we need to keep it quiet outside of the dirtbike/mountain bike community as much as possible until we get barriers and signs up.

For now the only ones riding it should be those that are volunteering to work it. And since the most needed work right now is for us to ride it. Any of us that have worked it know where it is and can take other riders on it. After you have ridden it you have started your volunteer work.

If you ride it please post a report with number of riders, time spent (for volunteer hours credit) and your impressions and thoughts about the trail. Remember, this is a single track trail so stay on the existing tracks. It is still not well defined in some areas so take your time and follow the ribbons and tracks on the ground.

Richard mentioned fencing at the west end near the road where we started, and possibly some posts narrow enough to keep quads out......he showed us where the fencing is, etc...Can we work on that still?....I'd be up for another work day..sink some posts and fencing, but that would kind of "announce" the trail I guess....let us know when you need us...

Thanks for all the hard work. I'm hoping to get out there late this week, gotta repair some crash damage on the 250, and put in some quality time on the new trail. Hows everyone doing on Terrible Tulls hillclimb ?

Hows everyone doing on Terrible Tulls hillclimb ?

Going downhill wasn't too bad. I got hung up on "those two rocks" on the way up and stalled. One kick and I cleared it OK. Overall the hill is going to need some work but is usable the way it is as long as no one trenches it up. I think we will need to reinforce it somehow. We need to get Richard out there and get his opinion. He was out there walking the trail on Sunday and was pretty happy with what he was seeing.

Good to meet up with you folks, was a fun day and great to ride the new trail, going to be one of my favorites I think, nice mixture with a few tricky bits in each direction and probably the only trail in corral that has any real off camber sections. :lol:

I would suggest someone going back through the route on foot with more pink ribbons and marking the trail a little better*. I don't think the trail direction is obvious in some places so it would be easy to ride off course. I think you'd figure it out soon enough, but all it takes is one person to leave tracks in the wrong direction; then others will follow the tracks and add to the "misrouting." I made barriers with the branches we cut to help keep riders on the trail, but that was only here and there.

post-1009-1265572788.jpg

Then again, I could just exceptionally suck with route-finding. Several times Mimi had to say, "Uh, I don't think the trail is that way." :unsure: There's a reason I don't lead many rides.

And I don't know who lives here, but it's right along the trail so get ready for a delightful surprise:

post-1009-1265573107.jpg

* Yeah, I will volunteer myself.

Richard mentioned fencing at the west end near the road where we started, and possibly some posts narrow enough to keep quads out......he showed us where the fencing is, etc...Can we work on that still?....I'd be up for another work day..sink some posts and fencing, but that would kind of "announce" the trail I guess....let us know when you need us...

Sounds like a good plan, I am up for another work day, when can we do it?

I would suggest someone going back through the route on foot with more pink ribbons and marking the trail a little better*. I don't think the trail direction is obvious in some places so it would be easy to ride off course. I think you'd figure it out soon enough, but all it takes is one person to leave tracks in the wrong direction; then others will follow the tracks and add to the "misrouting." I made barriers with the branches we cut to help keep riders on the trail, but that was only here and there.

Last week I put up some barriers with branches as Zina and Mimi had done and while I did not have any nice pink ribbons improved marking trail with red electrical tape, not quite as clear but it's what I had. Will probably go back sometime this week and ride again and see if can do anymore to clean things up.

I assume you are talking about the section you worked last week. If so, yes, you are right that section has/had not been worked prior to what we did. I have not had time to add more ribbon. The work you and Mimi did helped from what I saw when we rode through it but more work is still needed for sure. Ribbon and barriers are both good ways to designate the trail and block off areas. I was using red ribbon which seemed to be the predominate color. You can get it at hardware and home improvement centers.

One thing NOT do right now is mark it so it can be seen from the road or trail 11. Hopefully that will keep the ATV's, etc. out for now.

Will likely be a few weeks before I can get out there again but you all can go and work it when you can. Was at Corral today riding the trials event in the rain but didn't get back to the new trail.

And I don't know who lives here, but it's right along the trail so get ready for a delightful surprise:

post-1009-1265573107.jpg

Good question.

I might be able to get out there this weekend. Can someone PM me the GPS tracks? Thanks.

I might be able to get out there this weekend. Can someone PM me the GPS tracks? Thanks.

We don't have any yet that I know of. Ranger Tull said they have it in a number of segments but its not in a format that we can use and I haven't had a chance to make one myself.

Hey me and wil where out there today, all we saw was a couple quads and 2 dirtbikes.

Way to not contribute to the thread at all...

What he meant to say was, we went there, but did not ride the trail. Not my style of trail...And couldn't find the entrance.

Been out to Corral canyon couple times last week on tuesday and friday, and again this tuesday. Each time I have ridden the new trail from east side to just before the road at end and then turned around and back to trail #11, then go off for a bit to cool down then run through new trail again the same way covering both directions. The trail now is much clearer although of course I know it much better now so may well still need improved marking in places. Starting from east side is easier so would recommend that to anyone for first pass as from west side there are couple of quite tough pieces. Its a real fun trail with nice mix of obstacles but not for the faint hearted.

I haven't found it any easier going east to west, than west to east. It's a butt whacker in either direction.

your hard work is very appreciated all who have participated and helped out. i cant wait to get out there. i have never ridden corral canyon, it looks great