jbw

Time for some twisties

Coming back from a desert ride this past weekend I followed up on a craigslist ad and here was the result: wheels, tires, discs and sprocket :lol:

Total cost: $500

4202849496_b2ca51b4d0_b.jpg

So after fitting the wheels to my bike to make sure everything worked we started to discuss his drz. Well, it was not running due to some electrical issue. So I started investigating and probably 45 minutes later found his problem, a pinched wire shorting to ground. Well that had saved him a trip to the shop and probably $100 for me on the wheels.

These wheels/tires are so much better than the knobbies on the street. Now I can actually start going out the the spots suggested here. I had tried some of them on the knobbies but never really felt all that planted. So anybody have any good tips for this type of setup?

I had actually picked up a set of wheels from TNTMO a long time ago, but had not been able to use the machine shop I had thought was available to me at my university. So the cost of having the machining done was prohibitively high.

TNTMO-I can get you the wheels back(and some bearings I bought for the project) just let me know. But if you have no use, I still may want to machined them to fit if I can gain access to a machine shop(looks like I can but in a long time from now).

I probably won't get those wheels machined any sooner than you would so hold onto them. If I do end up finding a hook up at a machine shop I'll let you know. Looks like you got a killer deal on the sumo wheels, when I get home I know some good backroads to explore.

\

These wheels/tires are so much better than the knobbies on the street. Now I can actually start going out the the spots suggested here. \

I got some for my XR and when I do actually ride it, it's a blast :lol::dance2:

motard3.jpg

Wow! that looks real nice :rolleyes: I was looking for some for my BRP.....kinda spendy for me right now

6776_103042141875_574266875_2668418_6838302_n.jpg

Going up to LA for new years eve planning on riding the "Snake" on Mullholland and PCH maybe some angeles crest area but I prefer the tighter areas high speed sweepers arent the fun part about supermoto.

The fun thing is you can still do gravel roads fairly good depending on your tires with the bike.

If those are the supermoto compound avon distanzas they are supposed to be pretty awesome.

Pala Raceway is going to open a supermoto/gokart track at some point

6776_103042141875_574266875_2668418_6838302_n.jpg

Going up to LA for new years eve planning on riding the "Snake" on Mullholland and PCH maybe some angeles crest area but I prefer the tighter areas high speed sweepers arent the fun part about supermoto.

The fun thing is you can still do gravel roads fairly good depending on your tires with the bike.

If those are the supermoto compound avon distanzas they are supposed to be pretty awesome.

Pala Raceway is going to open a supermoto/gokart track at some point

that is funny I went back to my parents place this weekend and rode the snake. It is only about 15 miles from the house (and all 15 miles are twisties)

And yes they are the sm distanzias

photo_untouched.jpg

Awesome! we'll have to do a SDAR sumo ride at some point. That's nice that you have street leathers as well. My two street setups are both textile.

Did you truck the bike up to your folks or ride from SD?

Not sure where the rockstore photo was of my bike I forgot the date when we went riding. (found it) You can see my rotopax mount on the side for extra gas and my saddlebags. They don't look racy but its too nice to have some storage and not have to wear a backpack

3718064180_99fe6c3d35.jpg

No I trailered it. The gearing is way low at the moment, I need to buy a new sprocket and chain.

Look on CL and you can find good deals on leathers. The ones I got were almost new and only cost $100 for the set.

post-2136-1263153450.jpg

Now you guys just need to meet me up at Buttonwillow for a track day! Most fun you can have on our kind of bike with street tire set up. Safe, fun and not too expensive.

post-2136-1263153450.jpg

Now you guys just need to meet me up at Buttonwillow for a track day! Most fun you can have on our kind of bike with street tire set up. Safe, fun and not too expensive.

LOL you took your dual sport to buttonwillow? I want to do a a track day but figured more or less that supermoto tracks (gokart tracks) which are tighter would be more suited. Horse thief mile, or adams gokart track etc.

post-2136-1263268403.jpg

post-2136-1263153450.jpg

LOL you took your dual sport to buttonwillow? I want to do a a track day but figured more or less that supermoto tracks (gokart tracks) which are tighter would be more suited. Horse thief mile, or adams gokart track etc.

I smoked 90% of group 3 riding liter bikes on this old DR350. You can out corner most guys on the big bikes, unless they are really good. The straight at Buttonwillow is not that long, I max the bike out at about 90mph (about 105 on a big bike)and in the corners carry way more speed than I did on a big bike. You can also take the long back curve (Riverside) at 80 mph hard over and keep up with the bike bikes in the Esses after Star Mazda turn. Tellin ya, it's the most fun you can have with your pants on!

Isn't it 300$ for a track day or something insane?

Nope. I go with Veloce to Buttonwillow and it $155 or $125 with the early bird special. No ridiculous rules, no crazy bike prep (if it's good enough for street legal it's good enough for the track) regular street riding gear requirements. 15 min sessions every hour all day long with an hour lunch break. There is also a photographer that takes great shots for around $50.

And you can find deals like the other one I posted where its only 45 bucks for a day but I have never seen that cheap before. My experience with cars is that investing in riding time on a track is one of the best things you can do for your safety as well as being fun.

Grant I have not really ridden on the street in anger on my bike so I don't know how I would do. Did you setup the suspension for being on pavement at all?

And you can find deals like the other one I posted where its only 45 bucks for a day but I have never seen that cheap before. My experience with cars is that investing in riding time on a track is one of the best things you can do for your safety as well as being fun.

Grant I have not really ridden on the street in anger on my bike so I don't know how I would do. Did you setup the suspension for being on pavement at all?

$45 is crazy cheap. Yes you can find deals. I usually go with Veloce at Buttonwillow and they have an early bird discount online.

I run a pretty stiff suspension set up, so I don't change anything for the track. After going to the track I do very little street riding on my bike. The things you can do at the track safely make riding the street seem a bore and very dangerous.

Took my buddy Jim and his girlfriend Christen on a loop out to Carguy's casa on the 94 yesterday. We both scraped some hard parts on our bikes. (me on the Vmax and him on his new Fat boy "Low" in thos twisties ;)

I did not get any pics so I went to the Hwy94 photo site to see if there were any there.....found one of this guy tearing up the twisties on an HD....I recognize that dude anywhere :rolleyes:

I've been doing allot of street riding but cannot wait to hit the dirt soon as soon as the pig is fixed. I'm usually up for at least one day of twisties on the weekends so anytime you guys that like that too just hit me up with a PM and we'll hook up and go wear the edges of our tires smooth ;)

12-27-09-177.jpg