KTMrad

February 2010 DESERT DASH Flyer is Up on Site

I have a conflict w/ the dates so can't attend but do you publish the route afterward for those of us who would like to check out the route? I understand not doing so in advance so you don't have poachers.

Thanks!

pyrate

so im new to this whole planned rides kinda thing and i was wondering what the gas situation is since i have an 07 aprilia rxv 450. because of the year its only got an 8 ltr gas tank on it. am i going to be able to get through with this or should i look into the 12 ltr tank.

so im new to this whole planned rides kinda thing and i was wondering what the gas situation is since i have an 07 aprilia rxv 450. because of the year its only got an 8 ltr gas tank on it. am i going to be able to get through with this or should i look into the 12 ltr tank.

You will be ok for the dash. I don't know what your range is, but you will need about an 80 mile range but there are lots of riders/sweepers that are carrying extra fuel (just in case). Just ride with someone with a bigger tank or carry some fuel. But for many rides I go on, you need 90-100 mile range and it is nice to be able to get 120. With my Husky, I am pushing at 90 miles, I often carry 2 fuel bottles in my Ogio pack so I can do about 105 miles of desert riding. <_< Ken

Pick up a roll chart holder so you know where to go.......that usually helps out a lot with fuel range <_<:good:

You will be ok for the dash. I don't know what your range is, but you will need about an 80 mile range but there are lots of riders/sweepers that are carrying extra fuel (just in case). Just ride with someone with a bigger tank or carry some fuel. But for many rides I go on, you need 90-100 mile range and it is nice to be able to get 120. With my Husky, I am pushing at 90 miles, I often carry 2 fuel bottles in my Ogio pack so I can do about 105 miles of desert riding. :) Ken

hmm... okay looks like i should invest in the 12 ltr then as the 8 ltr only get me around 40 miles but the 12 ltr can get me about 90. thanks for the help and i may just see you all there. :unsure:

Where is the closet place to stay if not staying at Butterflied ranch?

Details are on the flyer.....Julian and Borrego Springs for motels/cabins, bed & breakfast.

Woops.......sorry, I am mistaken, it was removed from the flyer.

Look up Julian Lodging, it's about 25-30 miles away.

Borrego Springs is also about that distance.

Woops.......sorry, I am mistaken, it was removed from the flyer.

Look up Julian Lodging, it's about 25-30 miles away.

Borrego Springs is also about that distance.

Thanks

Randy,

I don't have a ride partner for the event. Will you be partnering up people in the same situation? For those seeking alternative camping (i.e. on a budget) there's always Blair Valley just up the road. And the price is very attractive: free!

Randy,

I don't have a ride partner for the event. Will you be partnering up people in the same situation? For those seeking alternative camping (i.e. on a budget) there's always Blair Valley just up the road. And the price is very attractive: free!

I planned on that last year; it is close and free.... but all the club will be at Butterfield, and it is really nice accommodations for a reasonable rate... You may get better sleep at Blair, though.. :clapping:

As far as a riding partner, it seems like people meet and pair up Friday night, or in the mornings... some people latched on to a passing group, then switched groups at another time... I wouldn't suggest bailing on a group without some sort of notice, though

We had talked about a list on the clubhouse door, so maybe that will still happen... maybe a list of "single" riders, or groups that have room for one more, along with contact info, what kind of bike you're on, and preferred pace/talent

One of the great things about organized dual sport events is that you can fairly safely ride alone (as long as you stay on the course).

you guys that have toyhaulers, do you take them to butterfield? how much is a night there? thanks.

you guys that have toyhaulers, do you take them to butterfield? how much is a night there? thanks.

The rates are posted on their site. Butterfield Ranch

If you make reservations make sure to mention that you are with the Dual Sport ride so you get the group discount.

Are there fire rings? Should I bring firewood to the butterfield? I do not have much small stuff but I have got some big assed log chunks that my son proudly brought home! I will be in the tent camping sites. steve

Yes there are fire rings scattered about.The more firewood the better. The Volunteers area for the dash always has a big fire going and alot of people hang out there and party. :drinks::friends::party:

Last year they did have fire rings. They were just the normal size rings 2.5 ft? diameter. Large enough for a nice fire but not a huge one. I would def bring wood.

Yes there are fire rings scattered about.The more firewood the better. The Volunteers area for the dash always has a big fire going and alot of people hang out there and party. :drinks::friends::party:

If the Schwinn Inn is going to be there, it definitely ends up being Party Central... treated deck lumber, mudslides and pink tutus... how can you go wrong?

If the Schwinn Inn is going to be there, it definitely ends up being Party Central... treated deck lumber, mudslides and pink tutus... how can you go wrong?

Treated deck lumber???

Notice I didnt deny the mudslides or Tutus. lol plus Strawberry Banana Daqueries.

NOTICE: If you are staying in the Schwinn Inn, Bring something, food, BYOB, Munchies and stay out of my toilet.LOL. Over the years Pilot and Joliet have been familiar with this but I think it bothered Joliet so much that he went and bought his own toyhualer trlr so he can have his own toilet. :lol:

OK. I have 6 big log chunks at probably 100 pounds each. Someone else needs to bring some small stuff to get this going. A 2.5' fire ring ought to work. steve

Are there any intermediate level solo riders out there that wish to join up and ride as a group? There is strength in numbers (especially when you have to change a tire)! I am looking for anyone riding on Saturday that wants to join up.

Is this ride recommended for novice riders? I recently picked up a used 1200 GS, completed the rawhyde course but still consider myself a beginner.

Sounds like a blast but not sure what to expect. Not a big fan of deep sand. Please advise.

Is this ride recommended for novice riders? I recently picked up a used 1200 GS, completed the rawhyde course but still consider myself a beginner.

Sounds like a blast but not sure what to expect. Not a big fan of deep sand. Please advise.

Newish Rider......big pig bike ......not fan of sand = This isn't the ride for you (now)