freeride619

what do you guys think?

I need an opinion on what bike to get between a 1989 yamaha xt 350 for 800 or a 1982 honda xl 500 for 900.

I've never ridden either one, but I think the Yamaha would be my choice. I'm not sure, but some of the early Honda's had a 23 inch front tire that could be a PITA to get a tire for.

Go check them both out and see which one you like best.

I've had both of those bikes (actually a XT250 and an XR500) of that vintage, and I'd pick the Yamaha in a heartbeat.

Great bike.

Getting into vintage racing? There a a few clubs out there, Marty Tripes is involved in it. You can prolly find it by goggling vintage motocross. socalhodaka would know

Getting into vintage racing? There a a few clubs out there, Marty Tripes is involved in it. You can prolly find it by goggling vintage motocross. socalhodaka would know

I don't think he is looking at getting into vintage racing. I think he just want an inexpensive DS bike. But the best place for vintage around here is CALVMX. They have vintage and post vintage classes all they way too 1989 as well as a modern support class at all the events. So everyone is welcome.

Eddie... let me see what my buddy says about the DR350... I think it would be a better choice than either of those, if he maintained it, or at least kept it out of the elements. It is a '93

Acerbis tank with dual petcocks, corbin seat, an extra lightweight headlight assembly to replace the stocker, renthal bars. OK cosmetically, it WAS good mechanically. Stock tank and stock seat were with it when I sold it... kick start only, but easy to start once you learn the drill.

He'll respond to my email eventually

Haha yeah im not getting into vintage racing but that would be pretty cool. I'm just looking for a cheap dual sport.

Eddie... let me see what my buddy says about the DR350... I think it would be a better choice than either of those, if he maintained it, or at least kept it out of the elements. It is a '93

Acerbis tank with dual petcocks, corbin seat, an extra lightweight headlight assembly to replace the stocker, renthal bars. OK cosmetically, it WAS good mechanically. Stock tank and stock seat were with it when I sold it... kick start only, but easy to start once you learn the drill.

He'll respond to my email eventually

Alright, did you find out the price?

If the BS connect doesn't work out, I'd pick the Yamaha. A few maint issues mentioned, but at least he mentioned them.

Eddie; I threw $1000 out there as a target...he would be crazy to not consider it...he bought it for $400 3 years ago, and has ridden it 10 times...if he responds that he is interested, I'll just put the two of you in contact with each other and stay out of it.

Hope it works out; I had tried an xt350 when I got the DR350 new, and the DR was the better bike hands down.

Eddie; I threw $1000 out there as a target...he would be crazy to not consider it...he bought it for $400 3 years ago, and has ridden it 10 times...if he responds that he is interested, I'll just put the two of you in contact with each other and stay out of it.

Hope it works out; I had tried an xt350 when I got the DR350 new, and the DR was the better bike hands down.

Sick man,id definitly be intersted in that as long as it runs. Just let me know what he says about it. Thats the bike im hoping of getting.

Take your time - an unbelievable deal will show up if you are watching for it. By searching advrider daily for san diego I got an 04 KLR 650 with 3000 miles for 1k :rolleyes: It needed a battery and the registration was out of date. Try to buy the most popular or common bike you can get. Buy a 650 for street pyro style and a 250/350/400 for more dirt.

that is pretty good... NOW if you can get people to stop posting "NOT yamaha kawasaki honda" at the bottom of the adds, you could find the bike you are looking for

The dumbass picked up a non running EXC 300.

oops... I was on a roll and didn't see this...

EXC300? No plate, right? Two stroke? Shouldn't be TOO hard to get running, assuming he has some cash left over...

The dumbass picked up a non running EXC 300.

oops... I was on a roll and didn't see this...

EXC300? No plate, right? Two stroke? Shouldn't be TOO hard to get running, assuming he has some cash left over...

Yeah it just needs all the fluids. He's been wanting a plated bike for so long, and then goes to an auction today and picks up a 2 stroke non-plated, and no chance it hell it'l ever be plated, bike. Paid 1500 for it too...Monkey see, Monkey want. Whatever, hope he has fun in the desert.

a smoker is a great second bike... in California, I wouldn't pick it as my FIRST bike, but that's ok...

Enjoy your ride dumba... uh... Eddie ;)

Really; the 300EXC is a great bike, once it is running... spaugh has one I think

Ahhhh, got the full story finally!

His dad bought the bike for him as a gift, he doesn't want Eddie on a street legal bike because he thinks it's too dangerous. I'd agree if I have never ridden a bike before.

Now that it's a gift, it's actually nice. I take back my previous statements. He's still a dumbass though. Cause he is.