KTMrad

February 2010 DESERT DASH Flyer is Up on Site

Is this ride recommended for novice riders? I recently picked up a used 1200 GS, completed the rawhyde course but still consider myself a beginner.

Sounds like a blast but not sure what to expect. Not a big fan of deep sand. Please advise.

Newish Rider......big pig bike ......not fan of sand = This isn't the ride for you (now)

well said Crawdaddy

I'm not doing the dash, but I pyro'd out to OW from my house on sunday. I even took all back roads, to sunrise highway through Laguna in the snow to 78/79 whatever it is, to OW. Great roads, Great ride. Just be sure to pin it around RV's when you get the chance, or you'll be stuck in first gear for 20 miles. :o

Is this ride recommended for novice riders? I recently picked up a used 1200 GS, completed the rawhyde course but still consider myself a beginner.

Sounds like a blast but not sure what to expect. Not a big fan of deep sand. Please advise.

Have to agree with C-Daddy on this one. BUT....ride out to Butterfield Ranch EARLY on Saturday and watch the launch & meet some folks. Or chose later (2-3 ish) and do the same.

Always welcome.

Have to agree with C-Daddy on this one. BUT....ride out to Butterfield Ranch EARLY on Saturday and watch the launch & meet some folks. Or chose later (2-3 ish) and do the same.

Always welcome.

Now this is a very good idea! :o

Thanks for advice guys. I will definitely come by saturday morning to watch the launch and will ride more sand so I'm ready for next year.

Thanks for advice guys. I will definitely come by saturday morning to watch the launch and will ride more sand so I'm ready for next year.

I'll be at the sign in area Sat morning from 6-8am, if you're there early enough, please come introduce yourself. I'll prolly be the only guy wearing all black sitting behind a laptop, literally :o Black button up shirt with "Monster" on the front.

Hope to see ya there!

.....will ride more sand so I'm ready for next year......

It's not just an issue of riding more......A GS1200 is a BIG/Heavy ADV bike.......all but the most advanced riders would be exhausted trying to loop either of the ~150 mile DD loops on a bike that big/heavy/powerful.......does it also have 50/50 tires on it? You'll see very few bikes over ~650cc/350lbs at this ride......

You might want to consider saving the GS for ADV/sport touring.......and picking up a smaller/lighter dualsport for these sorts of rides.....

Or buy a compromise/hybrid bike like my WR250R ........suitable to ride ANYWHERE but a compromise in other areas like weight/power .... :) :curtsey: