Jaynen

Gravel/Dirt Road techniques

I have heard a few times on Thumpertalk that the dirt roads are often the most dangerous part of a ride because people tend to go faster and hit blind corners dirt track style etc. That being said its also one of the biggest areas I feel like I am having confidence issues because I am worried about washing out the front tire at higher speeds where its going to hurt a lot more.

Does anyone have any basic pointers or advice to improving on this? I figure I will get a lot of time to practice out at Primm with some roads and mileage. It was actually quite educational for me when I did the memorial day ride and the other palomar ride on street tires because I became a lot more comfortable with the rear tire sliding around.

Thanks

you're not going to like the answer... steer with your rear... tire that is...that being said... don't do it on Viejas Grade... I have been stupid on that road too many times... learn on a closed track or just slow down

Go get a copy of On Any Sunday. Watch Mert Lawwill flat track, the only problem here is they only turn left. Oh what a feeling to pitch a bike sideways. Of course some bikes do this better then others. Stay loose so you can shift your weight, use throttle control. Go for it. Be careful.

get your weight forward to plant the front and then apply pressure to the outside peg on the bike and like above learn to steer with the throttle. sometimes you gotta steer left to go right :)

Go get a copy of On Any Sunday. Watch Mert Lawwill flat track, the only problem here is they only turn left. Oh what a feeling to pitch a bike sideways. Of course some bikes do this better then others. Stay loose so you can shift your weight, use throttle control. Go for it. Be careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vkopfn1gLU

Here is a clip from the movie

I believe the average gravel road (gravel over hardpack) is far more dangerous than an average two-track or deep-sand desert wash. It's like rolling on marbles, and stopping on them, too.

I believe the average gravel road (gravel over hardpack) is far more dangerous than an average two-track or deep-sand desert wash. It's like rolling on marbles, and stopping on them, too.

Just like otay usually is, and when you're on death wings, the only way to turn is to keep that back wheel spinning...

I own On Any Sunday (and Dust to Glory, and Gran Prix the 2 disc edition) all of which I think should be in any motorheads collection. I understand the outside peg, counter steer (steer right to go left) and weight forward bit I just think in general I am always afraid of my front tire on loose turns

If it's loose and not burmed out, just drift it and eliminate the front wheel compeltely. When it doubt gas it, and 90% of anything is commitment. That's what I've learned, but surely there are TONS of more knowlegable people than me...

Once you get the hang of drifting through the corners, it's really a lot of fun.

You can start out doing it fairly slow, and work your way up to doing those nice 5/6 gear power slides.

A little harder to do on the trials bike where there's no seat, but the same principal applies, gas it when the front end starts to slip :lol:

I've saved many a front end tuck that way. In fact, that's why I bought my '00 DRZ. Got it so I could get back in the hang of dealing with the front end getting loose to help out with my road racing. Was plenty comfortable stearing with the rear tire but having the front end slip give me the willies.

Won't say I'm completely cured, but picking up the throttle seems more second nature now.

Once you get the hang of drifting through the corners, it's really a lot of fun.

You can start out doing it fairly slow, and work your way up to doing those nice 5/6 gear power slides.

A little harder to do on the trials bike where there's no seat, but the same principal applies, gas it when the front end starts to slip :lol:

I've saved many a front end tuck that way. In fact, that's why I bought my '00 DRZ. Got it so I could get back in the hang of dealing with the front end getting loose to help out with my road racing. Was plenty comfortable stearing with the rear tire but having the front end slip give me the willies.

Won't say I'm completely cured, but picking up the throttle seems more second nature now.

That's true now that you mentioned it when I did that ride on the street knobbies I noticed I was using the throttle to catch the bike soon as I felt it start to wiggle out on the front end, each time it did it was still one of those butt pucker moments of the "oh man I almost just ate it" feelings but hitting the gas did pull the rear in line and kept the bike up

Traction!!! You can add traction to your bike with less air than normal in your front/rear tire. Well worth it for safety. A fellow rider tipped me on this on a recent ride. The front end wanted to wash easily on fire roads. So, I reduced the air in front by 25% and no more sliding out period. Big difference. Passing it forward.

Traction!!! You can add traction to your bike with less air than normal in your front/rear tire. Well worth it for safety. A fellow rider tipped me on this on a recent ride. The front end wanted to wash easily on fire roads. So, I reduced the air in front by 25% and no more sliding out period. Big difference. Passing it forward.

did the same guy tell you to lube your chain 3X daily? ;)

just bustin chops...

3 people are laughing out loud. Way to play the room. Get your signing pen out. Its just like your music scene. At least the laughing part.

3 people are laughing out loud. Way to play the room. And a big crowd it is for you. Can you handle the crushing admiration and expansive audience fan base? Get your signing pen out. Oh relax, you can do it. Its just like your music scene. At least the laughing part. Your music scene has smaller audience though.

:blink:

3 people are laughing out loud. Way to play the room. And a big crowd it is for you. Can you handle the crushing admiration and expansive audience fan base? Get your signing pen out. Oh relax, you can do it. Its just like your music scene. At least the laughing part. Your music scene has smaller audience though.

Yeah, BS is busting your chops- see what happens when you're absent for a while?

Good to see you posting....

BS,

Loved your comments. I laughed out loud. My reply "read" a little meaner than it was meant. It was funny in my head. I do need "fakey" to ghost write for me. Go for it Fakey. Do your thing.

Watch the clip from On any Sunday. The rider is making a left turn and his front tire is turned to the right, counter steering. When you’re power sliding you don’t have to worry about your front tire washing out. Your rear tire is your problem tire. Too much throttle will put you down, low side. Power sliding requires COMMITMENT. Once you enter a corner you have to be committed to the entire corner. If you cut the throttle for an instant the bike will go straight in the direction the front wheel is headed. That’s what happens in speedway racing when you see a rider go straight into the wall.

One of the guys on the Special Stage forums pointed me to this. I am actually considering it if I could save up for it. Being comfortable with sliding like these guys would take a lot of the drama away from controlling a bike.

http://www.americansupercamp.com/

Always wanted to do that- but it's EXPENSIVE.

I wanna say its like 600 bucks :rolleyes: but it would be great knowledge

Jay, you just need to get out on a track. Like at Christi's place, A track is a really good place to learn and try different technical stuff, you take a corner with weight out the outside foot once then the next time on the same corner a little less and you feel and see the difference. That's what I like about track riding, you want to learn to slide? don't take the berm, go inside and let it hang out.

Jay, you just need to get out on a track. Like at Christi's place, A track is a really good place to learn and try different technical stuff, you take a corner with weight out the outside foot once then the next time on the same corner a little less and you feel and see the difference. That's what I like about track riding, you want to learn to slide? don't take the berm, go inside and let it hang out.

Yeah I am really bummed I didnt go out to Christi's when she had the invitation open. I am truckless now and bailed being worried about the weather since I didn't want to risk the ride up the 15 in the rain

What happen to the truck?

Sold it to get rid of the car payment and get something more economical for commuting to work. Wasn't worth the car payment to have it sit there for the few times I need a truck as I don't ride as often as I would like (on the dirt) but now that I did that it's annoying when I DO want to go riding and I have to work that out. Wife and I are on the Dave Ramsey plan and will have her car paid off next month and trying to knockout as much financial stuff as we can pre-baby in June.

I am debating finding some small beater truck or going the trailer hitch route on the Jetta diesel I picked up for commuting