Is Precision Concepts in Riverside a good option to rebuild my suspension??

Had my KTM revalved/sprung by PC in EL Cajon - I'm pleased with the result

$$$=??

$$$=??

It's all on the website......

I had the El Cajon location do my XR600 about 2 years ago. Night and day difference, but.......$750! (revalve and new springs)

I'm just thinking clean/new seals/fresh oil= done...unless they say somthing is bad.

better than me doing it!!! B)

Blind <_<...if i can't laugh at myself... than Fakey and Slutto can pick up the slack!!

I have service manual...something I should attempt at home?? Maybe just let the pro's do it.

What kind of bike is it. I have lots of tools and also the T bleeder and nitrogen. I work for less $$$

What kind of bike is it. I have lots of tools and also the T bleeder and nitrogen. I work for less $$$

2002 XR400r

I love the folks at PC, but if it were me, and I didn't have the tools or time....I would probably have Mimi do them. That machine has fairly simple forks.

BC

They do a pretty good job of revalving and respringing to make the XR400 work better but are expensive. If you know what needs to change or if you are just looking to refresh the oil and new seals then you've got better options such as Mimi.

better than me doing it!!! B)

Blind B)...if i can't laugh at myself... than Fakey and Slutto can pick up the slack!!

You didn't do it, you watched me do it! :lol:

As others have said, if you have the money, then having a pro do your suspension work is the way to go.

I also have an XR400, and recently changed the front springs and fork oil myself for the first time. If you need to change the seals, there is a special tool that you can make or buy as described on Thumpertalk.

I feel better knowing a little more about my bike by doing my own work, but I also know it could be MUCH better if I had the suspension professionally done.

Like most things, it comes down to what your budget allows.

Mimi...PM me.

I wonder if you got my PM, or just decided that I was too expensive. B)

I love the folks at PC, but if it were me, and I didn't have the tools or time....I would probably have Mimi do them.

Agreed.

Do dirtbike shocks have any external, or internal adjustments I could make? I want to stiffen up my ride a little bit. Specifically the highspeed compression, the low speed is perfect, but it bottoms fast on jumps...Not sure how the internals look on dirtbikes, but on MTBs, you can adjust high and low speed compression/rebound differently, and on some, even adjusting preload changes the compression dampening...

Anyone know? (DR650 front end btw)

Do dirtbike shocks have any external, or internal adjustments I could make? I want to stiffen up my ride a little bit. Specifically the highspeed compression, the low speed is perfect, but it bottoms fast on jumps...Not sure how the internals look on dirtbikes, but on MTBs, you can adjust high and low speed compression/rebound differently, and on some, even adjusting preload changes the compression dampening...

Anyone know? (DR650 front end btw)

You may need stiffer springs or possibly more preload and just a slight increase in the volume of fork oil. If your preload isn't enough, the bike will blow through the first part of the stroke on impact off a jump and then deflect and hunt really deep in the stroke without recovering. Proper spring rate and preload will make the forks recover quickly and be in the part of the travel stroke and valving that will make it respond properly to the surface irregularities after the landing. A slight increase in fork oil will slow the last part of the travel down and resist bottoming better.

Hucker- hate to burst your bubble... you ride a DR650. It is just not made for what you want to do. You probably don't need new springs, as you are about the weight that Japan sets their bikes up for (I'm guessing less than 150)... but your bike just won't jump the way you want to without a lot of work... valving, fork oil and stiffer springs (but then it will be harsh as a street bike)

I know you didn't ask, but that never stopped me from offering advice: Leave your DR as a street/fire road bike... save up if possible and get a dirt bike that will allow you to jump. Keep an eye on For Sale sections here, on thumpertalk and advrider... check craig's list. I got my WR for the equivalent of $1400 or so from Trophy, and even with my 210 pounds of no finesse, it jumps very well. I don't think you will get your DR suspension up to par for less money.

BS thats good advice, buy a real dirt bike. 99 and newer KTM 2 strokes, the EXC models, are great trail bikes. 04 and newer KTM 4strokes are great do it all bikes and some are street legal.

My old timers is acting up - the original question here was XR400 suspension and Precision Concepts is the gold standard for that bike!!!!!!