daijones

New to SDAR

A bit about me, I am from Wales, grew up with bikes, my dad raced in scrambles and enduros for years and as I got older I looked after his bikes and as soon as I was old enough I started racing also. At one time between us we had >30 bikes from 1920's through to latest cutting edge MX bikes, some absolute beauties I wish I had today. Did that for few years through college and had great fun but work moved me away from home and kind of took over my life with long hours and lot of travel building various mobile phone networks.

Moved from UK over to bay area in 95 then down to SD in 97 and been based here ever since and loving it although work still meant silly amount of travel and little time for fun. So at end of 04 quit the job to just do part time consulting still in mobile phone arena but that turned into a 3 year project in Florida. Finally got out of that end 07 and got apt in Del Mar/Carmel Valley area (with double garage) and now only working part time with a few clients. So went out an bought a 530EXC KTM and for first time in 20 years started riding again. Wow, what a shock to the system I can say, I was very unfit, overweight and found it real tough. But also just the riding, I would see obstacles and think, yes thats easy and brain would send signals to the limbs but they had no idea what to do with the garbled instructions, almost funny really. So had to get back to basics and learn almost from scratch, and with more than a few bruises and breaks along the way. Late last year also got a 300EXC KTM back in Wales that I keep at a friends house and been over a few times and done about 10 enduros/hare scrambles this year and riding improving along way. And now just got a 300XC KTM over here and looking to get to some of the local tracks a bit and maybe do some enduros, maybe even get over east and do a couple of GNCC's or something, have to see. Anyway only place I have ridden in SD area so far is Corral Canyon and try and get out there during the week when there are less folks around, still had a few surprises, now feeling a bit more comfortable on the bike looking to explore new areas in between work trips.

And as you may gather quite a KTM fan although earlier in life owned and rode most everything and did race a Kawasaki KX250 in 88 which was a totally awesome bike, and will probably be buying a non KTM in near future (need a trials bike I think to learn some skills and they don't make one as yet).

Dai (Welsh for David)

Welcome Dai :o

We have the local Desert Scrambles here, and as a younger lad (up to your age) I raced 'em a bit. Lots of great people to meet there as well as on the site here.

Looking forward to getting with you and learning a little about the country of my ancestry.

Cheers!

R-O

Welcome aboard. Hope to see you on a ride soon. Lotsa pumpkin riders in the club.

COOL!

Sheep-shagging jokes!

Croeso.

Peidiwch รข theithio yn hoffi BikeSlut

COOL!

Sheep-shagging jokes!

Croeso.

:unsure:

welcome Dai... I have NO FREAKING IDEA what he just said, but expect you do... my family is Welsh, too, but I have been in United States my whole life... so we can just talk dirtbikes instead

He probably said don't ride like bikeslut. Just a guess :unsure:

Welcome! You'll find plenty of rides to go on in no time!

COOL!

Sheep-shagging jokes!

Croeso.

:unsure:

welcome Dai... I have NO FREAKING IDEA what he just said, but expect you do... my family is Welsh, too, but I have been in United States my whole life... so we can just talk dirtbikes instead

This is riding in Wales in middle of summer, quite a shock going back and forth.

post-13825-1262143007.jpg

Now the before shot, if Bikeslut rides this bad maybe we are distant relatives.

post-13825-1262143173.jpg

Oh and the sheep never tell the truth, well at least it's no longer admissible in court.

Welcome! These are a great bunch of guys and gals to ride with! Check the forum often and you can find rides going on during the week, which is what I like (no crowds or traffic).

Wow....Wales looks like Georgia. :crazy:

Good observation from the red clay but that is not normal, in fact can not remember it looking like that, maybe camera trick, here are a few other pics that look more normal.

post-13825-1262149271.jpg

post-13825-1262149319.jpg

post-13825-1262149356_thumb.jpg