Chief Gunner

Tweak the beast and a run up the backside of El Cap

:) I'm Back! It's been awhile since I've been riding with you guys. I was going to do some work on my bike this weekend and then take a ride up to the backside of El Cap afterwards (if the gate is open that is). I am going to scout it out today after work.

Might get some rain this weekend so I am keeping Sat or Sunday open for this. Probably set the time for 10 or 11 AM.

I was thinking of reversing the route this time by going up Wildcat Canyon to Ramona Estates and then catching the dirt on the backside of the Estates and eventually coming out on the Cuyamaca exit on the 8, then back to my hose for some hot links, beer and tunes.

The last time I did the El Cap ride was with Husky4me and Bachoedoc back in October, it is a nice run.

I do have a manual for the XR650L and enough tools to do most maintenance and repairs to just about anything.

With this being an informal thing and not bike or brand specific any other SDAR riders that might want to turn a wrench on thier bike and is up for a few hour ride afterwards just PM me.

Gunner

:) Damn memory; The El Cap ride I did back in October was not with Husky4me. I rode with KTM Dan, Ride-Orange and Bachoedoc.

Oh well; Do we have anyone up for it anyway?

Saturday is the day, if it rains we can do the maintenance stuff and in the garage and fire up the grill. Those that do not want to ride wet can throw the bike on the truck / trailer and park in the yard.

I Just got home from the recon run up in Ramona Country estates, I found one closed gate but the other approach was open.

I do not know if the gate is open on the far end but if the entrance on the NW side is open I think we would be within legal & ethical boundries to ride out to it and if it is closed we could always reverse the route.

Gunner

Guest stevensyanora

Ill be there...are you going to break out the BBQ :)Posted Image

Saturday is the day, if it rains we can do the maintenance stuff and in the garage and fire up the grill. Those that do not want to ride wet can throw the bike on the truck / trailer and park in the yard.

I Just got home from the recon run up in Ramona Country estates, I found one closed gate but the other approach was open.

I do not know if the gate is open on the far end but if the entrance on the NW side is open I think we would be within legal & ethical boundries to ride out to it and if it is closed we could always reverse the route.

Gunner

Rain or shine, I will be there Saturday.

Besides I have to see Steves new Beemer. :)

I'm in too :D ,

1 never did that route :)

2 never saw Steveees BMW new toy :o

3 never tested my new suspension mod and IMS PRO foot pegs :P

4 I want to ride :lol:

Is it possiable to get some sand riding on that day?...I'm a BAD SAND MAN now :)

See you alll later ;)

Aaron,

PM sent, I hope I can be there on Sat. Looks like a great crowd assembling. And I want to get some more of those Hot Links.

Jon

:) I will break out the grill and get the fire pit going. I hope Hot links, Cheese burgers and dogs work for you guys? I'll have some Beer in the fridge and other non-alcohol beverages for those who do not wish to drink Beer.

Gunner

Gunner, what city do you live in? How long is the ride you are proposing, and how much is highway? I was going to give my knee a couple more weeks, but I would really like to get back out there and ride. Is Gunner a MOS thing? Ken

I'm in too :P ,

1 never did that route :)

2 never saw Steveees BMW new toy :D

3 never tested my new suspension mod and IMS PRO foot pegs :P

4 I want to ride :lol:

Is it possiable to get some sand riding on that day?...I'm a BAD SAND MAN now :)

See you alll later ;)

Alex, looking for sand, you must have been practicing while I have been laid-up. Bad Sand Man is just too long, you know we are going to have to shorten it to B S Man :o Just kidding, it has been too long since I have been riding with you guys, I can't wait. Ken

Forgot to mention; There are a few shops nearby if any of you might want to or need to get maintenance parts.

CMC, RP racing, and Veys are the closest. They all stock parts for different makes (might not be able to find BMW stuff at any of them though). Also Kragen is right down the street, they actually carry motorcycle oil and fram motorcycle filters now.

Motoworld of El Cajon, Quinsey Powersports in El Cajon and Cycle Gear are only a couple minutes away on a bike.

For any "Katoom" guys that might want to come on out I think the closest places to get stuff for the orange monsters is in Ramona or Lemon Gorve.

Just an idea on what I plan on doing: checking / adjusting my valves, re-packing my exhaust, changing the oil and giving all the bolts and fastners a good once over.

Might feel froggy enought to try and spoon a new tire on the rear.

Aaron the ride sounds great sat will work at this time looking forward to seeing the guy's this year will stay posted the doc. :)

AMA

SDORC

SDAR

KLR 650

RIDE SAFE AND HAVE FUN

What time is the ride going to start?

You guys are KILLING ME ;) We're having a "sending the big kid off to college in San Francisco and it's his 21st birthday too" party on Saturday, and Sunday's all about a 12 hour drive to SFSU :) He's stoked because the "straight" chick to guy ratio is 2 to 1 up there :D

Guns- Thanks for the press. It sure was a fun time when we went, you guys will have a blast! :o Watch out for the Turkey watchers!

papaalex- Glad to hear that you got those suspenders propped-up. Did you go to Precision Concepts? Let me know when you're ready to take a crack at the Superstition dunes again. "You can do it! Kick their sandy a$$es!" :) I promise we won't lose you again :lol:

Have fun, catch you on the next run!

PM sent. I'll be there for the ride, and to meet some of you intresting folks.

Gunner Chief,

I'll be there! I'd like to repack my exhaust and spoon on a new tire, so I'll bring my tire tools and 5gal bucket if anyone else wants to do tires.

Funny, that BBQ doesn't look anything like the one we brought home from the cleanup! :unsure:

What day is this?

If its Sunday i am in! Girlfriend is a football nut and will be watching games all day long.

I couldnt care less about the games and need to do some stuff to my bike.

List:

-Check to see if fork is bent???? (got one leaking seal)

-Clean and Re-Oil Airfilter

-Check and/or replace spark plug

-Check and Adjust Chain Tension

-Figure out why gas pours out of my bike if i drop it (even with the fuel shut off!)

-Check Valve Clearances

Thats my list

Since there is going to be alot of 650l's at this thing, I would like to know how many would like to make some case savers for their bike. I was going to bring some aluminum and my 4 inch diamond blade w/grinder. I made some for the right side yesterday. Not hard, just takes a little time! You wont be able to mount. Jb weld will need time to dry, but you would have some in hand! Chime in if you want me to bring it. Or wait for Manglers factory made set up!

Since there is going to be alot of 650l's at this thing, I would like to know how many would like to make some case savers for their bike. I was going to bring some aluminum and my 4 inch diamond blade w/grinder. I made some for the right side yesterday. Not hard, just takes a little time! You wont be able to mount. Jb weld will need time to dry, but you would have some in hand! Chime in if you want me to bring it. Or wait for Manglers factory made set up!

An unsolicited thought about attaching with JB Weld... this stuff gets rock hard, right? So, with the thickness of the case, the thickness of the JB weld and the thickness of the aluminum, you should be fine. But when I bought my case savers from ThumperTalk, they all suggested using a silicone to attach... this actually provided a "cushion" rather than transferring all of the impact to the case.

:unsure: Just a thought about adhesive for covers. When I had my '03 KLX400R (DRZ in green skin) I bought a set of CFC crankcase covers. The instructions called for high temp (black) permatex to adhere the covers to the magnesium crankcases.

It worked really well, easy to do a neat & clean job around the edges when wet and it sets quickly.

Never had problems with the covers, I only wish CFC made them for the XR.

I've got two tubes of black permatex in the garage if any one wants to try out on handmade covers.

see ya there

Aaron